Author Topic: ST:XII  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
ST:XII
« on: June 17, 2010, 12:55:49 PM »
I searched here but didn't come up with anything!

Abrams could do some interesting stuff with the next film.  The obvious tie-ins include everything from the first five-year (three-year) mission to ST:VI.  But fans don't really want to see rehashes of old scripts.  It would be too much "Khan takes ship; ship fights ship; good ship wins", if you get my drift.

I think he (Abrams) could really flesh out a new movie with an appearance by The Sisko.  After all, the wormhole isn't linear, so anything that happens in there happens elsewhere and elsewhen.  All of the Star Treks since The Motion Picture were based around what the Enterprise did.  After the destruction of Vulcan and the subsequent drastic changes in the timeline, the only things that remain from the prime timeline are things like Khan, the Whale Probe and the like.

What other primeTrek (I like that word!) story devices can you think of that wouldn't be affected by the Abrams version?

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
Re: ST:XII
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »
Off the top of my head: V'Ger, Nomad, the Mirror Universe, the Doomsday Machine, Balok and the Fesarius and the Borg

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 02:25:22 PM »
As curious as I am to see how Kirk would handle the Borg, I don't think they can be used intelligently and to the original intent (a frightening, un-defeatable enemy) after Voyager finished with them. Honestly I think this chapter the writers should do something original, since anything else at this point would seem like they're re-hashing a bunch of old stuff.

Offline Side 3

• Cookies: 1
  • All glory to the Haruhi-toad!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 04:13:51 PM »
Q! The Q!

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 05:38:27 AM »
Well having Spock from the prime verse there, he could predict the major problems and give solutions before they really do become problems.

For example send a party back to the 20th Century and get some whales years before the Whale probe shows up.

You could have a Genesis style story to try and restore Vulcan.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline Locke

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 10:40:52 AM »
Well having Spock from the prime verse there, he could predict the major problems and give solutions before they really do become problems.

For example send a party back to the 20th Century and get some whales years before the Whale probe shows up.

You could have a Genesis style story to try and restore Vulcan.

I like this!  A story about the conflict of Spock and his (rational) fear of a superweapon like Genesis versus the compelling want for a new homeworld for all Vulcans certainly raises some interesting plot devices.  Although that's a story far down the line.  Having primeSpock solve all the problems of the movie era seems like a cop-out.  Although how a moral and logical person could possibly avoid telling people about things like V'Ger and the Whale Probe is a problem that Abrams is going to have to address if he wants to keep the original fanbase AT ALL.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 11:35:04 AM »
Other plot devices that JJ could use include: The Guardian of Forever, The Tholian Web (Loved it in TOS), The M5 Supercomputer (sort-of).

Things that could happen earlier: Cardassian Conflict, Possibly the Dominion?
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 12:16:45 PM »
Or the Romulans that didn't go into the 100 years isolation ;)

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 01:17:56 PM »
Having primeSpock solve all the problems of the movie era seems like a cop-out.
Agreed, but we don't have to worry about, Nimoy said he's done and continuing to play Spock in the JJ films as it would be "unfair to Quinto."

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 12:17:56 PM »
Get rid of Abrams, and bring on Frakes. :D
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Locke

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 04:46:47 PM »
Get rid of Abrams, and bring on Frakes. :D

Actually, I tend to agree with that!  I think Frakes is one of the best directors they had for all the TNG era stuff.

Offline metalnick

• Cookies: 13
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 08:45:34 AM »
Yeah either that or bring back the guy who did TWoK. Can't remember his name atm or if he's still around now, but there you go.
Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permitted....

Offline Furyofaseraph

• The FoaS
  • Cookies: 49
    • Robinomicon
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 09:54:38 AM »
Nick Meyers. He was my favorite trek director.

"FoaSize (faux-uh-size): To seduce at an alarming rate with lots of blue and orange." ~ Firedrake

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 01:15:53 PM »
Actually, I tend to agree with that!  I think Frakes is one of the best directors they had for all the TNG era stuff.

Really?  You're actually going to say that?  He did two movies.  One was First Contact, arguably the best TNG movie.  The other was Insurrection, a rousing failure the likes of which hadn't been seen since Star Trek V.

As for storylines involving Spock Prime...I really think that those would be cop outs and dead ends...especially with Nimoy retiring again.  As for V'ger and the whale probe...just because they're still out there doesn't mean the crew will handle the situations the same way.

I think we just need to get back to the basics.  The Klingons.  They haven't been a force to be reckoned with in quite some time, they deserve to shine again.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Locke

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
Really?  You're actually going to say that?

Well, I did, didn't I . . . :roll

I believe he was one of the best.  A mixture of humor and intensity was inherent in each episode he directed.  Enough said.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 02:37:50 PM »
Well I couldn't agree more with Locke... just look at Nemesis, there I see a true failure and point of no return for TNG Trek... yeah and that was some Baird guy who ruined it :mad: I say Frakes did quite a job in directing Trek movies and episodes ;) now go ahead throw rocks on me :P j/k cookies should be enough :funny

Offline Morgan

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »
Nemesis wasn't exactly good, but I don't think its as bad as people say it is. Obviously it would have been a lot better if Franks directed it (I don't know why he wasn't offered in the first place given the success of First Contact and Insurrection), but honestly Baird may have done well enough if he had simply researched the Trek universe (which he didn't). Of course for all the horrible directing, some inconsistent character traits, and C-average plot the movie it did have some redeeming features - Riker and Troi marrying was nice, the battle scenes were cool, and it seemed fitting to end TNG on the prospect of peace with the Romulans like how TOS/TMP ended with peace with the Klingons.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 06:44:26 PM »
Baird was given the job apparently as payment for an editing job or something like that.  Nemesis would have been good if they'd have gotten someone better to play Picard's clone, if the movie hadn't been chopped to bits, and it's Berman's fault for half, Baird for the other.

Frakes did good for the most part, but Insurrection, in retrospect, is horrific.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 07:34:11 PM »
Insurrection, in retrospect, is horrific.
Maybe, but it made money.  :idk:

Offline Locke

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 02:49:39 PM »
Frakes did good for the most part, but Insurrection, in retrospect, is horrific.

Of course it was, but I blame that mostly on a bad script.  The concept was a bit too much like an extended episode, not a movie.  You remember "those" episodes: forgettable, detached from the main concept of the show, and utterly devoid of a broader message.