Author Topic: Roddenberrys original Star Trek concept (complete)  (Read 702 times)

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
Roddenberrys original Star Trek concept (complete)
« on: February 01, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »

http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Star_Trek/1_Original_Series/Star_Trek_Pitch.pdf

:eek damn, that had all the chances to become the easily forgotten B-class scifi show..  :(
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
Re: Roddenberrys original Star Trek concept (complete)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »
Sounds like sliders honestly

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 03:14:22 AM »
I don't know if I would go that far, the concept is very similar to what actually went to air.  Remember, he basically used the "parallel worlds" concept to explain why we can have a Nazi planet, or a Roman Planet.  I don't think Parallel realities are what he had in mind.

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 09:58:05 PM »
This is a great read!  I'm with ACES_HIGH, it's actually very much like what TOS was: a show about exploring the human condition via visiting worlds similar to our own with one or two major exceptions.

Highlights of the read:
-The Enterprise was originally going to be called the S.S. Yorktown.  (This might be why the original name of the Enterprise-A was the USS Yorktown. Thought?)
-The show was to be set "far enough into the future for galaxy travel to be thoroughly established (happily eliminating the need to encumber our stories with tiresome scientific explanation)."  Well, THAT part went well, didn't it?  :funny
-The executive officer was "Never referred to as anything but "Number One".  Gene got to do that in TNG.  Neat!
-McCoy was originally called Phillip "Bones" Boyce.
-When describing the ship, the means of propulsion is given as "Drive -- space-warp (maximum velocity .73 of one light-year per hour)"

And yes, I know this thread is over a month old.  Too bad.  I'm bringing sexy back this thread back.