Author Topic: Year of Hell...wait, what?  (Read 760 times)

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
Year of Hell...wait, what?
« on: March 30, 2012, 05:33:52 PM »
I've been watching Voyager on Netflix and something just occurred to me.  Before she left the ship, Kes had the incident where she was aging backwards through time and she experienced the events that later occurred in Year of Hell.  After she was cured, Kes then warned Janeway to avoid the Krenim at all costs and she was to give a complete report on everything she knew about the Krenim.  Then the actual events of the episode Year of Hell came about.  So why in the name of hell didn't Voyager already have countermeasures for the Krenim torpedoes?  And why didn't they just avoid Krenim space entirely since that was what Kes told them to do??

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
Re: Year of Hell...wait, what?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 05:44:41 PM »
I was actually reading about this yesterday. On Memory Alpha it is speculated that in both cases Voyager was in the same region of space and the Borg had transported Voyager across Borg space as per their agreement using a transwarp conduit or something along those lines

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 07:04:43 PM »
I've been watching Voyager on Netflix and something just occurred to me.  Before she left the ship, Kes had the incident where she was aging backwards through time and she experienced the events that later occurred in Year of Hell.  After she was cured, Kes then warned Janeway to avoid the Krenim at all costs and she was to give a complete report on everything she knew about the Krenim.  Then the actual events of the episode Year of Hell came about.  So why in the name of hell didn't Voyager already have countermeasures for the Krenim torpedoes?  And why didn't they just avoid Krenim space entirely since that was what Kes told them to do??

One could argue, that Annorax and his time-ship might've been changing the timeline around multiple times over between the event of Kes' "aging backwards", and the time leading upto Voyager's "entry" into Krenim space. Remember, as long as Voyager lacked the "temporal shielding", it was constantly getting switched around based on changes to the timeline. Some timelines were worse than others.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:53:17 PM »
It is odd that they foreshadowed it in one episode, and then completely ignored the foreshadowing episode in the foreshadowed episode, despite mirroring some of the foreshadowed scenes!
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 08:11:13 PM »
There's honestly no point in really speculating as to the whys and the hows, as you'll never come to a decisive conclusion aside from, "The writers needed material, and that worked."

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 07:02:18 AM »
One could argue, that Annorax and his time-ship might've been changing the timeline around multiple times over between the event of Kes' "aging backwards", and the time leading upto Voyager's "entry" into Krenim space. Remember, as long as Voyager lacked the "temporal shielding", it was constantly getting switched around based on changes to the timeline. Some timelines were worse than others.

This.

Is the only reason why such a plothole could otherwise exist.. I must say, voyager was getting bad-ass in that episode. Especially a moment when they had the shielding and two krenim warships still attacked voyager. Janeway ordering the other vessels to retreat (they didn't listen) and she just ordered them to pursuit and destroy them. Really holy shit :evil:

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:08:48 AM »
- Before and After (Season 3, Episode 21)
- Year of Hell Part I (Season 4, Episode 8)

By Star Trek time, that could very well be around 6 months between the two. Plenty of time for Annorax to have been fooling around with the timeline, without Voyager's knowledge. (Any changes to the timeline, will invariably effect Voyager as well) No mention of Kes, or her preemptive warnings about the Krenim were made during the Year of Hell episode(s). For all we know, Voyager could've been living out a timeline in which Kes never existed. Atleast, until Janeway collided with the timeship, and reset the timeline.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera