Author Topic: DJ Curtis Model  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
DJ Curtis Model
« on: November 12, 2012, 08:44:06 PM »
I've found a way to make starship models using 3D printing, and I'm considering taking on of DJ's models apart (with his permission of course) and turning it into either a DIY model or a fully-formed version.  If I can get his permission, which on of his ships would you prefer to see fitted out first?  And please keep the named ships to DJ's authorship. ;)

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
Re: DJ Curtis Model
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
His Galaxy Model first and foremost.

but if ANYTHING ELSE.

Do the Century Class  :dontcare:
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Locke

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »
Would you like to have access to a traditional assemble-it-yourself model or a prefab version of ships?

Hobbs: Vivace was one of my first choices, but I've just started work on the Juno.  Of course, if there is some interest in this idea, I might do all of them. ;)

CyAn1d3: I'm not concerned with traditional models, since you can buy extremely accurate versions of nearly every ST vessel created for the shows or movies.  I'm looking at non-canon models, so the Century is a possibility.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:43:47 AM »
First.  Good luck getting in touch with him, he seems to have left these parts.  If you DO get in touch with him, drop a few hints about how much we miss him around here.

Second.  I hate to rain on your parade, but while you could do this for your own personal install, DJ has long had a hard-standing "do not modify and release" policy with ALL of his models.  You could TRY to ask him, but I doubt he has changed his policy even if he seems to have given up modding.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Locke

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »
Shadow, I'm not talking about models for the game.  I'm talking about physical models that you could have on your desk.  I'm fairly sure DJ would be at least a bit excited about this.  And I can probably get him to respond via email.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »
Shadow, I'm not talking about models for the game.  I'm talking about physical models that you could have on your desk.  I'm fairly sure DJ would be at least a bit excited about this.  And I can probably get him to respond via email.
If he does respond, make sure you get him one.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Locke

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 04:33:03 PM »
I believe that would be a fair trade. :thumbsup:

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 04:46:02 PM »
Agreed.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 05:47:19 PM »
I wouldn't mind a model kit of the Century class

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »
Locke, you will have to show us idiots how you are "prepping" these 3d models for model kit production...

i want a few other than DJs down the line, and i know where i can get the 3d printing done ;)
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 05:53:48 PM »
I haven't been very good doing Physical Models for years.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Locke

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »
CyAn1d3, right now all I'm doing is pulling pieces of the mesh apart and creating dozens of actual objects.  This is in preparation for the eventuality that I might make a kit like the ones you buy in the store.  Although for a first run, I might just do one for myself that is one solid piece.  If that is the case, I need to make it "watertight", which is a given for type of project.  The other requirement is that the piece is manifold, which basically means that there are no corners with zero width.  Click on the link, it explains better than I.

So with the above two criteria in mind, I would have to make some serious structural modifications for a kit, seeing as it should be hollow and the pieces must fit together perfectly.  That might require much more of an additional investment to the buyer, since the pieces will take much more time to create.

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 10:11:47 PM »
CyAn1d3, right now all I'm doing is pulling pieces of the mesh apart and creating dozens of actual objects.  This is in preparation for the eventuality that I might make a kit like the ones you buy in the store.  Although for a first run, I might just do one for myself that is one solid piece.  If that is the case, I need to make it "watertight", which is a given for type of project.  The other requirement is that the piece is manifold, which basically means that there are no corners with zero width.  Click on the link, it explains better than I.

So with the above two criteria in mind, I would have to make some serious structural modifications for a kit, seeing as it should be hollow and the pieces must fit together perfectly.  That might require much more of an additional investment to the buyer, since the pieces will take much more time to create.

so your taking the peices off in the 3d model, creating the inner shell for them for their inevitability to be printed as though they were model kit parts.

or are you LITERALLY printing the model as a whole and THEN cutting it apart? (i dont think thats what you meant)
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Locke

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
No no!  The first one, the first one! :funny

It occurs to me that since DJ left us, he's probably either decided he doesn't want to mess with it AT ALL and is sending any emails from those of us here straight to the bin, or he may have actually abandoned that email address.

If either of those is the case (guess we'll never know) would it be bad manners to go ahead without his formal consent?

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 06:04:59 PM »
No no!  The first one, the first one! :funny

It occurs to me that since DJ left us, he's probably either decided he doesn't want to mess with it AT ALL and is sending any emails from those of us here straight to the bin, or he may have actually abandoned that email address.

If either of those is the case (guess we'll never know) would it be bad manners to go ahead without his formal consent?

yea.. we all are hoping he returns in time, but i do have my doubts as real life DOES outweigh our hobby lives.

THAT BEING SAID, i wanna say its 50/50 wether hed be happy or not to find out about this if you just go ahead and do it.

we can only guess at this point...

however, i MUST quote his master permissions post:

USERNAME: DJ Curtis

GENERAL POLICY: I am not currently authorizing the release of derivative works.

CONVERSION POLICY: I am not currently authorizing the conversion of any of my work.

the term "derivative works" i THINK would apply to this unfortunately...

Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »
Best that can be done is just shoot him an e-mail and hope he checks it.  We all hope he returns in time because he had us all excited for the Century 2.0 and his Odyssey, but even so, he's left his mark in many ways.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Locke

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 10:34:35 PM »
Okay.  I suppose I can wait.  It's only been a couple of days since I emailed him, so I can definitely wait a little longer.  I was planning on getting it before Christmas, but maybe I'll just wait a month or two.

Offline Eloi

• Cookies: 67
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 07:52:41 PM »
Hey I know this is kind of an old thread but I just saw it.  I had emailed DJ about 3d printing a ship of his back in June.  (I think it was June)  We have a 3d printer at my school and I wanted to try to print his Century.  He said it was no problem, just that he'd appreciate if I email him some pictures of the final product.  I never did get it printed, but I bet he would be okay with this given that he was ok with me doing it and didn't even know me.  lol
USS Scott download - http://bit.ly/Y4pmbR

Offline Locke

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 03:45:57 PM »
Well, I've run into a few issues.  One being that the detail of pretty much all game models is not sufficient to cast a model from.  The smoothing groups in a model are rendered useless when you send it in to get 3D printed.  To save us all computer effort, all game models utilize smoothing groups to hide the edges of polys.  If I were to print any of the models for BC, we would get models that had very visible edging to them.  So I'm not likely to use any of the ones available for BC, but I'm still researching high-quality models to do this with.