Author Topic: Khan and his augments in SS and TWOK  (Read 578 times)

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
Khan and his augments in SS and TWOK
« on: May 08, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
Not sure if this is the proper spot for this or if this has been discussed before.  But whilst rewatching Space Seed a few days ago, I realized something.  In The Wrath of Khan, Khan himself seems to be the only one of his crew to have AGED.  The rest of his crew in the movie seem to be in their late twenties, early thirties, but Khan looks to be in his 50s?  I have to wonder about that.  Not to mention, you'd think that if they were genetically engineered, they'd be engineered for longer life, extended youth, that kind of thing, right?  What do you guys think?  Think that might have been the intent, but they decided to age up Khan anyways because Montalban was so good in the role?

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Re: Khan and his augments in SS and TWOK
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 03:40:47 PM »
I believe Khan has always looked a decade or two older than his compatriots.  Makes him sort of their father.  And since Khan was the only one awakened in Space Seed, perhaps not all the augments were awakened right away on Ceti Alpha so that there were less mouths to feed, preserving their youth for a bit longer.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
I dunno about that.  Khan brought his entire crew out of cryosleep and ditched the Botany Bay.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 12:27:18 AM »
I recommend the novel "To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh". Explains quite a bit.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »
What I came up with in my head is that since there are so few seen, they are the first generation born on the planet.  Due to being born of genetically engineered stock they would look early 20sish by the time they were in the 16 - 18 range.
There's just barely enough time for that to have happened.  Most of the original crew died out and Khan looks older because of the stress inherent with surviving on Ceti Alpha V.  (Also a factor on making the rest look older.)

Joshmaul if you could PM me the explanation from "To Reign in Hell" I'd be quite grateful.
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.