Author Topic: Dodging Pulse Questions  (Read 665 times)

Offline TChapman500

• Cookies: 0
    • Team Chapman Racing
Dodging Pulse Questions
« on: January 21, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »
I've founding very difficult to dodge a pulse weapon.  Exactly how would I do it?  Changing the direction the ship is moving doesn't seem to work at all.  What are some useful tactics for dodging pulse weapons?

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
Re: Dodging Pulse Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »
Regarding pulse weapons, the closer you are to the enemy, the more likely they will hit.

Changing direction does normally work under these circumstances, as does changing speed.

Which ships in particular are you having trouble with?
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline TChapman500

• Cookies: 0
    • Team Chapman Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:44:37 PM »
Any vessel vs any pulse-armed vessel.  I usually pick Federation, sometimes Borg.  My primary enemy is usually Federation or Klingon.

EDIT:  With the KM 1.0 mod, it's usually the Sovereigns quantum pulse weapons that I can't dodge.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 06:26:18 PM »
Well the Quantum pulse weapon is basically a torpedo script, so it tracks you, a few other ships have torpedo weapons under the 'pulse' category, usually to avoid issues with MVAM, or to use two types of torpedo at once (ala Sovereign).
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline NatsuKagura

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 02:35:09 AM »
Dodging pulse or torpedo....
well u can start to do something similar to this....
- let's say the enemy is coming from 12 o'clock with 30 km distance and firing a disruptor.  :eek
1. turn ur nose as hard as possibel to the left/right, so the enemy will be on ur 3 or 9 o'clock.
2. at the same time drop ur speed from maximum speed forward (9) into maximum reverse engine (R), and pull down or up ur ships at once as hard as possible by pressing upward/downward button. And keep reversing!  :yay:
3. if the timing is right ,the disruptor fire will passing just under or above ur ship.  :bow:
4. but if u are dodging torpedoes, the torpedo will try to match ur maneuver even after u'r reversing, then give her a full forward throttle  :dance just after the torpedoes beginning to change direction, while still holding the same upward/downward button. :hurr: (see point 2 above).
5. if the timing is right ,the torpedoes will passing just under or above ur ship. :bow:
Well that's only basic though.... u can improve it with training.  ;)

Just keep in mind that every torpedo has a limited guidance lifetime which is indicate they will try to lock on u for a specific time with a certain maneuver rating. Ur job is to make a sharp maneuver to outmaneuver while taking some distance by forcing it (the torpedo) to take a longer distance & time so at the time they reach u, the torpedo can't turn anymore or out of guidence lifetime & make sure that ur ship is already out of their line of fire. Whether u are succedeed to outrun them or outmaneuver them with a sharper turn.  
Dodging Disruptor could be easier or harder since the success probability is depend on their speed  :dance, though they doesn't have guidance ability. So they only hit to where u are standing at the time they'r shooting.
 :yay:
but as majormagma said earlier ; "the closer you are to the enemy, the more likely they will hit." since u doesn't enough room to maneuver  :angel . At this case, I usually rotate my ship and let strongest shield  :evil: to take the hit. :banghead:

Dodging disruptors and torpedo is one of the most fun part of the Startrek BC.   ;)

Squad 17 Gotei 14! U.S.S.NatsuKagura , Reporting for duty SSSIIIIIRRRR...........!!!!

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 08:41:40 PM »
The nice thing about the above-described torpedo jink maneuver is that if you come out of it right, you'll be facing in the general direction of the attacking ship, so you can usually unload your forward weapons in his face while he reloads, and score a few hits with dorsal and lateral arrays when you pass him.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!