Author Topic: KDF veS mupwI' class (Hammer of War) concept work  (Read 1493 times)

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Re: KDF veS mupwI' class (Hammer of War) concept work
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 09:51:25 AM »
I would only angle them if that kink were smoothed out.  The harsh bend just looks awkward.

Offline Lord Tribble

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 04:28:47 PM »
Ah, I assumed the first pics were combat mode pics since they looked a somewhat downwards. Perhaps the bend I suggested isn't necessary, could we see the original shape in all three positions?

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
  • Cookies: 531
  • Welcome to the Dark Side
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 05:33:56 PM »
I agree that the original looks better as well. It just flows better with the overall design of the ship, to have weapons that are in the same angle plane as the wing itself.

Here is a set of pictures from the original wing configuration. It's worthy to note that the the Warp/Landing position for the wings is much more shallow with the normal cannon position, because the weapon position is shallow enough to allow proper clearance for the landing gear. Otherwise, if I angle the weapons more I have to raise the wings higher to compensate, which looks odd to me.

Here you go.

Offline Lord Tribble

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »
Yeah, that looks perfectly fine to me  :thumbsup:

Though I always liked how, in the original bop design, the wings raised right up with a bend in them made the ship look like a vulture

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 02:47:14 AM »
I could do that in this case, but the problem there is the way the wings are connected to the main hull. In this case they have a common pivot that runs through the Y Axis rotating the coils inside a sheath in the hull. This means that about 20 percent or so of the wing moves in opposite axis to the wing, causing the edge closest to the hull to drop when the wing rises, rise when it drops (as seen in the picture).

Now...that means that, in order to have the "Vulture" high wing position, the inner wing pivot would be pointing down at an angle, and it creates an odd imbalance in the overall appearance IMO.

That is why I keep the north position of the wing as shallow as possible, so I can have that inside section of the wing as flat on the plane as it can be.

I have added new weapons to the ship, dual cannons on each inner wing tip, as well as a single cannon on the port and starboard side of the ventral hull, underneath the wings. This ships weaponry should be formidable considering it's role and class.

Offline Lord Tribble

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 03:09:28 AM »
That's cool  ;)

That last image is the landing position right? It still looks like they need to go a bit higher for it to park, there's still a good deal of space between the bottom of the guns and the hull. Unless I've missed something?

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 04:51:55 AM »
No, your right...this ship, when landing has high ground clearance. That means part of the landing gear has to be long and large. I decided to set up the gear a bit different...a combination of short gear in the wings, and two gear legs fore and aft along the centerline of the ship.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 05:10:07 AM »
Not sure about the landing gear retracting from wings ... It would mean the ship needs a hell of a landing zone, if it's supposed to be fairly small vessel it should be able to land almost everywhere ... but then again wings configuration won't allow for that anyway :P

still I think landing gear retracting from underside of "radiation buffles" / warp coils and one from the connection to the head would be the best option and it would be kept in BoP style ;)

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 06:32:53 AM »
Well, It's a good point, but keep in mind that this ship is 340 meters long, 485 meters or so wide when the wings are in landing mode. So the landing area needs to be rather huge anyway.

The original BOP landing gear, for the "brel" class at least was simply two gear legs that were in the middle of the ventral hull, extending out from the sphere bulge on the ventral aft area of the ship. One assumes the ship was balanced on set of gear, but it was an odd setup (and looked unstable to me).

I designed both the MavQ and the qajunpaQ (blade and courage) to have a more sensible "tripod" landing gear configuration, which would give them more stability. The problem here is, frankly the wings.

I decided to make the wings very large, very thick and sturdy to give the ship a certain profile, especially from a dorsal or ventral view, but then that poses problems for a "tricycle" gear kind of configuration. The wings are so low in the highest position that giving the ship a tricycle gear setup would probably not support the massive wings properly.

In space the size of the wings is not a problem. On a planet, however, the mass of the wings would pose many problems...problems shared with the Nethak. One way to solve these problems when the ship is at rest, without having them collapse under their own weight without a constant SIF running is to give them support by placing smaller gear directly under the wings.

For modern ideas of wing support you could look at a B-52 or U-2...in both cases they have large wings that need support by placing gear close to the wing edge.

So here is my idea...one gear for the rear, but then two on the wings.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 01:16:45 PM »
Might I suggest four?  The craft coming to mind are the B-52 and Harrier - both have four gear.  I was thinking what would look cool is if the bridge area had a combined gear/boarding ramp, perhaps for quick troop deployment.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 02:10:12 PM »
Something like this?

Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline FarShot

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 02:20:58 PM »
Preferably much less shovel-like, but in that placement yes.

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 11:04:50 PM »
There is a ramp both in the forward crew module and to the rear just behind the rear launcher. The existence of both ramps is what caused the problem of the single landing gear in the middle in the first place...I could make the forward ramp a landing platform of sorts, but having it always down...not sure about that.

Let me play around with it a bit and see how it turns out.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 12:33:55 AM »
Well the ramp doesn't have to always be down like the Millenium Falcon's for example.  Perhaps it'd be best if I put my idea in sketch form.

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 03:54:47 AM »
I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

In the mean time I will continue the early texture work and mess around with the landing gear ideas.

Offline Lord Tribble

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 08:09:32 AM »
what if the wing landing gear was simply the some of the bottom panels of the gun units that extended slightly on chunkier supports?
something a bit like this;

I'd also maybe angle the wings up just a little more (not to the extent we talked about earlier) to get the main bulk a bit lower to the ground.
Your positioning makes sense to me given the size of the design, it's just the tall spindly supports that look a bit too frail to me.

Also, for the middle one, check out how samus's ship lands in metroid prime 3; http://youtu.be/3BZdxI2mmlU?t=2m19s
something similar could work pretty well for this I think

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2014, 09:06:47 PM »
what if the wing landing gear was simply the some of the bottom panels of the gun units that extended slightly on chunkier supports?
something a bit like this;

I'd also maybe angle the wings up just a little more (not to the extent we talked about earlier) to get the main bulk a bit lower to the ground.
Your positioning makes sense to me given the size of the design, it's just the tall spindly supports that look a bit too frail to me.

Also, for the middle one, check out how samus's ship lands in metroid prime 3; http://youtu.be/3BZdxI2mmlU?t=2m19s
something similar could work pretty well for this I think

Not bad, but placing the wing gear right under the cannon puts all the stress of the wing weight and the hull on the arch in the wing, so I think that would not be practical.

The idea of bringing them inboard slightly, but angled outward, pushes out on the wing, putting stress on the pivot, right where it should be. This way all the stress of the weight is either on the gear or on the pivot.

I could bring it closer to the ground, but making the guns more shallow like they were originally. I can also improve the wing angle by leveling out the inboard wing more if needed.

Perhaps I have to play with the wing design a bit more.

Offline Lord Tribble

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2014, 03:59:21 AM »
I won't pretend to understand how it makes a difference to the stress but I'll take your word for it. There's clearly a lot of thought put into what you're doing  ;)

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2014, 05:44:49 PM »
Probably far too much thought. I figured all this out just to decide where to place the details on the hull for the landing gear. It's a ridiculous amount of calories burned for a detail that most folks will never notice or care about.

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 04:41:14 PM »
Sorry guys, I got a bit sidetracked messing around with a few ideas for the Ares class Battleship. I'll get back to this mesh shortly.