Author Topic: Hello,  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Shermanator1987

• Cookies: 0
Hello,
« on: September 02, 2014, 03:59:43 PM »
I am not very good at modding and i was wondering would someone help me with the uss typhon out of star trek invasion?

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
Re: Hello,
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »
do you have any modelling programs?

a free one is Gmax

if you have that or 3ds Max then im sure we can help you create the ship yourself.
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Shermanator1987

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 05:11:21 PM »
i already have the 3ds made its just after that idk what to do that is why i am asking for a little help

Offline hobbs

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 05:22:10 PM »
i already have the 3ds made its just after that idk what to do that is why i am asking for a little help

ok can you show us what you have so far?
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:09:35 PM »
good point, Hobbs.  let's get this guy set up to Kibbutz(critique) the model for the next step.  see if anything needs to be done to get it to work right with the old engine.  

btw, welcome.  it's nice to see a fresh modelling face.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Shermanator1987

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 09:21:28 PM »
thanks and i have the model ready its just the texture and all the other things i need help with

Offline hobbs

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 07:30:19 AM »
thanks and i have the model ready its just the texture and all the other things i need help with

yes... how is the exporting to a different format coming.

guys just in case shermanator is having any exporting issues... how do we get a milkshape file into bc? how do I convert it to max or nif?

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 07:42:47 AM »
guys just in case shermanator is having any exporting issues... how do we get a milkshape file into bc? how do I convert it to max or nif?

AFAIK (It's has been some time since I had milkshape installed, so this might not necessary be the case anymore) Milkshape has a build in exporter to several 'standard' file formats --including whatever 3dMax/Gmax uses.
For direct nif conversion there was this exporter. But i think it screws up any/most smoothing groups.

About textures and other things, there is still the Modding Tutorial section.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 12:13:30 PM »
long story short, you can export milkshape file to 3do or something like that, then import it in NifSkope, there you can convert it into NIF. If everything goes right, you get yourself a nicely smoothed and clean model ready for BC ;) you just have to look up what formats are allowed for import in NifSkope

Offline Shermanator1987

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »
ok i have it in nif now i am trying to figure out the texture part.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 08:54:09 PM »
c'mon, man, let's see what you built.  bare models are on here all the time.  and if something derped in the conversion to NIF, mabey we can spot something.

as for textures, the model has to be "unwrapped" (the various parts laid out on a flat plain), then the texture can be started.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline hobbs

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 08:38:20 AM »
Shermanator passes it over to me its ok but unfortunatly its not a solid model... what I mean by that is I think it needs its verts welded.
once I've sorted that ill need to combine the polys and then try unwrapping it.

Its a good model too.

Shermanator: can you export as a 3ds or gmax file... it might be better for me to look at converting it to nif.

Offline Shermanator1987

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 08:27:26 PM »
i have changed it to 3ds

Offline hobbs

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 06:31:13 AM »
Cool... ill be home tommorow so you can send it then :)

Kcs: a pic will be posted when its smoothed (unless shermanator wants to post one from his milkshape version)

Offline Shermanator1987

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 04:47:59 PM »
yeah i can send it to you when you get home

Offline hobbs

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »
well Sherm sent me the 3ds file and it worked in my 3dsmax... joy!

here is a quick look in game with a quick window texture glow and hull texture.
Shermanator is looking to texture her though hes currently looking for a program to do it with... any ideas guys? whats a good free art program?

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
Best bet would be the GIMP ;) tho he can get relatively cheap Paint Shop Pro ;) 8 is  really cheap, I worked with it for 4 years and it was really good ;) 9, X and above are slightly more expensive but they are still really cheap compared to PS

Offline hobbs

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 07:28:18 PM »
lol well im using paint shop pro 7 and it does me fine (i even managed to do light glows)

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 08:03:33 PM »
See ? ;) if you know what you're doing even paint.net will be good enough but let's not be too extreme :P GIMP is really nice tool, for free ;)

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 10:20:49 PM »
lol well im using paint shop pro 7 and it does me fine (i even managed to do light glows)

I will also recommend you GIMP, I also use PSP7 but GIMP has the ability to do some other things that are either too complicated on PSP7 or impossible. I have both on my comp and go back and forth when I need it. It's free too so unless you tight on space, try it.

;)

Although I warn you if you are very used to PSP7; at first GIMPs layout is a little disorienting but you will eventually get use to it and there's lots of tutorials.

Adam