Author Topic: Bridge commander Quickbattle error problem...again  (Read 789 times)

Offline Flowrellik

• Cookies: 7
Bridge commander Quickbattle error problem...again
« on: January 29, 2015, 07:44:56 PM »
THIS TIME: I have been using ships from WickedZombie and Starforce productions.
Idk what is going on here but my Bridge commander keeps crapping out after a certain number of ships is added regardless of creator.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Re: Bridge commander Quickbattle error problem...again
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 11:59:09 PM »
I don't have a solution.  What I have is a tear.  A tear from my eye, a tear of joy.  Joy from knowing that after all this time, there's still use, there's still life in this subforum.  *sniffle*  Bravo, Bridge Commander.  Bravo, Flowrellik.  Bravo, community.

Offline Flowrellik

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 01:12:52 AM »
sighs...yeah.
I wish this game would still go even farther. seems like alot of people are just...dissapeared.
I remember back in the day I just started out as helping my dad with some weird mods, one of which is the Dambassador (the Red and Green menance). I gave him the texture idea for the ship.
I just hope that this site and this game will still have a good bit of life to it.
That said, I still need assistance....badly.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 03:50:16 PM »
Something about... foundation or something?  I know a couple of the dudes here still have the game installed.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 04:50:17 PM »
Might be BC engine hitting it's polygon render cap, or simply your machine can't handle certain ammount of ships ...

Mind telling us how many ships you added ?

Does console report anything useful ? go on and share the report here, it might help ;)

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:59:42 AM »
agreed with bones.

also id check the texture sizes... mine goes down if i use even a few with 2048 textures infact i think even one does it... i have to resize them before use
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 04:23:28 PM »
More details:
1. How many ships?
2. Texture sizes of ships?
3. After how much time of playing did the game crash?
4. Installed mods list?
5. Computer specs?
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Flowrellik

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 09:26:20 PM »
I have 95 ships in my files but for foundation I keep the stock ships off. I add one more ship and BC goes poof when I go quickbattle (and it doesnt matter what size of texture).

I am aiming for a Tos/TMP Era fleet.
Trying to keep the ships interesting. Each ship from each faction can have their own special arsenal and ways of attack, including special weapons for some ships. The branches are as follows: Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Gorn, Andromedan, Hydran, Orion, Lyran, and a few misc ships like Tholian and classic ships *even adding in the Promellian ships*
Most of the ships I have are of lower poly like starforce productions and wickedzombie's ships, but I added in Wiley's Excelsiors, both NX and NCC.
I might have a couple with hi-res'd textures that go above 2048, like DMAkula, TMP Constitution....TMP Miranda class USS Britain....
oh wow.
IS there a better way around this. I never had this problem before and its killing me.

Timing before this happened is limited. when I added one more ship then went Quickbattle, crashes instantaneously.

My PC is an HP p6-2143w with 8GB RAM, windows 7 64bit, AMD A6-3650APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.60GHz.

The Mutators are standard. MVAM Infinite, Foundation, BCS:TB set, QBautostart, Submenu, NanoFX 2.0 Beta. I just kept stock ships off for a better fleet.

EDIT: Apparently its because of the dreaded BC memory leak. Honestly I wish someone would make a fix for this damn problem. If someone can find out what causes STBC to do said memory link and fix it, ALOT of problems can be solved and maybe STBC can be more thrivable.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 02:41:18 PM »
The BC memory leak can NEVER be fixed, because Activision-Blizzard has NEVER released the actuall engine/exe for repair.  this is why excalibur is being made in the first place.

I think it's the same problem facing two RPG's I know of.  neither the original Super Mario RPG NOR the first two of capcom's Breath of Fire series can ever be re-released due to Sqeenix owning HALF the rights to both games.  no side wanths to budge, and it's just cheaper to let everything die.

I used to have several tweaks I applied to BC to slow crashes by overload.  most of them involved only certian mutators being on for mods, plus I allocated 10 GIG of virtual ram to slow down derps.
there's a tweak in the newer KM's that disables about 50% of the NanoFX items, which seem to trigger a lot of them.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Flowrellik

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 04:12:07 PM »
Yeah I heard about the stabilizer as well. I might try that out if things get too severe. Doesn't also deleting the vox files help as well?
I also wondered if Excalibur project would be made so you can directly import ships from BC easy, despite being different game.
 (I know too many questions. don't kill me.)

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 07:38:41 PM »
I believe from KM 1.1, several elements were pruned from Nano (mostly the plasma explosions), as they were found to be the the key items that caused BC to cough up a hairball.  my BC would max out somewhere near four GIG of memory before it would collapse (and then only if a few of Baz's JJverse ships popped up in my Gal Charts fleet)
I was cleaning out vox's as a matter of course, eventually.
the point behind excalibur was to redo the engine for higher def textures and larger screen sizes PLUS the ability to bring in the old mods.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Flowrellik

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 11:02:58 PM »
Yeah. I just found out that Nano causes ALOT of the memoryleaks. I did a test with nanoFX turned off and it works perfectly.
I can maybe trick the system like turn it off then back on.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 05:43:19 AM »
hmmm thats really good to know Flowrellik thankn you.... means i can have longer BC trek fun :D
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 12:53:30 PM »
Me too :) it's always like 3 rounds of QB then CTD for me ;)

Offline Flowrellik

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 04:23:42 PM »
I FOUND A GRAND FIX.
BCStabilizer + NanoFXSpecularfix
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Nano_FX_2_Specular_Fix;96773
now I just need to figure out why some ships when specular is on glows (MAINLY 3 ships. The Komo Vals and the Accuser Dreadnaught)

Offline hobbs

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 06:42:51 PM »
I FOUND A GRAND FIX.
BCStabilizer + NanoFXSpecularfix
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Nano_FX_2_Specular_Fix;96773
now I just need to figure out why some ships when specular is on glows (MAINLY 3 ships. The Komo Vals and the Accuser Dreadnaught)

I think i had that... is it because there are no alpha chanels created for the textures... im sure i made a ship with speculars or glows and didnt have alpha chenels saved in the texture and it mad my ship glow.

Offline Flowrellik

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 09:06:14 PM »
So is there a fix somewhere for this problem?
EDIT: Some screenies to help. This only happens to the Komo Vals and Accuser. all 3 by Zombie Zan
Without Specular

With Specular

usually with my ships they end up looking rather Amazing looking but this is sad.
So is there anyway to fix this plz? I would like to have all my ducks in order so this

can look like this

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 01:31:03 AM »
look for the fix bright glow bug option in the nano fx menu
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Flowrellik

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 01:45:09 AM »
It does it regardless of bright glow bug on or off.

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 09:03:01 AM »
Try converting the textures to a .bmp and then back to a .tga, sometimes if a .tga says that it has no alpha data it can contain some anomalous data regarding the alpha channel, by converting to a .bmp you are completely zero-ing that data so that when you convert back to a .tga that data stays zeroed in the file, then all you need to do is go into a program like Photoshop and add an alpha channel to it that is completely black and save, then it should be fixed.