Author Topic: UFOP Type 1 combat pod  (Read 559 times)

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
  • Cookies: 531
  • Welcome to the Dark Side
    • Personal ModDB site
UFOP Type 1 combat pod
« on: February 07, 2015, 04:02:10 PM »
Here is the current shuttle I am working on. It is a standard Type 1 Pod (Marines do not use "shuttles"), the smallest pod in the Marine inventory.

It has room for up to 3 people but is essentially a one person pod. There will be widebody, open top, transport and workbee versions of this pod. This would be the utility version.

Marines affectionately call the pod a "Cap", based on it's designation (PCAP: Pod, Combat, All Purpose).

The vessel has limited combat capability and armor. Think of it like a Jeep.

The design was inspired by the Type 18 shuttle, though this version is much smaller than that ship. She is still a work in progress, but you get the gist.

Offline Flowrellik

• Cookies: 7
Re: UFOP Type 1 combat pod
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 04:47:50 PM »
oh my.
That looks pretty cool.
Is it possible if I may ask, would this come in TMP Flavoring *the ball phaser turrets*?

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 04:53:55 PM »
Hot stuff !!

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 06:39:24 PM »
very very good pod there dude!!
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 07:30:30 PM »
Oh boy. That is very nice. I'm glad you still making these beauties. Don't forget your Klingons too.

Adam out

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 10:48:52 PM »
Oh yea, still have the Klingons in the que. Just wanted to do some of my Feds, and figured I would start at the very bottom.

I have some interesting pod and fighter mesh concepts I created, and they are easier to texture than full size ships.

Latest pics, a few mesh tweaks and more texture work. She has a dorsal, ventral and aft hatch. I also added two microtorp launchers to the stern.

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 11:57:20 PM »
Oh my, it's coming along beautifully. I'm glad there's still life around here, thanks again for making us some wonderful ships. It's appreciated!!!

Adam

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 10:55:15 AM »
That's seriously cool.  I like it.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 10:56:12 AM »
the only thing I'd change is the Marines logo.  the USMC badge is a nice little touch, however, it would probably have had an update, even something relatively minor by now.  also, I'd double check whether or not the Corps has a copyright on that design, just in case someone decides to be anal :P  personally, I'd darken that up to a more Field Service appearance, rather than the bright.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 11:44:51 AM »
I hear what you are saying about the USMC badge, but I think I'm going to keep it as is. It is actually redesigned...the interior, instead of a earth globe, is the federation logo, something like this...

http://www.planetsmc.de/pics/logo.jpg

Here are a few beauty shots. There is still some work to be done on the lighting, speculars and the like, but it's coming along. Close to being finished now.

BTW, Matt ids are assigned so a person can easily change the logos, words, numbers and such to what they want.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 11:32:47 AM »
okay, cool and sneaky at the same time on the logo.  you can't tell from the shots.  thanks for providing the link to a big badge.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 08:26:39 PM »
okay, cool and sneaky at the same time on the logo.  you can't tell from the shots.  thanks for providing the link to a big badge.

Your welcome. Some versions of the symbol vary from the original quite a bit, but I like the idea of placing the 3 planet logo from UFOP inside the original USMC badge, where Earth used to be. Makes the most sense to me.

I have created Marine vessels with some different trademarks to set them apart....

First, they have a general mix of hull patterns, between a Defiant type (with green hues instead of blue) and the Sov. Most patterns are two tone, light pattern on the dorsal side, darker on the ventral side. This represents that the hulls are designed with modern materials and armor, all the way down to the smallest shuttle.

Also, almost all ships have some kind of armament. This is a force multiplier.

Third, they all carry the SFMC symbol, and the numbers/letters are a bit different. You will see "Starfleet Marine Corps" in the banner. There is no name for smaller ships, and they rarely if ever list the ship they are assigned to...instead they carry a plain numerical designation. Also, most ships in the Marine fleet have reduced illumination and even have a different color for their deflectors...yellow instead of blue.

Finally, the designations are different. Instead of NCC you will see specific ship class designations, like "BB" and the like.

For instance, the Battleship "Spartan", Ares class reads something like this....

SMS Spartan, BB-123

SMS stands for "Starfleet Marine corps Starship", whereas I contend USS stands for "United federation of planets Starfleet Starship". BB is the designation for a Battleship, and all Battleships have that designation. Since this is a new registry, the ship numbers actually represent the total number of that class in order.

This makes it very easy to identify Marine ships compared to Starfleet vessels.