Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery Discussion (WARNING: SPOILERS)  (Read 22044 times)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
Star Trek Discovery (WARNING: SPOILERS)
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2017, 04:24:35 PM »
The Keepers of the Canon

So don't expect the Romulans, or at least don't expect visual communications.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2017, 07:34:24 PM »
Have to laugh that they are honoring canon, yet have an Android crewmember on the Shenzhou (or Discovery) in a Starfleet uniform. Yet we know, Data was first. Androids exist in TOS-era, but Data was definitely the first Starfleet Android.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2017, 07:54:40 PM »
They are calling it a robot not an android. TOS has had several Android/Robots through out its run. Data was the first "Android" to serve under Star Fleet.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2017, 02:23:02 AM »
So basically Neb, half your comment just repeated what I said (the part about there being Androids in TOS) :P

The difference between a Robot and Android: One is sentient, the other is not, and Androids are usually made to appear more "Human" than normal Robots.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »
found this cool pic someone did of what the Discovery Bridge would look like in TNG-era...
oh how i wish this could have been the bridge instead!!

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2017, 05:26:59 PM »
Discovery premiers tonight!  After 12 years it's finally time for a new Trek episode!

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2017, 05:30:33 PM »
yeah i am dubious in many ways...
i will watch it and give it a fair shot of course but there is alot about it that ive seen i just am let down by already...

Offline Morgan

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2017, 05:43:39 PM »
yeah i am dubious in many ways...
i will watch it and give it a fair shot of course but there is alot about it that ive seen i just am let down by already...
I've gone back and forth, but lately I'm optimistic.  The props have modern 2017 production values that are still paying homage to TOS, and the writing staff includes some very talented names (*cough* Nick Meyer *cough*).  What little feedback that's out there is positive, so I'm letting myself get hyped.

Offline Blackrook32

• BC Files Admin
  • Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1077
    • Blackrook32's YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2017, 05:55:23 PM »
I've gone back and forth, but lately I'm optimistic.  The props have modern 2017 production values that are still paying homage to TOS, and the writing staff includes some very talented names (*cough* Nick Meyer *cough*).  What little feedback that's out there is positive, so I'm letting myself get hyped.

My expectations for Discovery will be measured. I remember how much people wanted Enterprise to follow establish canon. Not going threw that roller caster again. I like what I've seen so far, but in the end; the proof is in the storytelling.

" Fortune Favors the Bold "

Offline Morgan

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2017, 06:29:16 PM »
I remember how much people wanted Enterprise to follow establish canon. Not going threw that roller caster again. I like what I've seen so far, but in the end; the proof is in the storytelling.
Agreed.  I re-watched Enterprise in my early 20s and actually found it wasn't as big a canon-violator as people complained about when it was airing.  I think Enterprise's problems were writer burnout in seasons one and two (since there was so much TNG/Voyager-style rehashes those years) and UPN not allowing Trek to take a break after Voyager.

Seasons three and four of Enterprise are two of my favorite seasons in Trek now-a-days.

Offline Blackrook32

• BC Files Admin
  • Vice Administrator
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2017, 09:56:02 PM »
OK, I'm in for now. The premiere was... satisfactory.

Offline Trim

• BCN/BCU Veteran
  • Cookies: 74
  • Moderator of redundancy Moderator
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2017, 09:59:42 PM »
Personally I was totally unimpressed, certainly not enough to make me pay to watch it which is a load of crap.  Well done CBS on alienating the majority of your fan base.

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2017, 10:53:31 PM »
Well I just watched both parts and color me impressed. Still not sure where it will go as we won't see the Discovery until next week. The opening eps were there to setup Burnham's story.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2017, 11:32:08 PM »
I enjoyed "The Vulcan Hello", but I don't see myself getting CBS All Access for one show.  I don't need another streaming service (that still has ads even with a subscription).  I'll buy the blu rays though.

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2017, 11:43:26 PM »
First week is free. So you can catch part two then cancel then after if you like.

Offline Blackrook32

• BC Files Admin
  • Vice Administrator
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2017, 02:58:48 AM »
I enjoyed "The Vulcan Hello", but I don't see myself getting CBS All Access for one show.  I don't need another streaming service (that still has ads even with a subscription).  I'll buy the blu rays though.

Exact same thought here.  :vb_shakehead:

The characters interaction was shaky at best, but that can be approved on. The premier was just a tease. I'll wait until next year, to get the first season on blu ray (only as a box set).

Personally I was totally unimpressed, certainly not enough to make me pay to watch it which is a load of crap.  Well done CBS on alienating the majority of your fan base.

The visual effects were stunning, but that not a reason to watch the show alone. Nope, not going to pay for a subscription. Discovery maybe many things, but a precursor to the TOS prime universe is not one of them. If this is how the Four Years war started; I'm not impressed. It was Ok, but just ok.

Klingons that look like the SG:A Wraiths... LOL :rolleyes

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2017, 03:16:23 AM »
ok im on the fence and will give another episode or two a shot...

it doesnt really feel trek-ish much, it was cool hearing TNG/DS9/Voy bridge sfx alerts and console notifications...  however, to keep with continuity, i think they should have just stuck to TOS sfx, or slightly better but based on the same original ones...
i really really like the Shenzou as a ship and the bridge layout, how i wish that could be the lead permanent ship instead...  i just dont like the huge triangle with a circle that is Discovery design...  i dont think ill be able to like that ship but maybe just tolerate it...

Klingons are rather over the top, IMO...  im not sold on the look of them much at all either... a little too obnoxious looking and hollywoodized...

federation uniforms are kinda ok...  i wish it was more like TOS with the officer position (command/sci med/ops eng) and i wish the rank insignia was more pronounced instead of tiny little circles on comm badge (tho it isnt a comm badge i know) you really have to focus to see who is what rank...  i do like they keep consistent with TNG, DS9 and Voy pips, tho even something more like TOS would have been just fine too...

i dunno, im sort of halfway there to totally loving it and excited about it...
ill watch the next one and take it ep by ep for a little while and maybe it will grow on me... but im only slightly patient on my end currently lol

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2017, 07:14:39 AM »
i think they should have just stuck to TOS sfx, or slightly better but based on the same original ones...

Pay very close attention when they are on the bridge they have the TOS console and bridge sounds.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2017, 10:42:30 AM »
ok im on the fence and will give another episode or two a shot...

it doesnt really feel trek-ish much, it was cool hearing TNG/DS9/Voy bridge sfx alerts and console notifications...  however, to keep with continuity, i think they should have just stuck to TOS sfx, or slightly better but based on the same original ones...
i really really like the Shenzou as a ship and the bridge layout, how i wish that could be the lead permanent ship instead...  i just dont like the huge triangle with a circle that is Discovery design...  i dont think ill be able to like that ship but maybe just tolerate it...

Klingons are rather over the top, IMO...  im not sold on the look of them much at all either... a little too obnoxious looking and hollywoodized...

federation uniforms are kinda ok...  i wish it was more like TOS with the officer position (command/sci med/ops eng) and i wish the rank insignia was more pronounced instead of tiny little circles on comm badge (tho it isnt a comm badge i know) you really have to focus to see who is what rank...  i do like they keep consistent with TNG, DS9 and Voy pips, tho even something more like TOS would have been just fine too...

i dunno, im sort of halfway there to totally loving it and excited about it...
ill watch the next one and take it ep by ep for a little while and maybe it will grow on me... but im only slightly patient on my end currently lol
Trek spinoffs are notorious for being shaky in their first two seasons, so I'd suggest probably giving it more than just a couple more episodes.

Last thing I want is another Enterprise-like situation where people nitpick it to death, the show is cancelled, and then 10 years later people re-watch it and go "hmm... This really isn't as bad as people said it was/I remember"...

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2017, 11:39:51 AM »
Pay very close attention when they are on the bridge they have the TOS console and bridge sounds.
yeah i did catch that...

and then 10 years later people re-watch it and go "hmm... This really isn't as bad as people said it was/I remember"...
yes it is lol