Author Topic: Are .nif files the 3d models for ships?  (Read 542 times)

Offline Offlithium

• Cookies: 2
  • BCC Member
Are .nif files the 3d models for ships?
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:54:01 AM »
And if so, are there any free programs that can edit/create these?

If you were wondering, I'm planning a 50th anniversary TOS mega-pack (a bit late, I know)

Offline andyp

• Cookies: 28
Re: Are .nif files the 3d models for ships?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:59:26 AM »
Yes, and yes.

Nif Scope can be used to convert the models to .obj and from there they can be imported into any modeling program.

Blender has a .nif import / export plugin.

But the model format is only one piece of the puzzle, there is also scripting and something with Max 3.1 that you need to do
You may know me as Batoy853 elsewhere...

Offline Offlithium

• BCC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 12:06:55 PM »
Yes, and yes.

Nif Scope can be used to convert the models to .obj and from there they can be imported into any modeling program.

Blender has a .nif import / export plugin.

But the model format is only one piece of the puzzle, there is also scripting and something with Max 3.1 that you need to do

Is Max 3.1 free?

Offline andyp

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:45:12 PM »
Not sure as it is not available anymore to my knowledge, unless you get it via means that cannot be discussed due to board policies.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 07:11:07 AM »
Max 3.1 was originally how you could convert models to .nif, now, the people who brought you NIFSkope have made a version for more recent Max versions.
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Offlithium

• BCC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 06:12:43 PM »
Not sure as it is not available anymore to my knowledge, unless you get it via means that cannot be discussed due to board policies.

So modding BC is impossible without breaking the law?

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 06:16:17 PM »
No...not what we are saying.

Go to the Autodesk Website, and register for the student version of Max.  It gives you 4 years I believe.  Then go to the NIFtools website and download their NIFimporter/exporter plugin.
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Offlithium

• BCC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 06:26:57 PM »
No...not what we are saying.

Go to the Autodesk Website, and register for the student version of Max.  It gives you 4 years I believe.  Then go to the NIFtools website and download their NIFimporter/exporter plugin.

Not likely that I'll be around here for more than 4 years, but what if I am? what do I do then?

Offline andyp

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 11:21:28 AM »
you could always re-register on a separate email. Plus most registration systems aren't smart enough to realize the gmail + trick.

Additionally you could always start your modeling, and once you get to a point where you are ready to test in game, make friends with someone who has the tools needed to get the ship in game. When I released my two ships I got help from a few scripting experts that live on the forums. Team work is always encouraged.  :vb_thumbsup-1:

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 11:30:30 AM »
you could always re-register on a separate email. Plus most registration systems aren't smart enough to realize the gmail + trick.

Additionally you could always start your modeling, and once you get to a point where you are ready to test in game, make friends with someone who has the tools needed to get the ship in game. When I released my two ships I got help from a few scripting experts that live on the forums. Team work is always encouraged.  :vb_thumbsup-1:

:yeahthat: