Author Topic: Seeking help with BC installations & issues  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
Re: Seeking help with BC installations & issues
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 10:03:11 PM »
The Beginning was released first, and if I recall correctly DS9FX might have some fixes for it as well (not certain, double check that with Mario).

TL;DR:  The Beginning first, then DS9FX.  When in doubt, go by release date.

I do like, KM. But, the ships, balance and the straight stubbornness I have "I'd Rather Do It Myself" attitude. And that MOD Crashes a lot too.
Hell yeah man!  I run a home-grown, ground up BC install myself.  Nothing against KM, but I prefer my own ships/hardpoints.  I also don't like my BC install too... bloated... I guess is the word.

The crashing, though, isn't just a KM deal.  Modded BC is pretty unstable KM or no KM.  Most of it appears to be NanoFX related.  I made a post several years ago to help with optimizing BC - http://www.bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,7056.0.html  That should help you at least slim down BC and keep crashes to a minimum.

Let me know if you need any more info!

Offline sire01a

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 10:35:19 PM »
The Beginning was released first, and if I recall correctly DS9FX might have some fixes for it as well (not certain, double check that with Mario).

TL;DR:  The Beginning first, then DS9FX.  When in doubt, go by release date.
Hell yeah man!  I run a home-grown, ground up BC install myself.  Nothing against KM, but I prefer my own ships/hardpoints.  I also don't like my BC install too... bloated... I guess is the word.

The crashing, though, isn't just a KM deal.  Modded BC is pretty unstable KM or no KM.  Most of it appears to be NanoFX related.  I made a post several years ago to help with optimizing BC - http://www.bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,7056.0.html  That should help you at least slim down BC and keep crashes to a minimum.

Let me know if you need any more info!

http://www.bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,10315.msg218138.html#msg218138

It's Nanofx 2.0 Surely .... I will miss the blinkers, the darker look in the environment, weapon's flash and target plasma streams. i was going to reinstall with Nanofx 2.0, but I'll wait until after I perfect my HPs, Textures and projectiles. And Replacing all the ships and textures from KM, seams to be an over ambitious mission.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 10:41:13 PM »
Sadly NanoFX is needed for just about everything.  You can, however, disable everything except WarpFX.  I still leave ExplosionFX on because I typically don't run BC long enough for all the memory to leak anyways.  That'll buy you some time.

Another piece of advice:  Avoid 2048x2048 ship textures if you can help it.  I only use them on ships that don't have smaller ones.  1024x1024 still gives good visuals and uses 4x less memory.

Even unmodded BC will crash after a few hours.  BC was kind of rushed out.

Offline sire01a

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 12:30:13 AM »
Uhm, first battle, first ship explosion = "STBC Has Stopped Working, Windows is looking for a solution."
And, I never allow more than 1024 x 1024. And that's the pain in the ass, If I want WC, then I open up PixBuilder Studio and resize. And, a lot of mods, if you think about are a bit cheater. Like the AI doesn't know to boost/redistribute shields, or order you to self-destruct.  :dance
The reason for my original question regarding DS9/BCS was that maybe, try again with that mod .. .. Even though the transporting of the enemy to my ship had ALWAYs pissed me off.   :evil:

Offline Morgan

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 06:02:17 PM »
Uhm, first battle, first ship explosion = "STBC Has Stopped Working, Windows is looking for a solution."
Yeah that's the most annoying thing in the world.  And there's never a console dump to go with it to tell you what's wrong.

What can you tell me about what was going on when it happened?  First battle, first ship explosion.  Do you remember which ships?  Which map?  Which bridge?  Anything you can remember, no matter how seemingly insignificant, could help (most of the time when this crash isn't related to standard BC memory leaks it's either a scripting error somewhere or a missing texture for something I've noticed).

Offline sire01a

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 08:03:14 PM »
It's random. But, usually to start with. I'll get into my Venture Refit. The fight either a copy of it or a Warbird, Vorta something. It doesn't ever seem to matter what ship, I mean really it happened on a Plasma Stream once. And the last thing to report on log is a sentence about splash radius. Or wait, found an old log.
Setting splash damage for Plasma Stream0 to (91.875000, 1.837500)
AttributeError: Redirect

Offline Morgan

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 08:46:32 PM »
What you're describing in the console dump is normal.  I'd disable SpecialFX in NanoFX and try it again.

There are also some files from KM that can help with stability.  The crash fixer is one (located in the Custom/Autoload folder), along with the FixMem.py file in the QBAutostart folder.  Not cure-alls, but definitely helpful.

Did you also do the 4GB patch?

Offline sire01a

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 07:29:40 AM »
4gb_patch.exe
ReSet.py
000-Fixes20030221.py

But, I'll try it when I finish moving my room around ... Thanks!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 11:53:57 PM »
4gb_patch.exe
ReSet.py
000-Fixes20030221.py

But, I'll try it when I finish moving my room around ... Thanks!
0000-CrashFixer.py - This one as well.

Let me know how everything turns out!