Author Topic: Seeking help with BC installations & issues  (Read 2411 times)

Offline CassandraSaturn

• Original Creator of STOI, BCU
  • Cookies: 3
  • Captain of U.S.S. Kamidake
    • Bridge Commander Universe
Seeking help with BC installations & issues
« on: October 30, 2017, 05:50:10 AM »
hello. i'm seeking for assistance with BC because i installed BC months ago, i did everything right. but i can't even seem to get it running on my win7 computer. maybe i missed a step? i installed BC from a website that had all those classic old computer games that i used to play on old Windows 98 computer including Wolfstein as well.

i downloaded BC from this site: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/star-trek-bridge-commander-a3c

i had issues with because of bwink32 and other issues also related to 32s things.

can you please help me with that?

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 09:18:51 AM »
As a rule of thumb it is recommended to not install the game in the default directory of "program files" on anything newer than XP. It needs to be installed in a folder like C:\\games for best stability because of how Windows treats programs in that folder.

Unfortunately that is all I can help with as we cannot support cracked games. We cannot guarantee their stability or comparability with systems or any future mod installs.

That's the end of comments here.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 04:59:59 PM »
Unfortunately that is all I can help with as we cannot support cracked games. We cannot guarantee their stability or comparability with systems or any future mod installs.
i think that strict rule can be relaxed a bit...
it is one thing if someone asks where to download it online, but if they already have it, we can try to help...  there is a good chance the game will have problems with stability and other problems, that should be urged of course...

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 06:57:41 PM »
It's sort of a grey area, but I tend to agree with Jimmy on this. After all, game is 15 years old. Not like the Activision-Cops will be sniffing around for people running a cracked copy these days. And a cracked copy of BC, is virtually indistinguishable from uncracked (other than not requiring a disc, I don't think there are any differences at all).
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline CassandraSaturn

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 05:44:24 AM »
It's sort of a grey area, but I tend to agree with Jimmy on this. After all, game is 15 years old. Not like the Activision-Cops will be sniffing around for people running a cracked copy these days. And a cracked copy of BC, is virtually indistinguishable from uncracked (other than not requiring a disc, I don't think there are any differences at all).

yeah, they don't come after anybody. i had this game from that site for almost two years now and i still can't figure out why it doesn't show me anything but black screen of death. i fixed bwink32 issue last night yesterday.

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 12:12:36 PM »
And this leads to another thing... With Activision having lost the publishing rights to Trek games, and Totally Games being possibly defunct (the Wikipedia page for the company says they went under in 2015 but there's no source; other online sources are vague on whether or not they're still around)... At what point is the game abandonware and we have more leeway with it?  And would they even care?  Activision has much bigger money makers and has had them for years (World of Warcraft is the big elephant in the room).  The game is 15 years old, going on 16 - if it was a person it'd be old enough to drive.

Just my thoughts but I know this is kind of a frowned upon topic so that's all I'll say on it unless anyone wants to add.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 02:40:33 PM »
totally agree, Morgan...
how people got BC should no longer matter if they post they downloaded it...
asking where to download BC tho - we cannot help and guide to that; asking for a copy of BC or where to download it still is a violation of forum rules...

i still can't figure out why it doesn't show me anything but black screen of death.
please be advised that a downloaded copy of BC has a significantly higher chance of crashes, errors with mods and just problematic overall...  most issues of a downloaded copy just cant be addressed and fixed...
if you do get a BSOD, tho, please feel free to post a screenshot of the console report (or the console log itself if possible) and we can try to address it...

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 04:07:03 PM »
As I said elsewhere, my first BC experience way back when, was via a pirated copy (an ISO of the original disc + no-disc crack). It was virtually indistinguishable from the real deal (other than not requiring a disc), and my copy had no pre-installed mobs. It was just the original.

Depending on the copy, and what included mobs, support may be... difficult.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline CassandraSaturn

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 10:56:55 PM »
As I said elsewhere, my first BC experience way back when, was via a pirated copy (an ISO of the original disc + no-disc crack). It was virtually indistinguishable from the real deal (other than not requiring a disc), and my copy had no pre-installed mobs. It was just the original.

Depending on the copy, and what included mobs, support may be... difficult.

here is no mobs, no mods, and it's full game copy.

Offline CassandraSaturn

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 10:58:37 PM »
totally agree, Morgan...
how people got BC should no longer matter if they post they downloaded it...
asking where to download BC tho - we cannot help and guide to that; asking for a copy of BC or where to download it still is a violation of forum rules...
please be advised that a downloaded copy of BC has a significantly higher chance of crashes, errors with mods and just problematic overall...  most issues of a downloaded copy just cant be addressed and fixed...
if you do get a BSOD, tho, please feel free to post a screenshot of the console report (or the console log itself if possible) and we can try to address it...

okay where do i find console report?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 11:29:22 PM »
okay where do i find console report?
Easiest method is with this little script by USS Frontier - Console Tracker:  https://www.nexusmods.com/startrekbridgecommmander/mods/427/?

Just drop that .py file in your "scripts/Custom/Autoload" folder, load up the game, and then exit and you'll have a console report text file in your "scripts/Custom" folder.

It logs everything automatically so you don't even have to think about it.

Offline CassandraSaturn

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 11:57:07 PM »
Easiest method is with this little script by USS Frontier - Console Tracker:  https://www.nexusmods.com/startrekbridgecommmander/mods/427/?

Just drop that .py file in your "scripts/Custom/Autoload" folder, load up the game, and then exit and you'll have a console report text file in your "scripts/Custom" folder.

It logs everything automatically so you don't even have to think about it.

ahh thanks. i will try that.

Offline CassandraSaturn

Re: Seeking help with BC installations & issues
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 05:45:06 AM »
i installed the console tracker, but it didn't give me console report. it didn't show up in my bc files maybe i installed it wrong?

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 06:57:42 AM »
USS Frontier's Console Logger requires foundation, If you don't have that yet, it (and almost every mod) wont work.

The simple variant of console report is to open the console, (using the '~' tilde key on english keyboards directly below escape) pressing enter and posting a screenshot of the result.

Offline CassandraSaturn

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 07:40:04 AM »
well, i give up. i'm gonna have to get official full game on CD somehow.  i tried everything. even your suggestion. i think i have borked it.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 10:33:38 AM »
have you successfully patched the game to BC 1.1?
i think that is required also to be able to pull down the console report...

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 12:22:01 PM »
Screenshot you posted on discord shows that you are missing sfx and scripts directories.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »
the old fashioned way to pull a report was to hit the tab key, then hit enter when the console popped up, and take a screenshot of the resulting report

Offline Morgan

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 04:12:06 PM »
well, i give up. i'm gonna have to get official full game on CD somehow.  i tried everything. even your suggestion. i think i have borked it.
I know BC can get irritating at times.  To overcome a lot of the inherent engine problems BC's modding framework is essentially a collection of bandaids that need to be applied the right way in order to fully work.

When installing BC, you should always, no matter what:

* Install BC into the C:\Users\Public\Games directory if you're running anything newer than Windows XP.

* Install the 1.1 patch immediately after installing BC.  Without it, mods will not work correctly.

The next steps from here depend on whether you're building an install from scratch or installing KM.  If you're going with KM (which most people do), the next step is to simply install KM.  That's it.  If you're building your own install, you have to install things in a certain order:

* Foundation (Included with BCUT which is a necessary modding tool)

* NanoFX 2

* MVAM

* Bridge Plugin

* QB Autostart

* BCS:TNG:  The Beginning

* Galaxy Charts

* DS9FX

Once those frameworks are in place, you can install ships and scripts in any order you choose.

Offline sire01a

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 07:53:02 PM »
I know BC can get irritating at times.  To overcome a lot of the inherent engine problems BC's modding framework is essentially a collection of bandaids that need to be applied the right way in order to fully work.

When installing BC, you should always, no matter what:

* Install BC into the C:\Users\Public\Games directory if you're running anything newer than Windows XP.

* Install the 1.1 patch immediately after installing BC.  Without it, mods will not work correctly.

The next steps from here depend on whether you're building an install from scratch or installing KM.  If you're going with KM (which most people do), the next step is to simply install KM.  That's it.  If you're building your own install, you have to install things in a certain order:

* Foundation (Included with BCUT which is a necessary modding tool)

* NanoFX 2

* MVAM

* Bridge Plugin

* QB Autostart

* Galaxy Charts

* DS9FX

Once those frameworks are in place, you can install ships and scripts in any order you choose.

Morgan,
Which should be first, DS9FX or The BEGINNING? Like I know they both need QBR/Autostart to run, much like addship0.4 and so on. But, would DS9FX and BEGINNING screw with each other if installed in the wrong order?
Because I do like, KM. But, the ships, balance and the straight stubbornness I have "I'd Rather Do It Myself" attitude. And that MOD Crashes a lot too.