Author Topic: Field of View Modification  (Read 681 times)

Offline vonfrank

• Cookies: 182
Field of View Modification
« on: November 11, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »
Is there any way to change Bridge Commander's default Field of View? BC seems to have a very narrow FOV compared to other space sim games out there, and I feel it would be really nice to bump it up a bit so that the sense of perspective can be enhanced.

I've tried looking through most of the script files in the game but have yet to come across anything helpful. It might be hard-coded into the .exe but I'm hoping that it isn't.

Anyone have any input on this?

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Re: Field of View Modification
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 06:16:41 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if it is hardcoded in. this was made before widescreen became commonplace.  however, it may also be a function of the "camera ship" setup.  if Rifleman80 was still around, he'd have some insight into this, as he made special camera ships for his video work with BC.

I'm betting the viewing angle could be adjusted by the right script person.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 07:30:33 PM »
I believe as far as bridges are concerned, normal 4:9 is hardcoded.  however there is a script called additional screen resolutions which i think is included with KM that allows wide screen resolutions for quickbattle
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline vonfrank

• Cookies: 182
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 08:33:19 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if it is hardcoded in. this was made before widescreen became commonplace.  however, it may also be a function of the "camera ship" setup.  if Rifleman80 was still around, he'd have some insight into this, as he made special camera ships for his video work with BC.

I'm betting the viewing angle could be adjusted by the right script person.
I believe as far as bridges are concerned, normal 4:9 is hardcoded.  however there is a script called additional screen resolutions which i think is included with KM that allows wide screen resolutions for quickbattle

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about widescreen resolutions (I already have that working perfectly), I'm talking about the Field of View of the camera. In other words, the total angle range of the 'lens' for the viewer.

For example, Star Trek Legacy, for all its flaws, had a great camera FOV capable of displaying a wider range than the 'flat' and narrow FOV of BC. The human eye has a FOV of approximately 180 degrees. Most shooters tend to use approximately 70 degrees where as Minecraft has a variable FOV adjuster. There are countless other examples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view_in_video_games

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »
I know what you mean. Unfortunately, I've never been able to alter BC's FOV. The only way I've found of getting wider FOVs is by walking up close to especially wide viewscreens on TMP-era ships.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!