Author Topic: BC lagging with a high-gamer config...=='  (Read 1112 times)

Offline stargate03

• Cookies: 0
BC lagging with a high-gamer config...=='
« on: January 03, 2018, 07:11:18 AM »
Hi Trekkers !

Since a multiple months, my BC don't run at 60 fps (if it can ?).
I have 3 versions of the game :
 - Kobayashi Maru version
 - An original version with a few mods
 - And a 50th Anniversary version

All of these versions run at...10~20 FPS... It's UNPLAYABLE !!!

I tried to reduce my graphic settings but no changes...

I don't understand...I can run Battlefield 1 in ultra settings but BC run like I play on a 1990's machine...

Help !^^

My system (just in case) :
 - Intel Core i7 6700
 - 8 GB RAM
 - GTX 1060 3GB

Offline ash

• Cookies: 5
Re: BC lagging with a high-gamer config...=='
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:59:07 AM »
Have you already tried use windowed instead of full screen or  alt-tab and re-enter game?

Offline stargate03

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »
I tried it and it doesn't work... :/

Offline ash

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 04:54:12 PM »
What O.S. are you using?

Offline stargate03

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 04:44:10 AM »
Windows 10 64 bits

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 05:41:33 PM »
one, welcome to the forums.  two, I don't consider myself a trekker, as i have NOT been to a convention.  i call myself a trekkie.  some of us older fans will say that.

now for the game
BC seems to have a dislike for Windows 10.  multiple modern players have reported trouble with 10
the game's engine has a serious memory leak...4 GIG worth of ram serious.
this software was written long before the idea of multicore processors.  it only recognizes the top section of the processor.
the status of the software itself is completely unknown.   no-one knows who holds the intellectual property rights to the software, so fixing it is a no-no.  This includes if you've seen the game on sale somewhere as abandonware!
reduce your texture sizes.  this game was developed around the time the PS2 and Xbox came out 17 years ago, and hiccups for some graphics cards when over 1024's
some mods clash with each other.  check over threads and the various "black screen of death" solution pages, as you may have to shut mods OFF
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline stargate03

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 04:38:45 AM »
one, welcome to the forums.  two, I don't consider myself a trekker, as i have NOT been to a convention.  i call myself a trekkie.  some of us older fans will say that.

Arf...In France, we don't like to be called "Trekkies", we prefer "Trekkers", it's the reason I said that, sorry !^^

as you may have to shut mods OFF

But the game is "ugly" without mods...It's the reason for living of the game...

And it's very strange beacause I've this WIN10 since 2 years and the game show instability only since 3/4 months...

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 10:46:54 AM »
ah, Vive la France! you guys are rare birds in fandoms.  i only know of two french members in another fandom I'm in.  hope I can get over there someday, honor a few fallen, and find someone to BS to about airplanes :P

arf, hmm..un fourrie?

instability is caused by mod clashing, but may also be caused by whatever updates windows have done.  after all, this game was developed back during the Windows 9X days.

I am currently the final surviving member of a mod team.  I hope you have a couple of ours.  once I can get my archives back, I can start redoing a few older ones that might be fun to play with.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline ash

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 12:18:16 PM »
SO we are "cousin" ahahha. It could be tons of stuff. I also work on windows 10 64 bit but i don't have such problem. As King said it could be a windows update,a driver issue. or maybe a backgroud application

I would try to clean and reinstall new drivers for Videocard and check what do you have running on low level.

Offline Rob Archer

• Cookies: 545
  • New Frontier MKVI
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 04:35:10 PM »
You could try a clean install from the original CD including Direct X i had a similar problem, a clean install from the source disc seemed to mitigate some of the problems.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 07:54:45 AM »
ash is right.  I had a huge performance increase after updating the driver set for the graphics card for my previous computer.  ever since I was introduced to the idea courtesy of someone ON HERE.  managed to get a bone stock graphics card to handle a 54K poly ship (baz's JJ refitprize).  you might wanna try a graphics card driver update, as I've had to update every ONE (even in my mother's laptop!) in order to get the stuff to behave.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 12:44:46 PM »
BC is very hit or miss with Windows 10.  There are a couple of suggestions:

- The 4GB patch is a huge help for BC to utilize more memory.

- Make sure the game is NOT installed in the Program Files directory; put it somewhere like C:/Users/Public/Games

- Running in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 may help in some cases

It's an old game and isn't optimized for modern hardware and operating systems.  Activision no longer owns the rights to Trek gaming, and Totally Games' status is unknown (some sources say defunct, others say they've moved onto mobile gaming), so we don't even know if it's abandonware at this point, which means fixing the inherent engine problems is still, sadly, off the table.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 05:01:59 PM »
Not completely off the table.  But you would think after such time that it is abandonware
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 07:13:49 AM »
Not necessarily, Eclipse.  after all, trek ITSELF proved there's no such thing as "abandonware" when it comes to intellectual property rights.  that's what the Axanar idiot was to claim.  I'd bet there's an official rule on the books somewhere that states exactly how many decades something must be truly abandoned.  who knows, the engine itself may fall under the same rule as old copyrighted material, IE it's not public domain until fifty years AFTER the last creator has died.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 12:10:23 PM »
perhaps the abandonware convo can happen in a diff thread so this one can try and remain ontopic?

:)

Offline stargate03

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 11:22:53 AM »
Good news for me !
The game run correctly since 2 days !
I don't know how because I don't  touch anything and with just multiple tries everyday and it works at 60 FPS with 80 ships !^^

Thanks everyone for the help but I think it was caused by a Windows update.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 01:04:36 PM »
Glad it's working for you!  I'm gonna go ahead and close this down since your issue is resolved.  If you have any further trouble feel free to make a new thread.  :yay: