Author Topic: Double-whammy issue  (Read 769 times)

Offline ThatGuyBrian

• The Youngin'
  • Cookies: 6
Double-whammy issue
« on: January 27, 2018, 09:21:24 PM »
So...I'm fairly new to the process of BC modding. I've covered the basics (Exporting the model as a .nif, setting up hardpoints, making a plugin, etc) and I've come fairly close to finishing my first ship mod, however, I've ran into two issues when it comes to loading the custom ship into Bridge Commander. The main hull textures don't load in, and the framerate tanks hard.
I've checked the poly count for the model that I'm using, (3793) and I've messed about with all of my config settings in Milkshape, and I just can't seem to take care of these issues.
Spoiler: show

Milkshape 3D

Bridge Commander Model Property Editor

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Re: Double-whammy issue
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 07:41:08 AM »
okay, first, welcome.  second, there's a couple things that needed to be addressed.

for the BC engine textures must be a fixed exponential factor in size...32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048 or they won't load.

it's not the POLY count you have to worry about, but the texture size.  I've run ships as high poly as 54K and they've run well.  since they're not moving parts models, they don't swipe memory.  textures, however, make the engine choke if there's a lot of high res ones.

Nifskope is a good way to check the test fit and alignment of your textures.

oh, and if your wondering...I think I'm the only modeler and texturer LEFT on here that's a little bit active.  everyone else has either moved on, or is rather busy atm raising kids.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline ThatGuyBrian

• The Youngin'
  • Cookies: 6
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:16:01 AM »
for the BC engine textures must be a fixed exponential factor in size...32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048 or they won't load.

Thank you. I should've scaled my textures to 1024x1024 instead of 1000x1000.

Nifskope is a good way to check the test fit and alignment of your textures.

Which version do I use? 2.0 doesn't render any BC .nifs I load in, 1.2.0 crashes, and most (if not all) the tutorials for
1.1.3 are for Bethesda games.

I think I'm the only modeler and texturer LEFT on here that's a little bit active.

Good to know, someone has to carry on the torch.

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 10:50:42 AM »
I'm still somewhat around too, im just stuck with a crappy sleeping pattern and work xD

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 12:52:28 PM »
Thank you. I should've scaled my textures to 1024x1024 instead of 1000x1000.

Which version do I use? 2.0 doesn't render any BC .nifs I load in, 1.2.0 crashes, and most (if not all) the tutorials for
1.1.3 are for Bethesda games.

Good to know, someone has to carry on the torch.

On Textures:*chuckle* shoulda looked at the stocker stuff.  it's possible that another contributor to this "exactness" requirement is the programming language itself...Python. 

On Nifskope:you must use no more than version 1.0.9; support for bridge commander was removed.  the game was made in the windows 9X era, after all.  as for tutorials, most of these were created for game engines that emphasize characters and their clothing, not props or sets.  and ships have very few moving parts if they're extra fancy
Note on Sets and Characters: we do NOT really mess with the character models themselves.  only Blackrook32 has had significant character modeling experience.
Sets themselves are another story altogether.  there were three main bridge set builders, and they've walked off into real life as well.  note that sets and characters would have had to be made in an ancient form of 3DSMAX , v. 3.2, in order to work with the BC engine.  note, though, that doesn't mean you can't muck about with the TEXTURES for sets and characters.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 05:35:50 PM »
oh, and if your wondering...I think I'm the only modeler and texturer LEFT on here that's a little bit active.  everyone else has either moved on, or is rather busy atm raising kids.
oh well then aren't you just special?    :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I'm still somewhat around too
ugh yes that much is painfully obvious, no need to remind us thank you...
haha :P   :wink:

*runs*

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 08:11:17 PM »
dammit jimmy, my TR-116 has a projectile with your name engrave on it!