Author Topic: Stock weapons and Supermod 3  (Read 825 times)

Offline Beanstalk

• Cookies: 0
Stock weapons and Supermod 3
« on: July 26, 2018, 09:24:31 AM »
Apologies if this has been covered before, didn't notice anything on a quick search.

Anyway, I was hoping to enjoy a single player playthrough with shiny new visuals, but found that the changes to weapons in particular mess with the gameplay too much for my taste.

Using the stock systems mutatator doesn't seem to do anything. I tried preserving the all original files from the ships\scripts folder, but that didn't work either.

Am I out of luck? Are there any alternative mods that are purely aesthetic that work with the SP campaign?

Offline Blackrook32

• BC Files Admin
  • Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1077
    • Blackrook32's YouTube Channel
Re: Stock weapons and Supermod 3
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 04:12:26 PM »
Apologies if this has been covered before, didn't notice anything on a quick search.

Anyway, I was hoping to enjoy a single player playthrough with shiny new visuals, but found that the changes to weapons in particular mess with the gameplay too much for my taste.

Using the stock systems mutatator doesn't seem to do anything. I tried preserving the all original files from the ships\scripts folder, but that didn't work either.

Am I out of luck? Are there any alternative mods that are purely aesthetic that work with the SP campaign?

If I understand your question correctly, you want to update your weapons?
IMO, these are the most refined of the weapons mods, that will balance out your install...

•  DKealt Torpedo Pack v.2
https://www.nexusmods.com/startrekbridgecommmander/mods/2023

•  Elminster's Common Weapons Pack v.3
https://www.gamefront.com/games/bridge-commander/file/elminster-s-common-weapons-pack-1

•  Starforce Productions TMP Common Weapons Files v.1
https://www.gamefront.com/games/bridge-commander/file/starforceproductions-tmp-common-weapons-files

These are the most specific in era and quality. I would also suggest you check out modders like Laurelin for romulan weapons. Elminster for cardassian weapons. Starforce for klingon & romulan weapons with DKealt, C2X, Mark and JLS studios; for TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT weapons.

" Fortune Favors the Bold "

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 01:24:05 AM »

Welcome to BCC!

To answer your question:  SuperMod is the main single player mod, and the hardpoint work is unfortunately a common criticism - the balance definitely seems wonky.  I modified a copy of BC for single player use some time ago for exactly this reason but I haven't considered release (and out of respect for the original ship authors, I'd need to contact them for permission to do so anyways).  If you're interested in trying it out I can make the necessary requests to do so.

There are strictly visual updates - however, these apply new textures to the stock ship models (changing the ships while preserving the original hardpoint balance would still require modification of the hardpoints so phasers fire from the correct hull locations for example).  The stock models are very old and dated, but I've attached a link below to DarkGunman's BC Improvement Pack (probably the best "visual only" update) if you want to look that over anyways.

I'm afraid the only other option would be modifying the hardpoints yourself to your own liking - we're happy to answer any questions you have in that area if you choose to pursue that option.  You'll likely get responses in this area faster than the others as most of us know how hardpoints work very well (most of the community prefers their own hardpoint scales and setups).

Hope this helpful!

DarkGunman's BC Improvement Pack:  https://www.nexusmods.com/startrekbridgecommmander/mods/3466

Offline Beanstalk

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 06:42:39 AM »
Welcome to BCC!

To answer your question:  SuperMod is the main single player mod, and the hardpoint work is unfortunately a common criticism - the balance definitely seems wonky.  I modified a copy of BC for single player use some time ago for exactly this reason but I haven't considered release (and out of respect for the original ship authors, I'd need to contact them for permission to do so anyways).  If you're interested in trying it out I can make the necessary requests to do so.

There are strictly visual updates - however, these apply new textures to the stock ship models (changing the ships while preserving the original hardpoint balance would still require modification of the hardpoints so phasers fire from the correct hull locations for example).  The stock models are very old and dated, but I've attached a link below to DarkGunman's BC Improvement Pack (probably the best "visual only" update) if you want to look that over anyways.

I'm afraid the only other option would be modifying the hardpoints yourself to your own liking - we're happy to answer any questions you have in that area if you choose to pursue that option.  You'll likely get responses in this area faster than the others as most of us know how hardpoints work very well (most of the community prefers their own hardpoint scales and setups).

Hope this helpful!

DarkGunman's BC Improvement Pack:  https://www.nexusmods.com/startrekbridgecommmander/mods/3466

Thank you this very detailed reply, this is exactly what I wanted to know.

A question about the DIY option: Is this something someone with no modding experience and only rudimentary familiarity with Python can realistically accomplish? How big a project would this be?

And I'd certainly be interested in trying out the mod you made yourself (as would be others I imagine, if this is a common criticism); I wouldn't want you to unduly inconvenience yourself on my account, though.

Anyway, thanks again for your help! :)

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 06:08:23 PM »
A question about the DIY option: Is this something someone with no modding experience and only rudimentary familiarity with Python can realistically accomplish? How big a project would this be?
It is.  Hardpoints are for the most part pretty straight-forward.  Things like getting the hitpoints and shield strength where you want them, phaser output, and torpedo loadouts one can probably figure out just by looking through the hardpoint, since those things stand out.  I'd say the trickiest part is learning how to balance them all to each other, and getting the warp core and subsystem power outputs to your liking; also, pulse-weapon and tractor systems can be a bit screwy compared to the other subsystems.  Either way, I can create a little tutorial thread separately here soon.

And I'd certainly be interested in trying out the mod you made yourself (as would be others I imagine, if this is a common criticism); I wouldn't want you to unduly inconvenience yourself on my account, though.
No trouble at all, just a matter of shooting some emails off  :)  It's a pretty basic update, not anywhere near the scale of either SuperMod or the SP Maelstrom mod that Lurok was creating some time ago, but I've found that for single player, minimal is better and much more stable.

Offline Beanstalk

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 08:23:47 AM »
It is.  Hardpoints are for the most part pretty straight-forward.  Things like getting the hitpoints and shield strength where you want them, phaser output, and torpedo loadouts one can probably figure out just by looking through the hardpoint, since those things stand out.  I'd say the trickiest part is learning how to balance them all to each other, and getting the warp core and subsystem power outputs to your liking; also, pulse-weapon and tractor systems can be a bit screwy compared to the other subsystems.  Either way, I can create a little tutorial thread separately here soon.

No trouble at all, just a matter of shooting some emails off  :)  It's a pretty basic update, not anywhere near the scale of either SuperMod or the SP Maelstrom mod that Lurok was creating some time ago, but I've found that for single player, minimal is better and much more stable.

Well, a modding tutorial is something I'm sure a lot of people would find helpful beyond this particular application.

I'm just looking to replay one of the best Trek games out there myself, and consider anything that makes it look a little less dated a bonus - so think I'd prefer the low-effort option of using your mod.  :P