Author Topic: Possible use of BC modders work without credit or permission  (Read 820 times)

Offline angryandorian

• Cookies: 5
  • Prepare for the future...
Possible use of BC modders work without credit or permission
« on: August 07, 2018, 02:20:10 PM »
There is a user, trekkie148, on the Sketchfab site who is uploading starship designs from the BC modding community. He or she seems to have a hard time giving proper credit. Some models are credited to the original designers, but some are just labeled as coming from Bridge Commander, implying they are in the game by default. Cleeve had to let trekkie148 know the SoulWolf (Enterprise-F) was his model, and I gave a heads up to WickedZombieDRS that the user had uploaded his Tiburon class model. Trekkie148 has ported some of DJ's ships like the Enterprise-F and the Valiant. While he gives DJ credit for the Enterprise-F, I seem to recall DJ had a policy of not letting others port his ships to other engines and games without his consent. I also see some stuff from Rick Knox, Wiley Coyote (I think the Enterprise J is his), and other modders. Thought you guys should be made aware.

https://sketchfab.com/Trekkie148/models

Offline Blackrook32

• BC Files Admin
  • Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1077
    • Blackrook32's YouTube Channel
Re: Possible use of BC modders work without credit or permission
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »
There is a user, trekkie148, on the Sketchfab site who is uploading starship designs from the BC modding community. He or she seems to have a hard time giving proper credit. Some models are credited to the original designers, but some are just labeled as coming from Bridge Commander, implying they are in the game by default. Cleeve had to let trekkie148 know the SoulWolf (Enterprise-F) was his model, and I gave a heads up to WickedZombieDRS that the user had uploaded his Tiburon class model. Trekkie148 has ported some of DJ's ships like the Enterprise-F and the Valiant. While he gives DJ credit for the Enterprise-F, I seem to recall DJ had a policy of not letting others port his ships to other engines and games without his consent. I also see some stuff from Rick Knox, Wiley Coyote (I think the Enterprise J is his), and other modders. Thought you guys should be made aware.

https://sketchfab.com/Trekkie148/models

Thanks for the heads up

I know this was stickied for a reason...

* Master Permissions Thread:
http://www.bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,2146.0.html

Looking over that site's inventory, looks like GMunoz made the cut as well.

As far as I know, you can use Rick Knox/Knox1711/P81/Penumonic81's work; as long as credit is given. The other modders you mention have a "Ask First" policy or a "Approval before release" policy. I know for a fact Wicked Zombie is very restrictive, in allowing conversions, ports and kitbashes.

Most people making mods are careless and lazy about giving credit. Either by guessing the original Author or not giving a fig, because they are no longer in the modding scene.

Still, NO excuse for not giving credit where it is due. :lostit: :rolleyes :vb_shakehead:

" Fortune Favors the Bold "

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 11:42:40 PM »
I fired an email off to the support guys at SketchFab, so hopefully they can rectify this.

Looking at the master permissions thread, it appears DJ allows ports as long as credit is given.  However, no credit was given on the Valiant.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »
i can confirm DJ doesnt mind if his work is used elsewhere, so long as he gets the proper credit...

Wiley asks to be contacted first...

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 01:21:03 AM »
I got a response from SketchFab.  They appear to take mesh theft as seriously as we do and have a process in place.  They directed me to the following link to submit a request to take action.  I can spot DJ and Rick's work a mile away, but sadly can't say the same for some of the others mentioned.  Jimmy or Blackrook, would one of you guys mind filling this out?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfK8PodZ67kAKwjRBdvjZEMf7EEHfHUu7-nPqbURwk2LvPf-w/viewform

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 01:49:53 PM »
Jimmy or Blackrook, would one of you guys mind filling this out?
youve been in contact with them, would you mind filling that out?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 11:02:26 PM »
youve been in contact with them, would you mind filling that out?
I can sure, but I only asked because I don't know which ones are the ones Blackrook pointed out, and the only contact I had was a "please fill out this form" response.

Do you know which ones belong to GMunoz, WickedZombie, and any others?  I only recognized DJ's and Rick's off hand.  I don't wanna miss anyone.