Author Topic: No Cd Key  (Read 866 times)

Offline seanftd

• Cookies: 0
No Cd Key
« on: May 06, 2019, 08:49:11 AM »
Hi how are you all. Im new to this site, i sued to play constantly and to this day still feel this is the best of the Trek games made. However i play on a Gaming notebook with no cd drive so had to buy and external CD drive for it. But i was hoping someone might have a cop of the no cd key to i dont have to plug in the CD drive just to play.

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
Re: No Cd Key
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 09:45:07 AM »
Bridge Commander never used a CD key, so you should be ok.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 05:27:00 AM »
um, he might have if he got an early pressing.  I have a copy of VtM: Redemption from Activision from the previous year (the Hero is voiced by the same guy that does BC's helm/tactical) that has a big old CD key slapped on the back of the case.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 09:55:44 AM »
Some Activision games back then did use them, but I’ve never seen a single copy of BC use one. Ever. In fact, in 16 years this is the first time I’ve ever seen a post mentioning a CD key issue.

Offline newhalo123

• Gamer, Trekkie, Metalhead.
  • Cookies: 211
  • Gamer, Trekkie, Metalhead.
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 05:14:57 AM »
I think everyone who replied took "No Cd Key" too literally. In this case they basically mean a crack, so they do not have to use the cd at all. Nocd is a term used for both bypassing cd keys, and more frequently, the cd entirely.

BC requires the use of either a cd, or the cd image on a virtual cd drive, and they wish to bypass this.
"Live long, and prosper." -Leonard Nimoy 'Spock' (1931-2015)

"Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking nerf herder! " -Carrie Fisher 'Leia' (1956-2016)

Offline Mark McWire

• Cookies: 1010
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 12:36:20 PM »
I was forced to use a nocd-Version of stbc.exe, because I running STBC unter wine in Linux. In wine, the CD detection does not work. Even I have the original CD in drive, stbc.exe insists that the CD is missing.

BTW: And no, I will not buy Windows for STBC: R. If I participate in the development, it must also run under wine.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 12:56:39 PM »
I was forced to use a nocd-Version of stbc.exe, because I running STBC unter wine in Linux. In wine, the CD detection does not work. Even I have the original CD in drive, stbc.exe insists that the CD is missing.

BTW: And no, I will not buy Windows for STBC: R. If I participate in the development, it must also run under wine.

Sigh... you're one of those hardcore linux lovers? I've dealt with your kind before. I enjoyed making them use Windows at work.

Anyway back on topic. Unity runs on Linux as far as I know. Kerbal Space Program is built on top of unity and many modders also make mods for the game using linux. The power of mono.

Although to be honest in your case the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and majority of devs on the project willl run Windows so this is where the priorities will be.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 02:42:32 AM »
I think everyone who replied took "No Cd Key" too literally. In this case they basically mean a crack, so they do not have to use the cd at all. Nocd is a term used for both bypassing cd keys, and more frequently, the cd entirely.

BC requires the use of either a cd, or the cd image on a virtual cd drive, and they wish to bypass this.
Oh hell, I can't believe I missed this.

My advice is to just use Daemon Tools to create an image of BC and keep it mounted.  No CD cracks have always been iffy with BC.

Offline Mark McWire

• Cookies: 1010
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 04:14:48 AM »
Oh hell, I can't believe I missed this.

My advice is to just use Daemon Tools to create an image of BC and keep it mounted.  No CD cracks have always been iffy with BC.

I there a Linux alternative for Daemon Tools? DT doesn't work in wine, because of driver problem.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 07:49:22 AM »

PMing you
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric