Author Topic: weird phaser sound issue  (Read 711 times)

Offline id10tsyndrome

• Cookies: 0
weird phaser sound issue
« on: January 27, 2020, 05:00:41 PM »
Okay, I created a Type10Phaser.py  sound file in scripts/custom/autoload with the following entries:

Foundation.SoundDef("sfx/Weapons/GalaxyDS9_phaser1.wav", "Type10Phaser Start", 1)
Foundation.SoundDef("sfx/Weapons/GalaxyDS9_phaser2.wav", "Type10Phaser Loop", 1)

Now I checked and rechecked, phaser 1 is the start, and phaser 2 is the loop when you play them in media player.  Under fire sound in the ships HP file for each phaser, I have Type10Phaser (exactly as it is in the file).  Now when I play the ship, and fire a phaser, the sounds are coming in reverse.  But I've verified that the Phaser 1 is the start and phaser 2 is the loop.

I'm trying to the authentic fire sound for the Galaxy Class phaser with the sound of the phaser coming together then firing like in TNG. 

And yes, I know that the DS9FX soundpack has the GalaxyDS9 Phaser 1/2 as well. And I've even tried using the "Galaxy2 Phaser" (below) as the fire sound in the ships HP and it still is backwards.

Foundation.SoundDef("sfx/Weapons/GalaxyDS9_phaser1.wav", "Galaxy2 Phaser Start", 1)
Foundation.SoundDef("sfx/Weapons/GalaxyDS9_phaser2.wav", "Galaxy2 Phaser Loop", 1)

I'm like so confused and very frustrated.  Any suggestions?????

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
Re: weird phaser sound issue
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 10:08:48 PM »
Seems like a new issue to me, never heard of a case such as this.

Does this happen for all phaser sounds (not just that you created)?
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 12:49:48 PM »
i have to be honest, i have never heard of this issue either of sfx playing reverse ingame...

Offline id10tsyndrome

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 08:22:27 AM »
The more and more I listen to the phasers when they fire, it's almost like they're playing together.  It's like the start and loop sounds play at the same time rather than one after the other.

Is there a way to put a delay between the start and loop sound?  Or is there a min/max length for the sound in a wav file for a weapon?  Like a wav file that's say 3 seconds long for the start, is that too long?

Offline id10tsyndrome

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 10:46:50 AM »
Here are the files all zipped together... the two wav files and the py file for the sounds in scripts/custom/autoload.

Figured I'd upload them so you can see the file sizes, lengths, etc...

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 12:52:59 PM »
It's like the start and loop sounds play at the same time rather than one after the other.
i think that's exactly what happens actually, both sfx do play at the same time...

just to check something, try putting a # before the line

Foundation.SoundDef("sfx/Weapons/GalaxyDS9_phaser2.wav", "Galaxy2 Phaser Loop", 1)

in the Autoload script and see what happens, you should only hear one phaser sfx then (the Start one)

Is there a way to put a delay between the start and loop sound?  Or is there a min/max length for the sound in a wav file for a weapon?  Like a wav file that's say 3 seconds long for the start, is that too long?
the only thing i would think of is if you manually edit the actual wav file itself using a program like Audacity, o the wav file itself has 3 seconds of silence before the sfx begins...  there might be a problem encoding that for BC however...

Offline id10tsyndrome

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 01:30:33 PM »
I had already tried putting the # in front of line 2.. However when I do that, I get NO sound for the phaser at all.

I also tried editing the start sound to make it shorter as I think it comes in at like 5 sec long.  So I took out the first 3 sec of the file so the build-up sound wasn't as long.  It didn't really help either as they seemed to still play at the same time.

You did however give me an idea.... I might merge the sound files so the start sound is a longer sound then have the loop sound as white noise... maybe that will allow it to play correctly. 

This issue is just so annoying to me.... I  remember back in like 2014 when I had a fully modded BC install with a ton of custom sounds, etc.. I was able to create sound files for the Type 10 and Type 12 phasers for the galaxy and sovereign from sound clips from generations and first contact and they worked perfectly.  I just can't understand why I can't get these to work.

Offline id10tsyndrome

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 02:12:45 PM »
So I just merged the two wav files so that the start has the entire sound and the loop is just silence... works perfectly this way....