Author Topic: Bridge Commander Remastered - Galaxy vs Three K'vorts  (Read 978 times)

Offline Wintersfrost

• Cookies: 1
Bridge Commander Remastered - Galaxy vs Three K'vorts
« on: August 10, 2020, 01:13:52 AM »
Short unedited video of me playing Bridge Commander Remastered by VonFrank. It's a Galaxy-class vs 3 K'vort-class Battlecruisers just like in Yesterday's Enterprise. I added a couple of my own little tweaks. Will the Galaxy win against the odds? Watch to find out. Enjoy  :)

Offline vonfrank

• Cookies: 182
Re: Bridge Commander Remastered - Galaxy vs Three K'vorts
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 05:01:19 PM »
Nice video!

I always find it interesting how many players use the bridge combat view instead of the exterior tactical view. I never use the internal view so its strange for me, but most other players on youtube seem to do so.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 06:32:49 AM »
I tend to switch around both external and internal.  there are two reasons for this.

1. ship hitboxes are inconsistant, especially on older mods.  Klingons and Romulans are usually the worst offenders; some can be blown down to a remaining piece only a few meters square and still be flying/not blowing up.  Interior screen use is used to hit these in order to finish the ship off.  this is the kind of inconsistancy Elijah was trying to fix with his remaster mod.

2. many bridge mods focus solely on the back of Felix's head when trying to manually aim.  often as not, especially with TMP widescreen style screens, this cuts the entire section of the screen off that has the ship in it.  another big offender is the Galaxy Refit bridge, which points the cam pretty much at the top edge of the screen frame, cutting off the ship yet again.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline vonfrank

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 12:05:57 PM »
1. ship hitboxes are inconsistant, especially on older mods.  Klingons and Romulans are usually the worst offenders; some can be blown down to a remaining piece only a few meters square and still be flying/not blowing up.  Interior screen use is used to hit these in order to finish the ship off.  this is the kind of inconsistancy Elijah was trying to fix with his remaster mod.

Ya, that was something that was really annoying to fix for my Remastered mod. The difficulty is finding a balance between having weapons blow satisfying holes in ships, VS having ships (especially small ones) become completely erased by having their hull 'visually' destroyed long before the hull integrity reaches zero.

I found the best way to accomplish this was to scale the damage radius modifier for each individual ship in the game to a ratio corresponding to the specific ship's length. This means a Galaxy class has a "DamageRadMod" value of 0.642 (642m ship length) and a Defiant has a "DamageRadMod" value of 0.120 (120m ship length). This results in all ships still taking visual damage, but smaller ones not turning into a tiny little chunk of hull flying around space.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 07:08:09 AM »
this is what Eli and Pyrat were working on in their specific remasters before they dropped off the grid, somewhere.  the hard part would be guessing how to set this for existing mods, as people used random scales on older ones.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 01:52:50 PM »
2. many bridge mods focus solely on the back of Felix's head when trying to manually aim.  often as not, especially with TMP widescreen style screens, this cuts the entire section of the screen off that has the ship in it.  another big offender is the Galaxy Refit bridge, which points the cam pretty much at the top edge of the screen frame, cutting off the ship yet again.
i have fixed all that... 
i have fixed any Felix script for any bridge to where hitting F2 zooms the camera in perfectly centered on the viewscreen itself...
ill upload the Felix script for GenGal as soon as i have the chance, and any other bridge viewscreen fixes anyone may need (in a different thread)...

if after some few days i forget, send me a PM to remind me :)

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 06:15:27 AM »
hope it's the same one i was talking about...I seem to have a problem with grabbing mods people have never heard of :P

still, I hope someone can hint me how to do that manually, and tell me if it's safe.  for some reason, my install tends to crash out when certian things are tweaked for a fix.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 04:04:22 PM »
hope it's the same one i was talking about...I seem to have a problem with grabbing mods people have never heard of :P
all the mods, scripts, etc everything work just fine in my main giant install with no problems anywhere...
this is just a tactical zoom fix...  no reason it wouldnt work in your install of GenGal bridge, it is just a script tweak...

still, I hope someone can hint me how to do that manually, and tell me if it's safe.  for some reason, my install tends to crash out when certian things are tweaked for a fix.
i can te4ll you exactly where in bridge character scripts dictates how the camera zooms and to where...
please believe me, it is far more complex and tedious than you can think of, alot is trial and error...  nevertheless, i can point you in the direction and you can go from there :)

please bring it up in this thread if you would like:
http://www.bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,10722.0.html

anyway, let's please remain ontopic to this therad...

Offline Wintersfrost

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 12:46:40 AM »
Nice video!

I always find it interesting how many players use the bridge combat view instead of the exterior tactical view. I never use the internal view so its strange for me, but most other players on youtube seem to do so.

Thanks vonfrank. I am happy to share media related to Bridge Commander Remastered. It's a great single player overhaul of Bridge Commander that adds replayability to the game. It reminds me how Birth of the Federation was revitalized by many mods that included ships like the Excelsior-class.

For remastered, I am also trying to create an accurate rebalance of the ships. They still need a little tweaking, but I think they are good so far. As you can see, the Galaxy fought valiantly and managed to take out 1 K'Vort  before blowing up from catastrophic damage. I am hoping to release a rebalance and tweaks if you authorize it.

I liked using bridge view to capture the feel from Yesterday's Enterprise.  I may have done some cinematic views, but my ship won't fire weapons in cinematic mode. It's disabled in remastered. For example, in KM I could go to cinematic mode, then free orbit view by hitting F2 key. Then I could fire phasers and photons in that mode for screenshots. Is there a way to enable that in Remastered?

Offline vonfrank

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 02:05:00 PM »
Thanks vonfrank. I am happy to share media related to Bridge Commander Remastered. It's a great single player overhaul of Bridge Commander that adds replayability to the game.

I'm glad you like it overall!  :D

I may have done some cinematic views, but my ship won't fire weapons in cinematic mode. It's disabled in remastered. For example, in KM I could go to cinematic mode, then free orbit view by hitting F2 key. Then I could fire phasers and photons in that mode for screenshots. Is there a way to enable that in Remastered?

That's a feature of KM specifically. The stock game doesn't have the ability to let you fire weapons (or take any other ship action) while in cinematic mode. Only Felix can maneuver and attack while in that mode.

It's certainly something I can look into adding to Remastered though. It would be a cool thing to include.

Offline Wintersfrost

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 07:22:41 PM »
That's a feature of KM specifically. The stock game doesn't have the ability to let you fire weapons (or take any other ship action) while in cinematic mode. Only Felix can maneuver and attack while in that mode.

It's certainly something I can look into adding to Remastered though. It would be a cool thing to include.

Yeah, I can't argue with that. It would definitely be cool. Can't be too hard I imagine with an astute scripter :)

Offline Wintersfrost

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 11:19:30 PM »
Von, I'd also like to ask how can I add more ships to remastered and set them to your scale? It's 1 to 1 right?