Author Topic: Bridge Commander Mobile on Google Play  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Wintersfrost

• Cookies: 1
Bridge Commander Mobile on Google Play
« on: September 11, 2020, 07:25:11 PM »
I came across this browsing Youtube. I was surprised to find it and even more surprised no one's mentioned it yet. Some guys got this out on mobile. Includes multiplayer. Pretty impressive when Excalibur has been in development for years and never released.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
Re: Bridge Commander Mobile on Google Play
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 07:29:01 PM »
Difference being, this game will undoubtedly be shutdown if he decides to publish it on Google Play or Apple's Store (without owning a license).

Excalibur is "flying below the radar". Once it's done, it will be released to the public, free of charge, and by then it's too late to stop it.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Wintersfrost

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 05:03:48 PM »
Not trying to rattle your cage. I just hope Excalibur is released before I am 75 years old!  :funny

Not sure if the developer got a license or even needs one to publish it on Google Play as it's freeware. I guess the IP could try and get monetary gains from it, but normally they'd issue a warning or cease and desist letter first.

Offline vonfrank

• Cookies: 182
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 10:46:09 PM »
Are people still expecting Excalibur to actually be released? It's never gonna happen. That 'game' is vaporware at this point.

As for this Mobile Bridge Commander, looks interesting enough I suppose, but its a shame its on mobile instead of PC. That alone makes it a hard pass for me.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 01:17:26 AM »
Are people still expecting Excalibur to actually be released? It's never gonna happen. That 'game' is vaporware at this point.

As for this Mobile Bridge Commander, looks interesting enough I suppose, but its a shame its on mobile instead of PC. That alone makes it a hard pass for me.

I will not speculate on the "when" or "if" Excalibur is ever being released, as I'm on the Dev Discord (and an Admin on the Public Discord). While not much is heard about Excalibur currently, it's certainly not vaporware. Sure, the game would probably get done quicker with more team members (very few are currently active, but that number fluctuates).

However, bringing in new team members, would also require bringing them up to speed on the development, and then of course there's the risk of new people joining, stealing the dev content, and trying to pass it off as their own (has happened before).

But to sit there, and accuse Excalibur of being nothing more than vaporware, I find rather disrespectful. If you are tired of waiting for Excalibur to be released (and believe me, I'd love for it to be released yesterday, but that doesn't change reality), then the solution is fairly simple:

Make your own game!
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline vonfrank

• Cookies: 182
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 11:55:57 AM »
Whoa!
Not trying to cause drama here. And I certainly wasn't trying to insult the Excalibur devs. They've put in a lot of hard work over the years. I also wasn't demanding "where's the game, release it now!?!?!", so using the age old "Make your own game" line seems like a wild overreaction.

I simply have zero faith that the game will ever end up being released to a level of completion that the project is aiming for. This is not being disrespectful, it is being realistic based on countless other fan games of similar scope. Real life tends to slow down production, and that's okay! The devs don't get paid and real life should always take priority.

I hope that I'm proven wrong (I really, REALLY do), but doubt I will be.

And apologies to Wintersfrost... I wasn't aiming to hijack this thread...

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 11:18:14 AM »
Excalibur is not dead...
But let's save that discussion for another thread (or perhaps not lol)

Why is this game called "Bridge Commander" though? It seems fine enough to have its own title. Are they BC ships?

Offline Haxxor1337

• Cookies: 11
    • .~*BC - Galaxy*~.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 03:10:56 AM »
Are they BC ships?

Maybe, but some models are from Stellaris New Horizons mod.

Offline Wintersfrost

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 06:03:58 PM »
I asked the developer, Kfireven. The models are not stock BC although they make look similar. They were created by David Metlesitis.

I guess was disappointed to see something like this go to mobile. Like Vonfrank, I am not a fan of mobile games. For example, Dragon Ball Legends has great graphics and sound. But Namco Bandai made it into a mobile game instead of for console or PC. I prefer using a controller or keyboard over touch screen and mobile/handheld have other limitations.

I was hoping for BC2 but that was a disaster. I didn't intend this topic to turn into a heated debate over if Excalibur. I would like my thread to focus on the primary topic, Bridge Commander Mobile. However, I would love to see Excalibur released one day soon. I understand the process is taking a long time because the number of active team members fluctuates. Perhaps Darkthunder could give us an update. The last update on Indie DB and Moddb was July 2, 2017.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 07:38:47 PM »
However, I would love to see Excalibur released one day soon. I understand the process is taking a long time because the number of active team members fluctuates. Perhaps Darkthunder could give us an update. The last update on Indie DB and Moddb was July 2, 2017.

Pretty sure we've gone "dark" on most sites, mostly as a result of the lawsuit between CBS and a certain fan project "that shall remain nameless" but which you can find information about via Google if you so choose.

Project is still very much active, but as you noted the amount of active team members tends to fluctuate. Last update I heard about in dev chat, was that they were trying to integrate mod support for the game. Best bet is to join the Public Excalbur Discord. Updates may be few and far between, but they do happen :P

https://discord.gg/p5Ah5uM
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Wintersfrost

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 11:26:03 PM »
Pretty sure we've gone "dark" on most sites, mostly as a result of the lawsuit between CBS and a certain fan project "that shall remain nameless" but which you can find information about via Google if you so choose.

Haven't there been several law suits and cease and desist letters issued by CBS for non-commercial games and fan films? Star Trek Axanar for example? the producers or developers from such media have said, it was never about the money, it was for fans to enjoy it.

The same thing happened with Chrono Trigger. Fans created Chrono Trigger Resurrection and Crimson Echoes. Cease and desist letters were issued for both of them and shut down. Greedy companies are so concerned about making millions off an IP they use the power of the courts to shut down fan projects that are produced and loved by the community. I wish CBS would fall into the abyss and never return.

In an article from Newsweek, Star Trek Beyond director Justin Lin defended Star Trek Axanar by stating, "This is getting ridiculous! I support the fans. Star Trek belongs to all of us." But Rod Roddenberry, son of Gene Roddenberry responded by saying while he's "a fan of keeping Star Trek alive, "fan producers have to follow the rules and do it right," or "there's going to be prices and penalties to pay."

It's a shame it is this way. Some people are so uptight about following the rules a ready to pounce on anyone who has the intention of creating anything Star Trek related for the the love of fans and the community. A lot of the fan based material is much better than anything CBS ever produced. It's almost like they are saying, "Hey, we couldn't do what you could do, and unless we make a cut in it, we're shutting you down."

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 01:12:50 PM »
drifting back ontopic......... lol  :P

so about this game...  looks interesting!   :thumbsup:
but again, why call it "Bridge Commander"?  what about it is Bridge Commander to use the name?
im just curious, no biggie...

Offline Wintersfrost

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 11:00:55 PM »
but again, why call it "Bridge Commander"?  what about it is Bridge Commander to use the name?
im just curious, no biggie...

Might want to ask the Kfireven, the dev that. You can find him on Google Play and Youtube. As the developer, he'd be able to give you all the answers to your questions.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 01:35:08 PM »
Probably because it was inspired by Bridge Commander? Though you can expect project to be shut down by CBS if it ever gains any mainstream attention.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Wintersfrost

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 11:14:32 PM »
There's no bridge mode though although it features many of the same ships and similar combat simulation.

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 01:37:36 PM »
Well it's a mobile game I don't expect much from those.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2020, 12:35:53 PM »
but why the name Bridge Commander when no bridge or BC elements at all...  why would that name be chosen?  to draw attention to it?

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2020, 06:26:17 PM »
Very few people remember BC so I'm not sure that's it. Though Bridge Commander has a nice ring to it. Means you're the captain, in command. So it might be more related to that?
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign