Author Topic: Bridge loading issues  (Read 1456 times)

the Starfleet Kid

Bridge loading issues
« on: April 15, 2007, 03:04:10 PM »
Greetings from the Kid.

JimmyB76 asked me to bring this issue, originally posted at BCFiles, here for help.

I don't exactly remember what I did to cause this, but it appears I've lost access to all my bridges. The ship that I start with is the USS Galaxy, and the bridge at the beginning of Quick Battle is the Sovereign class bridge. But the only bridge I can pick in QB is the Enterprise NX01 bridge. This despite the fact that I start on the Sovereign bridge. Also, I've noticed that the box for scrolling down through the bridges is shorter on the bottom than the edge of the screen.

I don't know if there's some file or another that's been changed or something. I tried re-installing four or five bridges (even though I installed them months ago and haven't installed any new bridges since the Nebula bridge, weeks ago) as well as re-installing Bridge Plugin Core. Not to mention that I have no idea how I managed to do this. All the bridges (files in script and data etc) are present. Even newly installed bridges don't show up. Just Enterprise NX01 or the default Sovereign bridge.

I really don't want to have to go through the trouble of doing yet another complete rebuild of Bridge Commander. If I knew how to fix this simply and quickly, maybe by checking a script or something, I'd be hopefully able to resolve this with a minimum of effort.

JimmyB76 linked me to Sneaker's fix at BCU, and reinstalling that helped until I added a Romulan ship I found on BCFiles to my game. Then the whole thing happened all over again. It seems to be a recurring problem, and it's quite annoying.

Since I don't know if this board does spoiler tags or not, I'll simply put hyperlinks to the screencaps.

Image of the problem: http://pics.livejournal.com/thestarfleetkid/pic/0009fsqr
Console report (partial): http://pics.livejournal.com/thestarfleetkid/pic/0009gbtt

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Bridge loading issues
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 03:13:47 PM »
I take it you have installed KM (this is what I think you have)?
Otherwise, try re-installing the shuttle launching framework.

Could you also post the file:
scripts/ftb/FTB_MissionLib.py

If worst comes to worst, try your previous sollution.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 04:13:08 PM »
i just find it odd that the gal and sov arent in the bridge list - they are stock; if nothing else, shouldnt they at least be in the list?  what would prevent them from being there?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 04:20:20 PM »
i just find it odd that the gal and sov arent in the bridge list - they are stock; if nothing else, shouldnt they at least be in the list?  what would prevent them from being there?
Foundation removed that "static" aspect of them, they too are BridgeDef's (take a look in StaticDefs.py at the bottom). So they are also dynamic now. And since they are dynamic, they can be removed.
Why I wouldn't know.

Oh hang on.
You do have the top mutator on do you? Since most (apparently) bridges are assinged the to Stock mutator. And (I just looked) the NX Bridge is assigned to the QuickBattle mutator (Extra Ships and Mods).
So, check if atleast the top 3 mutators are on.

The reason the initial bridge loads, is because Foundation defines a GetBridge function for mutators, and KM overrides this with his own implementation of it (the zzzShipReplacement.py anyone?). This mechanism uses the direct bridge file (as in scripts/Bridges) so it loads.

PS. I should have rewritten most of this as I rememberd stuff. :P

[EDIT] No, not the PS.
To get back to the topic title, the Sovereign bridge is the most heavy bridge in existance.
I hardly play it, and I seriously consider creating a confirmation message box for my personal install.
If I want to play another bridge afterwards, it's easier, faster, cleaner (though I hope not) to just quit BC and restart it. :P
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

the Starfleet Kid

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 07:28:33 PM »
I take it you have installed KM (this is what I think you have)?
Yeah, the most recent version of it, 0.9.1 or so.

Otherwise, try re-installing the shuttle launching framework.
I've tried that-- I can't launch shuttles either. Not sure why there's a conflict there, either.

Could you also post the file:
scripts/ftb/FTB_MissionLib.py

Will do. As follows:
# MissionLib
# April 17, 2002
#
# by EvanLight aka sleight42
# All Rights Reserved
##############################################################

import App

##############################################################
# Adds the ship, specified by DisplayName, to the Friendly group
# sShipName - The display name of the ship to add to the Friendly group
def AddObjectToFriendlyGroup( sObjectName):
    pMission = App.Game_GetCurrentGame().GetCurrentEpisode().GetCurrentMission()
    pMission.GetFriendlyGroup().AddName( sObjectName)

def AddObjectToEnemyGroup( sObjectName):
    pMission.GetEnemyGroup().AddName( sObjectName)

def AddObjectToNeutralGroup( sObjectName):
    pMission.GetNeutralGroup().AddName( sObjectName)
[/size]

If worst comes to worst, try your previous sollution.
It worked, but I want to fix it permanently, y'know?

You do have the top mutator on do you? Since most (apparently) bridges are assinged the to Stock mutator. And (I just looked) the NX Bridge is assigned to the QuickBattle mutator (Extra Ships and Mods).
So, check if atleast the top 3 mutators are on.
I have all three of the top mutators --Stock Ships, Stock Systems, and Extra Ships and Mods-- active. And I did when I took the screencap.

The reason the initial bridge loads, is because Foundation defines a GetBridge function for mutators, and KM overrides this with his own implementation of it (the zzzShipReplacement.py anyone?). This mechanism uses the direct bridge file (as in scripts/Bridges) so it loads.
That makes sense-- although I don't quite understand why it'd conflict with the shuttle launch framework. That's an old problem I simply didn't know enough about scripting to attempt to fix, but since we're here and it came up, I'd like to launch some shuttles.

Thanks for your help MLeo-- and you too, once again, JimmyB76!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 05:43:59 AM »
It's a bit diffrent from the FTB_MissionLib.py I have. Which is why I suggested you reinstall with the latest version.
I'll attach my FTB_MissionLib.py when I get home.

the Starfleet Kid

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 03:31:23 PM »
I'll attach my FTB_MissionLib.py when I get home.
Thanks! I'd appreciate that :)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 05:30:01 PM »
Thanks! I'd appreciate that :)
It's good that you posted, since I forgot. *oops*

This goes to scripts/ftb/
If you still get a black screen, then it's an extra error, just post the next report.