Author Topic: Casual Stuff  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
Casual Stuff
« on: April 16, 2007, 05:45:01 PM »
I'm posting some renders I did playing with 3DStudio and BC models.

be free to dl them as desktop wallpapers, if you want, but keep in mind that they are actually using other modder's ships, so you're not allowed to upload them as yours, nor I'm claiming ownership of them, just being credited as maker of the pic.

"Poor Odyssey :(" "-Course, Captain? -Wherever as long as it is out of here!!" "-To all ships: Forward!!!!"
"To the unknown... Engage!"

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
Re: Casual Stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 06:39:38 PM »
yah the pic isn't showing up.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:55:53 PM »
*fixed*

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 04:33:26 AM »
Poor Odyssey. :(

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 09:20:35 AM »
Poor Odyssey. :(
LOL

*taken as Pic caption*

AndrewJ

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 12:29:56 PM »
"Sir" I do believe we are fucked

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 12:32:12 PM »
very cool pics
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 01:16:14 PM »
Thanks. I always try to do good stuff.....

more to come on next days, I hope...

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 08:49:21 AM »
The one of the odissey has a great angle and FX, just the bump on the galaxy that looks extremely wierd... you know the actual ship is barely bumped.
The second with the intrepid has the better lighting of all, the only 2 downpoints on it are the fact you're using a extremely low model (p81 isn't it?) and that you nede to adjust the specular level / maps on max differently from bc to make the different surfaces to act differently in max.
The fleet one is a good idea, and the main source light is good at the flare, just the back of it looks strange, perhaps because the ships should be barely back lighten, perhaps giving it more contrast.

As for the credit part, what is commonly accepted in all Cg forums is that, whne you use someone's else stuff, you actually write in the pic the credits to the model author and to yourself as the image author.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 09:56:28 AM »
The one of the odissey has a great angle and FX, just the bump on the galaxy that looks extremely wierd... you know the actual ship is barely bumped.
The second with the intrepid has the better lighting of all, the only 2 downpoints on it are the fact you're using a extremely low model (p81 isn't it?) and that you nede to adjust the specular level / maps on max differently from bc to make the different surfaces to act differently in max.
The fleet one is a good idea, and the main source light is good at the flare, just the back of it looks strange, perhaps because the ships should be barely back lighten, perhaps giving it more contrast.

As for the credit part, what is commonly accepted in all Cg forums is that, whne you use someone's else stuff, you actually write in the pic the credits to the model author and to yourself as the image author.
heh, yeah, I know.....
those errors are kinda intentionally done, my screen is a bit too dark, so I need to adjust the brightness on max to see what I'm doing, and it affects the pic.
the next one will be closer to the shows
the intrepid is WTR's intrepid, with a retexture to white that I forgot who made and I even forgot I had on my HD until I tried to load it in Max. the Bozeman reg is mine.
the speculars on it were set to be used on a darker scene, but I liked this one, so here it is. in Max, I have to combine speculars and glosiness on a metallic material to get a nice effect. I'll post one with a Defiant that I could render nicely  :)
and the fleet was planned to have indeed barely ambience lighting, but, as I said, I was nearly missing what I was doing, so I added more brightness.
these are, I hope, storyboards of a trailer I'm working on. (huh, self-advertising anyone?  :D) Or the fleet one, at least.....

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 04:38:09 AM »
It's amazing how all the crews on the galaxy class ship just happened to be using all the exact same rooms at the exact same time. :D

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 12:30:35 AM »
It's amazing how all the crews on the galaxy class ship just happened to be using all the exact same rooms at the exact same time. :D
I call it coordination  :funny

I've been busy lately, but I could throw up one pic more while testing MentalRay deeper.
added the CG Sovereign one

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
Nice pics.  The Odyssey angles and damage are perfect!  You just need to work on the FX more.

Offline Creative Inc

• Cookies: 11
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 05:49:11 AM »
Looks like you're doing pretty well. With practice, you'll be pro in no time.

And now a shameless plug for my latest render...

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 07:04:48 AM »
Damn nice, CI.
That stock sun/lens flare effect drags quality down abit, tho.

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 08:34:05 AM »
Looks like that sovy is about to dish some hurt...

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 09:13:18 AM »
Looks like you're doing pretty well. With practice, you'll be pro in no time.

And now a shameless plug for my latest render...

that's one of the problems I'm dealing with when it comes to lighting. the hull looks like metal, but it actualy isn't. if we go to the real fact, it's plastic. so I have to texture it like plastic, and it pisses me off 'cuz I can't get the lighting to look right.
I thought that using a glossiness map would help to get that metallic effect, but I had no time to test it yet.
did you use video post in that pic?

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 04:35:33 PM »
I did use Video Post for the stars, glows and other effects. As for the specularity and glossiness: change your Shader Basic Parameters to Anisotropic, use the specular maps that came with the ship for the specular maps(obviously) and increase the overall specularity to 350-400, pure white. Increase the glossiness to around 80.

Those are some of the settings I use for the CGSovereign, but you may need to play around with the settings to get it to look right.
I use the Specular maps for the Bump map and for reflections on the hull for some settings. I could go more in depth about what I have set up... however, the more detailed you get with texture settings the longer it takes to render. That image took about 2 minutes to render and that might not seem long, but I did an animation test render at that resolution and it took over 2 hours for a little under 11 seconds of footage @ 24fps.

If you need anymore information, just ask.  :D

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 04:41:50 PM »
change your Shader Basic Parameters to Anisotropic
?.?
woulda know..........

and yes, if you want it to look right, you have to spend lots of times to get a 5-sec segment of video.
that's why I render by segments. background, first plane, effects, extras and stuff, everything independent from each other, so i prevent two things:
1- long render times
2- file crashes

rendering to JPGs for moving footage allows me to use Premiere with greenscreen to mount the animation, and rendering to TGAs is better for the effects. also, if you render to images and then make a movie (.avi, or .mov, or whatever) once it's done, you can recover the last rendered frame in case of a system crash/overload or a cut of light (yep, happened to me once >.<)

how do you get the starfield to look right? i used video post to render a starfield but it didn't show.
I copied it from a tutorial where it said that I had to use a camera effect; the preview looked fine, but the saved image was a complete crap.

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 05:03:26 PM »
The starfield is tricky. For small preview images, the default amount of stars is fine, but for larger images you need to increase that number. I also recommend that you increase the star pixels to 1.5 and push the dimming down to around 20. Also remember, the bigger your image, the larger the star size should be. The following settings were for a 3840x2160 rendering of that same image.