Author Topic: Casual Stuff  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
Re: Casual Stuff
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »
Looks like you're doing pretty well. With practice, you'll be pro in no time.

And now a shameless plug for my latest render...

Amazing pic C.Inc, as usual.
Materials on the ship are great and lighting is brilliant, my only complain are the bussards, i think they could use some more fading.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 05:12:36 PM »
that (more or less) was what I used.
I'll post the pic I saw in the preview and the pic I saved.

Offline Creative Inc

• Cookies: 11
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 05:17:07 PM »
Amazing pic C.Inc, as usual.
Materials on the ship are great and lighting is brilliant, my only complain are the bussards, i think they could use some more fading.

Eh... The thing with the bussards, is that the glow blocks out all definition of the noise... So, I'm thinking that I'll actually make the material myself out of noise and only have the red glow, instead of having the entire texture map glow... I'll try it and get back...

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 05:43:13 PM »
Eh... The thing with the bussards, is that the glow blocks out all definition of the noise... So, I'm thinking that I'll actually make the material myself out of noise and only have the red glow, instead of having the entire texture map glow... I'll try it and get back...
I'd go using a Mask on the Opacity slot.
and add the noise on the Mask.
I have the settings on the pic I told you

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007, 06:00:32 PM »
Heh, you want to know something funny? I can't get any other material other then CG's bussard texture sequence to map to the bussard 'glass'. When I try to apply a noise, marble, smoke, anything other then a normal image texture to it, it won't map properly. Like the UVW coordinates are not right, so I go and apply a basic uvw map, but it only maps a solid color, no detail.... strange. In the viewport everything looks fine, but to render....

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 08:50:06 PM »
can I borrow you that scene?
or if you have a way to send me the materials you used?

I have something close to that with an Akira, but it's not the same.

also, starfields still don't work :P

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 09:07:20 PM »
All the materials are CG's High Resolution Textures for his Sovereign. I ported the model with Milkshape 3D back when the model was first released with a few changes to fix how some polys were not level with the ones around them.

If you don't have the textures, you can get them at BCFiles. They're about 10MB to download and around 250MB uncompressed.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2007, 09:06:16 AM »
All the materials are CG's High Resolution Textures for his Sovereign. I ported the model with Milkshape 3D back when the model was first released with a few changes to fix how some polys were not level with the ones around them.
I meant the values on the materials.
I already have a CGSov. the 4th render up there ^^

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2007, 10:44:50 AM »
Heh, you want to know something funny? I can't get any other material other then CG's bussard texture sequence to map to the bussard 'glass'. When I try to apply a noise, marble, smoke, anything other then a normal image texture to it, it won't map properly. Like the UVW coordinates are not right, so I go and apply a basic uvw map, but it only maps a solid color, no detail.... strange. In the viewport everything looks fine, but to render....

Get rid of one of the levels, you won?t need them in max anyway.
perhaps cg used a channel 2 mapping there.

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2007, 03:42:13 PM »
Hurray! I finally figured it out, thanks to Legacy's info. It was a very overly complex procedure because it wasn't exactly like you described. However, I can still map the texture animation and have it fit, so I'm happy.
I'll post a screen once I re-render the above image with the improvements.

@Nighthawk. I'll post my material settings with the update.

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2007, 07:54:07 PM »
Ok, finally some progress.

@Nighthawk: Here are the material settings you asked for. The settings are the same no matter the texture (top, hull, nacell, etc). I used these settings in both 3dsMax7 and 9 so you should have no problems, even with earlier versions, such as 4.

@Legacy: Updated Picture  8)

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2007, 08:51:17 PM »
Bussards look top now, but the green nebula... hmm.. right now it's too sparse, i think you should add some minor gaseous effect linking the dots (make the noise treshold on it bigger and lower the fractal values, that assuming you're using a noise)

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2007, 09:05:27 PM »
Eh... I've tried playing with different settings for that nebula, and I don't really want to spend any more time on it. The ship is what's important.

@Nighthawk: I apologize for hijacking your thread.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007, 01:26:40 AM »
@Nighthawk: I apologize for hijacking your thread.
thanks you did.
otherwise, I wouldn't have found that render. I'll try those settings and make a small clip.
let's hope it don't take much time...

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2007, 03:24:04 AM »
here's the pic I promised. get this while I render the video.........

the aim was to get that Nemesis pic on the corner.

yep, I know I couldn't :P

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2007, 04:41:32 AM »
That looks pretty accurate to me!

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2007, 05:08:35 AM »
Hey, great render! It looks really good. Perhaps a higher resolution image is in order?

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2007, 02:27:36 PM »
Hey, the render looks pretty good.
Of course it's pretty small, and that cg sov 1.0 has some things that does not look that good in closeups like that empty white windows, but overall it looks pretty good so far.
Time to add some faint glow to that impulse engine.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2007, 10:10:14 PM »
Hey, great render! It looks really good. Perhaps a higher resolution image is in order?
the image is 1024x768. I resized the placeholder so anyone can see it here. if you right-click and follow it to imageshack it will load in full size.

the starfield tecnique you told me, doesn't work. I don't get a real starfield that changes when I move the camera, it's just a background pic. it's perfect for pictures or standalone renders, tho. but I can't get flybys or travellings with that.
on the other side, looks like Anisotropic materials are faster to render. I spent near 50 seconds to render the whole image, while the pic with the other Sovereign ^^ took me near 2 minutes with Metal and Phong materials, and I had to do some small touches in Photopaint after that.

Hey, the render looks pretty good.
Of course it's pretty small, and that cg sov 1.0 has some things that does not look that good in closeups like that empty white windows, but overall it looks pretty good so far.
Time to add some faint glow to that impulse engine.
actually, that's not CG's texture. I modded it a little so it glows white instead of blue, but the glows in the blue texture were white, so white on white doesn't work :P
the hull, however, is still as it was. so the little windows still glow blue.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2007, 12:30:01 AM »
That is an awesome render, kudos to you nighthawk