Author Topic: PWND!!! BC graphic overload!!  (Read 995 times)

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
PWND!!! BC graphic overload!!
« on: April 27, 2007, 09:31:54 AM »
well, it's kinda hard to explain, I'll try to be clear:

I was testing toned-down ships for a new mod (low graphics, few weapons, new AI...)
and in the middle of a large-scale battle (some 10 vs 10), the game just lagged up for a second, then it freezed. the graphics looked like a screenshot, but I could still hear the battle going on (torpedo hits, phasers, explosions, even the "simulated enemy ship...." sequence played normally.)
I was forced to close BC from the task manager, and that gave me a D3D error when I restarted.
the only solution was to reset my PC, and try again. then, in a 2 vs 2 battle, it happened again. the D3D error again, and all that stuff.

the only thing I think that might have affected it is using 44khz sounds instead of 22khz for pulse weapons (too many sounds at a time. and too many pulse-based ships in one battle)

so, not finding any rational causes for it, I ask you: WTF?  :?

Offline BES

• Cookies: 5
Re: PWND!!! BC graphic overload!!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 10:53:24 AM »
Dont know, my issue was different when I was testing my Wing Commander mod, but it kept crashing(and still does) due to too many pulse sounds among other things..

So I changed it so each weapon so had a different cooldown...seemed to help it out, you could also try renaming the weapon so the sound pack wont work with that weapon and it will fire silent(as far as I know that should work).

Like if you have 5 pulse weapons rename like 3 of them or whatever, adjust the cooldown so it will pause 5 sec or more before firing( with the cooldown thing you may need to adjust other things to compensate for the slower firing rate..

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
Re: PWND!!! BC graphic overload!!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »
yep, I was using too many pulses, indeed.
the problem is that all of them were the same ship: romulan cruisers, with two BOP-like cannons

I also used some warbirds, but they have the same structure I used in a Defiant, and I had no problems with it when I made it, even in large battles.

lowering the sampling rate seems to work, they are all 22khz now and no freezes until now (5 vs 5).... let's push it a bit further......