Author Topic: Installing in Vista  (Read 1800 times)

edcope

Installing in Vista
« on: April 28, 2007, 08:02:05 PM »
I have had a litany of problems with installing this game in Vista, so I had uninstalled it from the system some time ago, and decided today to try again and see if I could sort them out (following a new graphics card driver update).

Now the program will not install.  The installation process goes normally until it is about 36 or 37 percent, but then it stops.  There is no error message... it simply stops.  I cannot use task manager to stop the program, nor will going back to the desktop, right clicking on the program in the taskbar and selecting "close program" force it to stop.  I am unable to turn the computer off without holding the power button down.  When the computer comes back on, I cannot use the add/remove programs option in the control panel to remove what parts of the program did make it onto the computer; I have to manually delete the folder. 

Does anyone have a suggestion, or shall I call a priest with some holy water?

Thanks!

Offline BES

• Cookies: 5
Re: Installing in Vista
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 10:34:25 PM »
Well this may or may not work..but if you have another computer with Win XP and a external hardrive you could try and install it on there and then copy it to a folder in Vista and make your own shortcut, or just run it right off the external drive.

I personally had no issues running it on Vista, never tried to INSTALL it on Vista, my BC install is on a 120gig External USB2.0 drive so I can swap it between 3 differnt computers,one of them runs Vista.

if you cant do any of the mentioned things then I dont know

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 05:33:27 AM »
Have you tried copying the entire contents of the CD to a directory and running from there?

It could be a scratch on the CD making it impossible to read from it.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

edcope

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 11:47:01 AM »
Thanks for your prompt replies!

Unfortunately, I don't have an external hard drive (though that's an excellent idea; I probably should have one).

I tried copying the contents of the disc to the hard drive, but the process stopped roughly 1/3 of the way (interesting...).  Again, I could not close the frozen process without restarting the machine.

I'm not convinced something is wrong with the disc; it works fine on an older machine running XP.  I'm really confused that it worked just three weeks ago, and has been sitting in its case since.

I would appreciate any other ideas.

Thanks!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 11:50:18 AM »
Just make sure you check the disk.

Also, if you still have the old machine (preferably in a network) you can just install it there, and copy the install through the network. BC only needs the disc to be inserted (it doesn't read from it).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline BES

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
I have had the problem where disks would act as if dirty,yet they dont look like it, but wouldnt hurt to take some dish liquid and scurb it with your HAND ONLY,then rinse it untile the soap is gone,pat dry it with paper towel or a soft cloth that doesnt have lint on it...

Try to install something else other than BC on it using the CD rom,if it does the same thing then its most likely a CD Rom issue or a bad cable,unless you did that already.

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 08:12:29 AM »
Could also be worth doing a disk check on your harddrive.
Could be a bad freespace sector.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 10:27:15 AM »
Also, if you still have the old machine (preferably in a network) you can just install it there, and copy the install through the network. BC only needs the disc to be inserted (it doesn't read from it).

you don't even need to copy it. run BC.exe through the network and it should load. I don't remember if you need a CD in your machine or not.
for multiplayer you do need it.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 10:30:05 AM »
you don't even need to copy it. run BC.exe through the network and it should load.
I suppose that's possible, I just really wouldn't like to do it that way.
It should at the very least hurt performance.

I don't remember if you need a CD in your machine or not.
for multiplayer you do need it.
You need it for QB and SP as well.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 10:56:42 AM »
You need it for QB and SP as well.
I meant I'm not sure if you need it when running through the net.
maybe if you have it in the other computer, it should work, but I'm not sure.
and yes, performance will suffer. even with a fast computer you can experience a bit of lag in a normal battle with medium graphic load.

Offline Cube

• DJcube
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 12:30:56 PM »
Have you tried running the installer in XP Compatability mode?

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 02:32:41 PM »
Or run as Administrator?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 02:36:15 PM »
Or run as Administrator?
You shouldn't have to.
It also defeats most of the security of Vista.

marcg

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 04:38:49 AM »
i have disabled the account user controlit was totaly P*****g me of the amount to times it would ask if i wanted to do something , " do you want to run program? , yes , are you sure? yes , run from currant location? YES FFS! lol sorry but Vista just P"*%^&^% me right off ! wish linux would run window games no problem!

Offline BES

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 06:44:37 PM »
Yeah...thats why im only going to use Vista for games...the 32bit version for games with directX10, like Halo3, they are making it for the PC but it requires that you run Vista for directX10..

I heard about some problems about people trying to run old games on the 64bit version of Vista..