Author Topic: WIP: Oberth Class Bridge Re-texture (Awaiting Release! Check page 4 for screens)  (Read 13580 times)

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
Several of us are teaming up to bring you a new re-texture. Main props go to Bsilver2988 who will be doing an amazing job, Supersmegg for help with LCARS, and Mark and Sean for "emotional support" and hopefully some help making this a separate bridge.

I am looking for an Oberth class bridge. It has constantly bothered me to play ships without an appropriate bridge. However, it seems in the mad dash of retextures the Oberth has been neglected (along with ships like the Akira, Norway, Steamrunner, and so forth). Apparently, it is not as important as having 500 billion shoddy Sovereign class textures at BCFiles.

What I would like is a TNG-Era Oberth class bridge. The ship's name would be the Pegasus. According to the episode of the same name, the Pegasus' bridge seems to look like either the 3rd Era Nebula or Ambassador class. I personally do not mind which is used. Or even a bridge not made by 3rd Era. I don't mind.

What I am looking for, however, is detail. I have a good rig, so cloudy textures at max settings will not do it for me.

I know 3rd Era is busy, so maybe a fan can take this? Or perhaps a tutorial on which textures in these bridges I should replace with Oberth MSD images? If the latter is the case, a tutorial on how to make the bridge a separate item on the selection menu would be great.

I apologize for posting this here, but it is a bridge request. And on top of that, it seems simple enough.

Thanks in advance! Please let me know if this is a hit or miss.

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
Re: Request (not specific to 3rd Era) for a re-texture (very simple)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 06:05:11 PM »
Im gonna stand back and see some responses to this, but please restrain yourselves from any flaming.

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 06:11:05 PM »
Forgive me, as I am new to the BC community, but what flaming could occur from this?

I am not putting down any modders, and I shown willingness to do it myself with instruction (I can't seem to find a Bridge modding tutorial.).

I am a major fan of 3rd Era's works. This re-texture will NOT be distributed in any fashion. I am also looking forward to your upcoming projects, especially the TNG Excelsior.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 06:18:28 PM »
i can tell you simply, it won't be done, very sorry...
if i can quote Mark from FF (where someone else had made a Bridge Request)
Quote from: Mark
There are only 2 people active in bridge commander who know how to make a bridge from start to end, one of them is writting this post.

There are 3 bridges in the pipeline about to be released for BC; those are the intrepid v3, the galaxy refit, and the excelsior refit (TNG). After these bridges are complete there will be no more work done for BC bridges as we will be concentrating on ST Excalibur.

so there ya go :)

*goes to join Mark, who is sitting at the bar*

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 06:22:44 PM »
Well, I am not asking for someone to build me a bridge from scratch. No sir, not at all. That would be rude to just assume I could walk in and within 10 minutes have someone do my bidding.

I'm asking if someone can re-texture an existing bridge (in reality, only like 4-5 LCARS images and a dedication plaque) to replace the Ambassador or Nebula MSD/logos with the Oberth Class and the USS Pegasus.

I could do this myself in 10 minutes, but I do not know how to set up an existing bridge like a Nebula or Ambassador to make it where it will show up in the bridge selection menu and after that work in-game.

That's why I said a "simple easy re-texture" instead of "build me a world-class bridge in 10 minutes."

EDIT: I also mentioned "(not specific to 3rd Era)" in the topic title because my post is aimed towards the bridge modding community in general. I didn't want you guys to take time away from your projects to do this for me.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 06:28:46 PM »
ooook, you can drop the slight attitude you're throwing lol

so very sorry for misunderstanding you :)

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 06:30:56 PM »
I apologize for the attitude. Sometimes I have a little trouble with the giant "This user has 0<5 posts" next to my posts. It leads to misunderstandings.

Now that you understand what I am saying, do you have a link to a tutorial that can help me?

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 07:04:14 PM »
EDIT: I also mentioned "(not specific to 3rd Era)" in the topic title because my post is aimed towards the bridge modding community in general. I didn't want you guys to take time away from your projects to do this for me.

To be perfectly honest, the 'bridge modding' community ONLY consists of Mark and co, including textures. Im not saying someone outside of the group would'nt be able to do it. I mean, I myself would like a retexture of the Excelsior bridge to look like the one seen IN 'Star Trek 3: The Search For Spock' but I have accepted the fact that 3rd Era or anyone else wont be doing it because of other projects going on.

All we really can do is ask that someone plays around with textures (like yourself if you have photoshop) and see what we come up with.

Also, Im not trying to make myself to be 'holyier then thou' or anything like that but asking someone to do a retexture for you alone is a little bit rude.

Please dont ban me admins! I tried to lay it out as politely as possible. Im sorry for tredding on this subject.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 07:19:25 PM »
Never said I demanded a retexture.

In fact, due to the complete lack of Oberth MSD's, I am making one of my own. It's looking pretty good at about 35% completion.

As I said before, I am fully willing to do it myself. I know how to replace textures (which is all the retexture), but I need to know how to make the Oberth bridge separate from say...a Nebula (of all of 3rd Era bridges, it has the most scientific readouts on LCARS, which means less editing for me).

And to say that 3rd era is the ONLY bridge modding group out there is a little extreme. I am sure there are many people out there who can do retextures. Granted that Mark and Sean are the best of the best, mind you.

I was referred here from a Legacy forum, actually.

Needs a little smoothing around the Starfleet logo. I could also use a tip as to what font Starfleet seems to use when I start adding subsystems.

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 07:29:33 PM »
And to say that 3rd era is the ONLY bridge modding group out there is a little extreme.

But they really are the only bridge modding group left. Alot of people that were bridge modders have moved onto other games. Except for Mantis, but he hasnt updated his bridge in a while.

On a retexturing help, Im trying to find a good high res of an oberth MSD, to help you out with the retexture.

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 07:33:06 PM »
There's not going to be a canon MSD, as TNG never saw fit to show one at a flat angle.

The one I am doing is based off of a fan-made MSD used for deck comparison.

What I could use is smaller panels of the ship for the smaller consoles.

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 07:37:35 PM »
You mean images of an Oberth at like different angles but as they would look if they were on a screen?!?. I'll see if I can find some for you.

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 07:43:56 PM »
Well, I've decided that the bridge I would like to re-texture is going to be the Nebula bridge.

Look through the textures for the Nebula set for anything that has a picture of a Nebula. Then, give me the filenames. And if you want to help further, finding hi-res MSD's that could potentially replace those Nebula textures would be great.

bsilver2988

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 07:59:02 PM »
Hey barihawk...i'm gettin pretty good with retexturing.  i've been doing some side projects on the side..which are hopefully going to be released soon along side the BP Core Gold. 

if you want, i'd be happy to team up with you on this one and retexture the nebula class or ambassador class bridges we currently have.  i'd add in BP Core features too.  if you can figure out how to make it a separate bridge then we're in business.

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 08:09:53 PM »
I appreciate that big-time. I don't really know what BPCore features could be added to a simple little Obby, but I will leave that up to you. I am currently working on the big MSD for the back of the Nebula bridge. If you could work on the other instances of the Nebula MSD on the various stations, that would rock. I would also like the bridge to be darker than the almost matte white the 3rd Era Farragut seems to be. And dark red seats would rock. :P

Let me know what else I can do to help out. I don't have photoshop, but I do have Paint.Net.

Now my question to Mark or Sean is: How exactly do you make a separate bridge? What .py files do you need, what kickbacks to the bridge set, what?

bsilver2988

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 08:13:45 PM »
if you want your MSD to match my lcars, you'll probably be wanting to either finish it before i start the lcars, so i can see what yours looks like, or just let me do that too.  its up to you. 

also..we unfortunately wont be able to actually make the bridge any darker.  we can make the textures darker, but the ambient lighting is coded into the bridge and can't be changed.

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 08:15:48 PM »
That's what I meant. The lighting is brilliant, but the walls are washed out at green alert. Something like a darker tan for he walls, red seats, your pick on the carpet.

I'll try to finish the MSD as soon as possible. Here's an up-to-date image:

bsilver2988

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 08:24:43 PM »
its nice...if you want tan walls you might consider a color other than yellow..but they look good so far

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 08:37:32 PM »
Well, that's Starfleet Goldenrod. The Bridge Commander in the BCC logo at the top of the page and just about every major panel uses this color :P. Not my fault Starfleet has bad taste.

I've started separating compartments in the MSD and added the main service turbolifts that run from the saucer to the secondary hull. I'll soon be adding a smaller personnel turbolift to the Saucer and Secondary hull. 

Offline Barihawk

• My Released Work
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 09:13:29 PM »
Yes, I know the shuttle bay is not canon, but whatever :P. I am of course going with the Pegasus specs here, and the Pegasus was about twice as big as your normal Oberth. There is no canon size of Oberth, and I prefer the "large side" of the speculation.

Bump with a new MSD: