Author Topic: Wow, need some SERIOUS help verifying an Activision contact  (Read 5902 times)

Offline BES

• Cookies: 5
Re: Wow, need some SERIOUS help verifying an Activision contact
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2007, 12:59:01 AM »
Yay, hes here, cool...now we need to find the others, that acctually remember the game..lol...if any..

And BTW Writeall, Nano(the guy who did NanoFX 2.0) is acctually making a large scale graphics engine for future Trek games.

So hes putting his skills to good use, I dont think he plays BC anymore but he did an awsome job on NanoFX

His site,if you havent been there yet:  http://www.nanofx.org/phpBB2/

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2007, 07:23:25 AM »
its probably got the strongest storyline in any trek game
I'm afraid I'm going to have to disgree with you mark.

BC's story was good, it's true, but not a patch on Klingon Academy. Christopher Plummer and David Warner were awesome, the FMV sequences were brilliant, and the Klingon Civil war was amazing.

Someone totally needs to to a KA total conversion for BC, I'm amazed to realise that not only have I not seen it suggested before now, but that I haven't thought of it before either.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2007, 07:42:26 AM »
Although it hasn't been suggested to do a 1 on 1 TC, it has been suggested on serveral occasions to port certain parts of it to BC. I believe the Advance Power Management by Defiant is the product of one such occasion.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2007, 07:56:10 AM »
Don't want to hijack the thread further, but I don't think doing a proof of concept would be too hard.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2007, 07:57:34 AM »
Don't want to hijack the thread further, but I don't think doing a proof of concept would be too hard.
Then why don't you create a thread for it? ;)
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Writeall

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2007, 11:57:57 AM »
I'm curious...When the storyline was created for BC, was the story written like a screenplay for a movie? or is there a specific way just for the developement of a game? (Derr, I guess not since you have to include 2 posibilities for each decision made in the game, I would assume.)

My brother is going to college for screenplay writing and I was wondering if it is similar. (I am trying to include my brother in my production.)

I suppose I should check out your live video page for the making of bc video...

Well, it depends on the project.  Obviously on DS9 we wrote in Final Draft.  When Dorothy and I did BC we wrote in Final Draft...then exported it to Word so others could make notes in other colors and we could track changes on the variations on the script. 

Writing for Tactical Assault was completely different.  Much like writing for comics in that we had limited space per line delivered on screen, and of course no one wants to sit there and read for too long when you don't have VO...so that was a consideration as well.  We would start with an outline in Final Draft...then paste the dialogue into an Excel file.  At that point we would have to make further alterations if the lines were too long per cell.   

When we did Legacy...we wrote primarily in Final Draft...then exported it to word or a PDF and let the team look at the material that way. 

With the branching endings and such on BC...we did alternate script pages for those...and Final Draft has a nice feature to let you lay out scenes that overlay with virtual 3x5 cards to organize your scenes.  Hope that answers your question.

Writeall

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2007, 12:07:14 PM »
Ditto, can you post a link?

You have great taste in games. I76 was an awesome game. And Tactical Assault, despite not exactly being realistic in gameplay (My benchmark in those terms is Klingon Academy *Drool* - but then I think all Trek games should be Space Sims or FPSs, or a mix of the two) really feels like Star Trek, and not just any Star Trek, it feels like 23rd century trek. A really enjoyable game. Pity there's no VO to draw you into the strikingly well written plot and characters.

But who was responsible for the Vor'cha class being in the game?! *cocks shotgun*

http://www.livevideo.com/Writeall

Thats the link to my LV page.  I loved playing I76...it was just plain fun and a wild ride.  I especially loved the mission when you had to save Taurus and jump that ravine while being chased by helicopters...lol, great fun.  And thank you for your kind words on Tactical Assault...Quicksilver was great to work with, and writing that period of Trek was really a great opportunity.  Originally they came to us with the idea of doing a TOS game...but we felt that doing the storyline in TMP era would be more interesting  as there was a "lost period" there if you will where things happened that weren't seen previously...just as in Klingon Academy.  Which by the way, Dorothy was called in by Interplay to fix.  She had to change the original script and polish up the dialogue and story.  I'll pass along all of your nice comments on KA...which I also loved to play.

As for the Vor'Cha...(we didn't do it) lol.  We did inform the team that this particular design didn't come into service until the 24th century timeline...but the art had already been finalized and ironically...approved by Paramount.  But...they did change the model slightly and they speculated that it would have been a predecessor to the eventual Vor'Cha design.  Ultimately it was a design decision to flesh out the Klingon fleet for that era that PM would approve.  Other than that one thing in TA however, I think the rest of the game was pretty well done. 

RhVaurek

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2007, 05:45:44 PM »
 Its always good to see the Lost period of the TMP era, it has such character and possibilities because of its limited TV or FILM coverage and lets face it everyone loves the scene where Kirk looks at his new refitted Beauty of the USS Enterprise.
 I will however celebrate the day that a new TOS totaly oriented ST game is made, I think I have only ever played one like that and for the life of me cannot remember its name. If anyone remembers it please tell me its name lol.

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2007, 08:45:15 PM »
25th anniversary? Judgement Rights? Secret Of Vulcan Fury (cancelled, so, no)
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!