Author Topic: Star Trek: Excalibur X Star Trek: Titan  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
Star Trek: Excalibur X Star Trek: Titan
« on: May 17, 2007, 04:52:39 PM »
Ok, i admit that CR's work at his Luna Class, and some research i've done for ST: Excalibur and some other personall projects brought me look at the Star trek books, or as people call "Expanded universe".
However, differently from SW:EU where everything published goes strictly through LucasArts and is considered canon, ST:EU seems to have hundreds of books, several of them contradicting each other.

All that research accidentally brought me to the ST:Titan novell books, which, we all know, feature Riker?s ship, the Titan (which i always planned to have fit somewhere at excalibur, due to our plot) and reading the synopsis of the books i got shocked up with what they have done.

Basically they hit and damage the romulan star empire way deeper than even a century wouldn?t fix, and that hits excalibur storyline.
I won?t give any spoilers, but several stuff that happens during ST: Titan would affect excalibur storyline, specially wierd stuff like the overall civil war, the missing fleet throught the space rift that none of us saw at nemesis and the fact that the remans were relocated from remus.
As someone that always liked the romulans in trek, see the romulan star empire down to rubble like that is offensive, as even a civil war would take a long time to hit that bad a vast empire.

My personal opinion is that several events in the novell would contradict common sense of trek evolution, but that?s my opinion, and i would like to hear some opinions before changing the current plot we have for excalibur to fit it to the titan storyline.

Please vote and explain it, we want opinions.

LC

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Star Trek: Excalibur X Star Trek: Titan
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 05:41:02 PM »
I'm with you on the Romulan Empire front.

I say: "What is this Star Trek: Titan you keep refering to? Can you eat it?"
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
Personally I say: Star Trek: Titan is non-canon, so do with Star Trek: Excalibur however you wish to :D

Books hasnt been regarded as canon in the past, so why start now?
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 06:54:19 PM »
I agree (and this rarely happens LOL) with darkthunder.

Ignore the ST: T novels and stick to your original plan.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 07:29:34 PM »
Personally I say: Star Trek: Titan is non-canon, so do with Star Trek: Excalibur however you wish to :D

Books hasnt been regarded as canon in the past, so why start now?
absolutely! :)

Offline Rob Archer

• Cookies: 545
  • New Frontier MKVI
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 08:26:33 PM »
Personally i find some of the books storyline questionable to so id say not cannon...

Offline MickJo

• Cookies: 7
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 05:58:58 AM »
non-canon, its a hell of a read, but it isn't acknowledged as official. This is true of most books unless its a movie or episode novelization.

Offline Rob Archer

• New Frontier MKVI
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 10:37:05 AM »
non-canon, its a hell of a read, but it isn't acknowledged as official. This is true of most books unless its a movie or episode novelization.

I dissagree even the movie novelisations tend to twist the storyline too much introducing simply stupid plot elements: For example

Voyager Endgame Novelisation: In the Novel Seven of Nine get pregnant (I know) and the borgs assimilation virus is launched Both are totaly outragous plot elements, Now i know the borg "Did" plan to use the assimilation virus on earth but how did they get it to earth, Non of voyagers crew were infected, The sphear was destroyed almost a lightyear from earth.....

thats why they should be considered Non Cannon

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 10:42:34 AM »
let's redefine what you call "canon".
if you say that a show/movie IS canon, then take a look at the mistakes in a single show, between movies, and in crossed references between shows: TOS/ENT: The appearence of the first Connie, TNG/TMP: Reference to Kirk in "Relics" and "Generations", VOY/FC: battles with the Borg, TNG/FC: time travelling, TNG/ENT: Borg encounters again.......
now, considering that always the books/novels/TAS were labeled "non-canon", can you imagine the amount of mess they will add to an already messed up canon script?

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 02:22:38 PM »
as far as my fanfic (see sig), I use a selective approach to books, and other fanfic, for example, when I brought the USS Titan in for a cross over episode, (STNO: Gateway to Armageddon) I took elements from the books, and I combined them with a little conjecture, and some lines from the nemesis script, while I dropped certain elements that were contradictory.  another possible example, from the same fic, was my use of Travis Anderson's Special Investigations Division, another fan fic, in this case, he had stated that there were no starfleet marines, which contradicted my fic where there are SFMC, so I simply ignored this fact of his, I treat them sort of like a Trek metaverse, so I twist any references to other stories so that they fit in mine.

Weasel

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 03:14:30 PM »
None of anything called, "Trek"- except the phenomena about which this site is dedicated- is based on reality, and therefore, nothing can be regarded as canon.

None of it is "canon", none of it is real. You can make believe, and add to another person's version of make belief, all you want. It's called imagination, and it's a wonderful thing to have.

Imagination is the first step towards creating anything.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 05:08:04 PM »
exactly

you decide what is "real"

Offline Rob Archer

• New Frontier MKVI
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 07:44:15 PM »
I've always though that with so many opinions and materials the fans should take it upon themselves to develop a Unified Trek Time Line, Decide what should and should not be included, and what makes sence in the trek universe, And to also come up with solution to many of the Trek Paradoxes which have emmerged over time, Such as the Prometheus Registry Number and the other issues, we could also include fan created ships and series as well, With Excalibur Representing the "Post Nemesis" Era.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 05:49:04 AM »
There is one small problem with that, people. ;)
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

RhVaurek

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 07:25:02 AM »
 Yeh they never agree on the important things and even less on the not so important ones :P
 Personaly I view the ST: Novels as an extended resource of ST information, history and general me wanting to read em :)

I havev't read ST: Titan yet, and only found out about it via google the other day, and I will soon get a copy of it. Personaly I agree that you can choose which you believe, if a plot is too "outrageous" from what we know from the series, films then disregard that, continue Excalibur in however manner you see fit. Lets face it we all have our own opinions an ideas on whats the best episode or the best ship or the best plot line so the ST timeline is fairly indivigual in the little things if you read the books.

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 08:11:53 PM »
ST novels aren't canon.  The story in Star Trek: Excalibur is safe.  :)