Author Topic: USS Cutty Sark  (Read 1880 times)

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
USS Cutty Sark
« on: May 25, 2007, 07:11:36 AM »
Hearing about the near-fate of the famous sailing ship of the same name, I felt inspired to make a starship based on the same name. This is in here because, let's face it, no model I make ever turns into a mod even if it is game-model standard rather than proper CGI.

Current stats are polys 4270 points 3900.

The nacelles are still placeholders, but I've got the overall hull shape fixed and enough detail down to feel happy posting it. It's 130m longer than the sovereign at 810m, but smaller in both other dimentions and the overall hull volume is much less, which means I fell I can get away with it. I wanted to create something sleek and fast-looking, and I'm particularly happy with the side profile.
The shuttlebay is pretty small for a ship of this size, only big enough for two Danube class runabouts, which means the Ship's yacht is used more frequently by the crew.

In terms of timeline, It's round about Nemesis era, but in terms of armanent it's quite lightly armed, with two quantum torpedo turrets and five phaser arrays. Enough to defend herself, but not a warship like the sovereign. The torpedo turrets have been redesigned to allow a 250' field of fire which gives an overlap and added flexibility.

It has 12 decks, half that of the sovereign.

Pics:

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
Re: USS Cutty Sark
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 07:33:50 AM »
i like the design!

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 07:43:25 AM »
Hehe, It's a bit like a sovy-intrepid-norway half breed. I'm seriously going to have to learn texturing someday, but I hear that's hard to do in Paint.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 12:40:33 PM »
Looks good.  I like how you decided to abandon the secondary hull.  I don't see why this couldn't become a mod if it were to be textured.

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 01:04:11 PM »
I thought it looked fast this way. There are other ships without a secondary hull, for example the norway and akira, but neither of them have the nacelles swept up at the back.

There are several reasons I don't think it will become a mod.
I've never made textures before, and I hear Paint isn't exactly the right place to start.
Also, the model is made in Lightwave 5.6, which makes it perfect for KA, but near impossible to put into BC. I think ExecutionerD once put a Y-wing by me into BC, but I don't know if any copies of that still exist. I've also never written a hardpoint.
To cap it all off, I don't even have my BC CD at uni with me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to learn, it's just that I've been messing around modelling in an outdated version of LW for 7 years now and it hasn't happened yet. Texturing is one thing I'm going to have to attempt eventually anyway. I've got an idea for a project this summer and it would be handy.

As far as this model goes, next thing on the to do list is some proper nacelles. I don't have any fixed ideas, but at the moment I'm definately thinking rounded like modern Excelsior nacelles rather than angular like the sovy's.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 01:07:15 PM »
Look up Gimp (or The Gimp).

It's as powerfull as Photoshop (or so they say).

As for hardpoints, I'm sure someone will be willing to do it (I can't, though I'm a scripter, I suck at creating proper values :P).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 06:38:56 AM »
I've now got gimp, but I've never even had any experience with photoshop before, so I'm finding it heavy going. Especially when the beginners tutorials expect you to know where to find the Plasma plugin.  :?

Offline UPD Equinox

• Cookies: 2
    • Section 31 RPG
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 04:10:45 AM »
The ship looks wierd.... sorry... Its a unique design though i'll give you that!

Offline cpthooker

• Cookies: 37
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 05:28:13 AM »
I like what your trying to do but my only concern is that its very long, apart from that its good

'As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy, than to create.'
Capt Spock - The Wrath of Khan

PC Spec
Athlon X2 Skt AM2 6000+, 4GB DDR2 800 Ram
XFX Geforce 8800 ultra, Vista Ultimate 64bit

AndrewJ

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 04:36:23 PM »
It's a nice futuristic step forward for Starfleet who normally make ships which you just aim for the saucer section and open up weapons to drop their shields down, a more slim ship with poses a better tactical posture.

I love the design and how your devoting it's name to a historic ship :)

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 02:06:19 PM »
I like it very much but those nacelles looks a bit plain and in my opinion they need some work