Author Topic: BSOD - AttributeError: PlayOpeningMovies (Gravity FX)  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Dante Leonhart

• Executive Producer Bridge Commander Series
  • Cookies: 22
    • Leonhart Studios
BSOD - AttributeError: PlayOpeningMovies (Gravity FX)
« on: May 28, 2007, 06:40:17 PM »
Well, I installed Gfx and immediately got a BSOD. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to give a console dump because I can't get the console to come down. Hitting tilde doesn't do anything and the ds9fx console dump (shift+p) doesn't work either.

Now, the strange thing is, I used the gfx uninstaller to uninstall the mod, but it didn't do anything. All the files are still in place.

Stranger still, when I load up a completely different install of BC (untouched by gfx) I still get a BSOD. I don't understand how that can be possible.

Edit: I got a console dump

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g8/Dante_Leonhart0001/Untitled-1copy-1.jpg

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
RE: BSOD - AttributeError: PlayOpeningMovies (Gravity FX)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Dante: try here page 1, very bottom (that explains)
http://bcscripters.com/forums/index.php/topic,624.0.html
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Dante Leonhart

• Leonhart Studios
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 07:03:01 PM »
There's already a folder there called 'logs' :(

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 07:33:51 PM »
I had the same problem, but my install didn't have the logs file or the .txt, so I fixed it, like in the thread and it worked, are you sure you've got everything?

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 08:36:45 PM »
I had the same problem, but my install didn't have the logs file or the .txt, so I fixed it, like in the thread and it worked, are you sure you've got everything?

I had same trouble, works fine now

I'm at a loss Dante

Go http://bcscripters.com/forums/index.php/topic,624.0.html  and submit the console deport
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 10:04:38 PM »
lol, that's almost the same error I had when I installed gfx 1.0

I actually had to run TimeMeasurement.py with Python's IDLE.  I used the Check Module function and it reported that there was some spaces where there should be tabs.  Weird thing but ok.  Once I created the folder Logs and put the file "GravityManagerLOG.txt" and edited the timemeasurement.py, that game worked after that.

Then again, I can always send the "TimeMeasurement.py" to your e-mail.  I don't have a clue if it will work for you or not but can try it anyway.  Just back up that file just in case anyway.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s318/cordanilus/consolereport.jpg

Offline Dante Leonhart

• Leonhart Studios
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 11:13:47 PM »
sirneotheone@gmail.com

Go ahead and send it anyway, I'd appreciate it... I have no idea how to edit that in Python.

Tell me something... Gravityfx/logs ... what files are in there and is there an init.py in just the Gravityfx folder?

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 11:20:01 PM »
GravityFX/Logs...

I just made a blank txt file and called it "GravityManagerLOG.txt"

I don't have an init.py in the folder.  as long as the folder is there with a the file mentioned above.  The timemeasurement.py was just an extra thing I had.

k, sending the file.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 09:57:04 AM »
I think it needs an __init__.py (note the underscores, they are important) if you want to create a file, so if the file is already there, then you are safe.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 10:16:02 AM »
guys, if you just copy-paste MANUALLY the folders to the BC folder, it should work.
looks like the installer failed compiling one of the folders, so the scripts won't find it, giving a BSOD.

I have GFX installed manually and thus far, it works. once you install it, go to UMM and disable the logging options, just in case.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 10:42:14 AM »
I think it needs an __init__.py (note the underscores, they are important) if you want to create a file, so if the file is already there, then you are safe.
Mine does Not have one!
TiqHud

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 10:45:51 AM »
But you do have a txt file in it (which is what I said).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 01:36:43 PM »
The Logs folder isn't script related, but it's required. __init__.py isn't needed on it.
It is there just for GravityFX to dump logs into it, that's why when i packed GFX up i left it empty, why would i send you a log with the install? lol
But the .exe installer doesn't create the folder, probably because it is empty...

Also, creating .txt files in it isn't necessary, the Logger creates them if they aren't there, the only problem is if the folder is missing, because it doesn't create folders. And that is exactly what happened.

Now, what is REALLY strange is the TimeMeasurement *supposed* bug, supposed because i have it here, working, exactly like i put it in the pack, and all made using tabs, no spaces... Plus the console report DOESN'T tell what error happened in that line (you know, AttributeError, ImportError, etc...)
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 01:52:16 PM »
The Logs folder isn't script related, but it's required. __init__.py isn't needed on it.
It is there just for GravityFX to dump logs into it, that's why when i packed GFX up i left it empty, why would i send you a log with the install? lol
But the .exe installer doesn't create the folder, probably because it is empty...

Also, creating .txt files in it isn't necessary, the Logger creates them if they aren't there, the only problem is if the folder is missing, because it doesn't create folders. And that is exactly what happened.

Now, what is REALLY strange is the TimeMeasurement *supposed* bug, supposed because i have it here, working, exactly like i put it in the pack, and all made using tabs, no spaces... Plus the console report DOESN'T tell what error happened in that line (you know, AttributeError, ImportError, etc...)
I know that error. I've encounterd it many times before.

It only needs the __init__.py(c) to create the file, but for reading/writing to an existing file is fine.

Offline USS Frontier

• Cookies: 562
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 02:10:50 PM »
Which one of those that i mentioned exactly?
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"
                    -Old Klingon Proverb
GravityFX Download
Galaxy Charts Download

RhVaurek

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 02:14:47 PM »
 I also had the BSOD problem immediately upon installing GravityFX, however for some strange reason and dont ask me why, I did nothing except Install it again straight away overwriteing its own already installed files and its worked ever since. Good mod too.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 02:16:14 PM »
Which one of those that i mentioned exactly?
That would be the one without things like AttributeError or ImportError (the second one in this thread).

Sorry about that.

Offline Dante Leonhart

• Leonhart Studios
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 02:30:52 PM »
So... I don't need __init__.py in the logs folder or do I. Should I copy it from the Gravityfx folder? lol sorry guys, I'm getting confused on what I need to do to fix the problem.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 02:45:02 PM »
did you try manually installing it?  copy/pasting the data and scripts folder from GravityFX's "Manual Install" folder?  that should fix it...

Offline Dante Leonhart

• Leonhart Studios
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 03:02:20 PM »
Yeah. I actually did that first and then tried the autoinstall when that didn't work. I think I'm going to just delete all of BC, copy over a back up and then try it all again to see if that works.

Edit:

Ok.... I just did a complete reinstall of BC.

Now it works. I have no idea why. I would guess maybe I dragged the manual install folders to the wrong directories in BC the first time, but that would probably have given different errors than what was already being reported. lol in any case, reinstalling everything seemed to work.

I really appreciate you guys helping me out!!