Author Topic: Question re: Ship Selection Menu  (Read 1917 times)

Offline pr1983

• Cookies: 1
Question re: Ship Selection Menu
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:30:14 PM »
First of all, my apologies if this has been asked already or if i have put this in the wrong place...

Basically, i've dl'd ships and added them to the game with varying levels of success, but one thing that bugs me is how the ship selection menu looks...

for instance, i dl'd a ship, 'USSMajestic', a nice enough Miranda class as you probably know, but on the actual ship selection menu it appears as just that, 'USSMajestic'.

I looked through the scripts and couldn't seem to find one for the list, so that's why i'm here...

i just want to change the menu so it reads 'Miranda' with a submenu showing 'USS Majestic'

if someone could point me in the right direction i'd be very grateful...

also the descriptions, if anyone knows how to edit those, please let me know...

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Question re: Ship Selection Menu
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 12:59:31 PM »
This is possible with SubMenu (any version, I advise 3.7).

Can you provide a link to the mod on BCFiles?
Contrary to popular belief, I don't know all the mods. :P
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 01:29:04 PM »
First of all, my apologies if this has been asked already or if i have put this in the wrong place...

Basically, i've dl'd ships and added them to the game with varying levels of success, but one thing that bugs me is how the ship selection menu looks...

for instance, i dl'd a ship, 'USSMajestic', a nice enough Miranda class as you probably know, but on the actual ship selection menu it appears as just that, 'USSMajestic'.

I looked through the scripts and couldn't seem to find one for the list, so that's why i'm here...

i just want to change the menu so it reads 'Miranda' with a submenu showing 'USS Majestic'

if someone could point me in the right direction i'd be very grateful...

also the descriptions, if anyone knows how to edit those, please let me know...
this is incredibly easy if you have the new BC Ship Menu Creator, http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Bridge_Commander_Ship_Menu_Creator;78117
to change the ship's display name, just type in the name you want under ship name, if you want a submenu, just check the submenu box and enter the name of the submenu you want

Offline pr1983

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 07:34:44 PM »
This is possible with SubMenu (any version, I advise 3.7).

Can you provide a link to the mod on BCFiles?
Contrary to popular belief, I don't know all the mods. :P

this is where i got it from: http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/;68668

this is incredibly easy if you have the new BC Ship Menu Creator, http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Bridge_Commander_Ship_Menu_Creator;78117
to change the ship's display name, just type in the name you want under ship name, if you want a submenu, just check the submenu box and enter the name of the submenu you want

no luck so far, but i'll keep at it...

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 07:39:48 PM »
what are you still having trouble with, it should work fine

Offline pr1983

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 09:25:56 PM »
do i have to remove and reinstall the ships for it to work? that would be a problem, as the ships i'm trying to install come in .exe form...

if not, then i dunno...  :?

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 11:14:10 PM »
no, just delete the ships .pyc file in scripts/custom/ships

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 06:12:06 AM »
this is where i got it from: http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/;68668
no luck so far, but i'll keep at it...
Um, I meant the Majestic mod link.

I created the mod you linked, so I already would have it. :P
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline pr1983

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
no, just delete the ships .pyc file in scripts/custom/ships

i'll give it a try...

edit: s**t... i tried that, but to no avail... damn my ocd...

Um, I meant the Majestic mod link.

I created the mod you linked, so I already would have it. :P

oh right, s**t...

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/USS_Majestic;26101

vulgarity censored  - jb76

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 08:22:11 PM »
the .pyc is the file that the game "Reads" it creates them from the .py of the same name if there isn't one already, so if you make a new .py, by using the BCSMC you need to delete the old .pyc so it creates a new one based on the new .py, otherwise it will ignore the new one.

edit: you need to take the new .py file that was created by BCSMC from the BCSMC file and place it in scripts/custom/ships, otherwise the game wont read it

Offline pr1983

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
jb (or is it jh, my screen isn't loaidng it properly): sorry, but i think vulgar is a pretty heavy word to use... not pickng a fight or anything, just sayin...  :oops:

ACES: dude, i finally got it, many thanks... yr last post helped me figure it out... :D

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 07:37:25 AM »
jb (or is it jh, my screen isn't loaidng it properly): sorry, but i think vulgar is a pretty heavy word to use... not pickng a fight or anything, just sayin...  :oops:
sorry, perhaps it was too heavy of a term to use...  it's just swear words arent allowed in any of the forums, except the Spam and Political Forums...

Offline pr1983

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 08:50:53 PM »
no biggie... i'll watch my typing in future...

Offline pr1983

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 06:08:02 PM »
ok, so after a long, long hiatus, i'm back playing bridge commander again... and i'm having this weird problem...

even if i do a fresh install, once i install nanofx (i think its nanofx anyways), stuff starts to appear in my selection menu, say, the intrepid bridge i had installed before, even though i havent installed it yet and the files arent in the directory...

usually what i do is: install bc, then the patch, then bcmi and bcsmc, then nanofx, then bridgeplugincore, and then start installing everything else...

i thought it might be a registry problem, but i don't know where to begin looking for this...

(sorry to bump this thread, but i did a search and found nothing, and didnt neccessarily want to start a new one)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 06:40:21 PM »
NanoFX shouldn't install bridges.

Could it be that you installed it from an old install?
Or that you didn't clear out the old directory after uninstall?
I think this is the most probable situation.

Remember, after the 1.1 patch, install Foundation!

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 07:13:05 PM »
i'd recommend to start a brand new fresh install - then install the BC 1.1 Patch on BCFiles - then install KM1.0 over that...  thats all - KM1 contains the Foundation, BPCore, NanoBeta2, UMM, Foundation Tech, etc etc; that will more or less bring you up to speed...

Offline pr1983

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 08:49:57 PM »
mleo: it doesnt install the bridges, but the entries still appear on the selection menu, for some strange reason... what do you mean old install? and yes, i always clean out the directory after deleting...

jimmy: i am tempted to just install KM, but i'd heard of bug problems on BCfiles, so i'd be worried...

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 08:57:15 PM »
Don't be worried, KM 1.0 works perfectly fine and it is a to easier to install than all of the mods separately.

Offline pr1983

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 09:11:17 PM »
i'll download it then...

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 07:16:52 AM »
mleo: it doesnt install the bridges, but the entries still appear on the selection menu, for some strange reason... what do you mean old install? and yes, i always clean out the directory after deleting...
Well, that is the only way it could re-appear afterwards.