Author Topic: !!!please give me some advise and help!!!  (Read 1029 times)

d3im0s

!!!please give me some advise and help!!!
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:34:38 PM »
since I rediscovered my "old" bridge commander I was trying to modify
the game with some files and ships from www.bcfiles.com....

it took me quite long to understand the way of installing new ships with the BCMP and BCMI....

still I got alot of problems with the mods.....I may sound noobish to you experienced guys but I hope you can help me and answer me some questions.

- nano FX-lighning mod seems to be a "must have"....is that right?

- I want to have a multi-vektor-assault mode (e.g. for prometheus).....found the advanced tech. 1 but it is incompatible to nano FX....my quick battle screen keeps being black while having installied both....is there another one??

- I want to have a shuttle launch mod...which one is the best (and of course compatible to the other mods?)

-which is the best weapons-mod-pack....I downloaded "elminsters-common-weapons"-pack.........is there a better one?

- I downloaded and installed the intimidator-class pack.....but the names like "enterprise-F" and "uss schwarzchild" are missing on the ships ---------> after returning to the windows screen and activating BCMP the ships suddenly disappear completely and the BCMP keeps telling me some files are missing.....so how come the ships worked a couple of minutes before?

this problems really keep pissing me off....I have installed and deinstalled bridge commander a couple of times so far......there is always a point reached when I have blackscreens and the game doesnt work anymore.

I hope you guys can tell me how to mod the game correctly.

thx alot

regards

d3im0s

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: !!!please give me some advise and help!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 01:17:02 PM »
still I got alot of problems with the mods.....I may sound noobish to you experienced guys but I hope you can help me and answer me some questions.
Not everyone can be experts all at once, so no problems here.

- nano FX-lighning mod seems to be a "must have"....is that right?
It depends on your needs, but both NanoFX and it's successor NanoFXv2Beta (sorry, there is no more advanced version avaidable) are popular mods.

- I want to have a multi-vektor-assault mode (e.g. for prometheus).....found the advanced tech. 1 but it is incompatible to nano FX....my quick battle screen keeps being black while having installied both....is there another one??
MVAM is a seperate mod from ATP (the former is by Sneaker, and the latter by Apollo), and I suggest you get MVAM Infinite, which allows plugins.

As for the compatibility between ATP and NanoFX (any version of ether), look in this thread. It will fix compatibility issues' between the 2 mods:
http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,73.0.html

- I want to have a shuttle launch mod...which one is the best (and of course compatible to the other mods?)
Check out this thread:
http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,28.0.html
Mod #4 is the Shuttle Launching Framework.
And all mods on that list are guaranteed to work together (the topic poster, Nebula, has them all in one install and working).

-which is the best weapons-mod-pack....I downloaded "elminsters-common-weapons"-pack.........is there a better one?
It's just one of the various packs, the reason it's called "common-weapons-pack" is because it's a set of weapons common for a lot of Elminsters HPs. So instead of including all the projectile files, all the sound files, all the texture files required for a ship, he packed them in a single release. So, if he updates on of his projectiles, he only has to release the pack, and not issue fixes for all his ships that use that particular projectile.

Also, not all ships on BCFiles use the Elminster common weapons pack.

- I downloaded and installed the intimidator-class pack.....but the names like "enterprise-F" and "uss schwarzchild" are missing on the ships ---------> after returning to the windows screen and activating BCMP the ships suddenly disappear completely and the BCMP keeps telling me some files are missing.....so how come the ships worked a couple of minutes before?
There is a ship checker in BCMP, and it's seriously flawed (yes Nano, check with me if you disagree with that statement, I'll prove it). So don't use it.
If you go to scripts/Custom/Ships you will see a couple (or lot) of files ending with .disabled. You need to remove that extension and replace it with .py (assuming it doesn't have that on the end, it's been a long time since I used that program).

this problems really keep pissing me off....I have installed and deinstalled bridge commander a couple of times so far......there is always a point reached when I have blackscreens and the game doesnt work anymore.
If you get a black screen, then all is not lost. Check out the stickies (in particular, How to beat the Black screen of Death). If you can't figure out what to do, then follow the instructions on how to get a console report and post the report on this forum (Technical Support forum).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

d3im0s

Re: !!!please give me some advise and help!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 08:59:06 PM »
thanx alot dude.

I had a look at Nebula's list and so far things are working quite good.