Author Topic: T&L or not to T&L  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Cookies: 84
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
T&L or not to T&L
« on: June 29, 2007, 02:42:53 AM »
OK, this ia question really.

In the graphics settings I have two doubled instances for display devices.

The first two are "T&L NVidia GF4MX440" and the second two are "Nvidia GF4MX440". the T&L is selected by default.

With it, the game is graphically a mess. the AA is strange, and some portions of the models disappear to reveal what's behind it (like the phaser strips on the SNS Galaxy for instance, they disappear under certain angles and I can clearly see the hull behind it.

With the second option, these don't appear at all. everything is OK, and is in fact a tiny bit faster.

Now, is there any way to make the non T&L one default, because it can be a drag to switch it every time I start the game, or even make the game not recognize this display device? And could anyone explain why they are both doubled?
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
Re: T&L or not to T&L
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 04:50:25 AM »
a T&L compatable graphics card basically takes processing that was traditionally done by the CPU and gives it to the GPU, every modern graphics card is T+L compatable but as for your card I cant be sure.

Problem is that BC doesnt store your graphic driver settings, so you will have to change it every game. I got Mleo to make a fix for me once but there was a negative side-effect to it that I cant remember now.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 05:37:05 AM »
a T&L compatable graphics card basically takes processing that was traditionally done by the CPU and gives it to the GPU, every modern graphics card is T+L compatable but as for your card I cant be sure.

Problem is that BC doesnt store your graphic driver settings, so you will have to change it every game. I got Mleo to make a fix for me once but there was a negative side-effect to it that I cant remember now.
LJ finished it.
I once started it, but I got snowed under with school, again.
I provided in the end some UMM help.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Cookies: 84
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 11:06:41 AM »
LJ finished it.
I once started it, but I got snowed under with school, again.
I provided in the end some UMM help.

When can we have it?  :D

BTW, one other strange thing:
The AA doesn't seem to transfer to screenshots for me, both the ones made using printscreen (that goes for the ones that I paste in graphic software) nor ones I do in fraps.
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 11:09:51 AM »
Not my perogative (sp).

Mostlikely BC catches (and copies) the frame buffer before any AA and AF is applied to it (which is done after rendering).

And PrintScreen and Fraps do it afterwards.

To clarify:

BC pushes geometry data to the video card.
Video card renders.
BC grabs the output.
Video card pushes to AA and AF.
Video card pushes to screen(buffer).
PrintScreen and Fraps grab it.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 11:41:15 AM »
mleo, i wasnt talking about the jaggie fix... about a year ago i got you to fix up BC so it saved graphics settings, it worked but i think it broke SP or something.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 12:04:02 PM »
mleo, i wasnt talking about the jaggie fix... about a year ago i got you to fix up BC so it saved graphics settings, it worked but i think it broke SP or something.
I'll have to look.
I suppose I still have it.

With Excalibur we can redo the mainmenu remember. ;)

Offline BES

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 10:46:14 AM »
I found that BC seems to run better without crashing with it off:-) , or crashing less...I cant really tell a difference otherwise...

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
Maybe you could try a fresh reinstall of the graphic driver? I've found often times that a complete uninstall and fresh reinstall of g-drives fixes strange problems.