Author Topic: Space Scape Attempt  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Creative Inc

• Cookies: 11
Space Scape Attempt
« on: July 04, 2007, 09:38:23 PM »
Hello,
This is my first attempt at creating a space scape/scene in nothing but Photoshop. All my previous planets have been rendered with textures in 3DS Max and I though, why not try this.

So I present this image as my first attempt with nothing but a few tutorials and a lot of time.

I'm happy with it and what I've learned over the last few days. My new skills will be applied to various things in the future and I will try to post more here as I create them.

Criticism is welcome.

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
Re: Space Scape Attempt
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 10:55:12 PM »
Oh geez, now that's a nice picture.

The clouds kinda look a bit off on the planet to the right...did you say "nothing but Photoshop".  Now that must be an awesome tutorial you found there.

Excellent, 10/10 from me.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 06:02:22 AM »
Yeah that's truly work of art great for some wallpapers combined with some fine models on it, keep'em coming

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 11:31:51 AM »
I'd point out that the lighting is not right (stars on the back, light on the front, or almost in the front.)
outside that, the pic is perfect for a wallpaper.
congrats to whoever wrote that tutorial lol.

RhVaurek

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 02:48:22 PM »
 I love your blue planet, its very nicely done your cityscape planet is good too I did one once but cant remember which tutorial I used, think it was on deviantart or something. Yours looks alot better than mine did anyway. :D

Mind if I post a few creations from Photoshop of mine? Here goes.

My favourite colour is blue so I also did a blue planet while ago, I did have these two in 1024 x 768 resolution but I had to reboot my computer the other day and only have these 800 x 600 ones, I think I got the others on my psp hehe so I'll grab em off it later :D
 Basicaly I wanted to have a nice nebula instead of just plain black starscape, and a ring system which took very little time. The over all time for the blue planet was about 2 hours.

The Star system one was my first attempt and I like it but not as much as the blue planet, I think one of the most important things about making a space scene is getting the sun right (if any) in relation to your shadows and also having a nice atmosphere on your planetary bodies too, which you have managed quite will there Creative Inc.

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 05:54:25 PM »
Go ahead. Hopefully I'll have something more soon.

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 06:53:11 PM »
Another planet.

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
Now that is an awesome looking planet.   :shock: 8)

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 09:49:02 PM »
Same planet. Only this time, with a ship.

RhVaurek

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 04:54:40 AM »
 Very nice indeed! your planets look alot better than mine.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 05:37:10 AM »
LOL thanks for new walpaper  :) This space scapes are really awesome which program You used to make them ?

Offline Creative Inc

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 05:39:56 AM »
LOL thanks for new walpaper  :) This space scapes are really awesome which program You used to make them ?
In the first scene, Everything was done in Photoshop. Stars, planets, everything. For the one with the ship, 3DS Max was used.

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 08:36:42 AM »
The Red planet looks pretty good, my only crit is that perhaps you used too much of the light area at the bevel effects at the surface. perhaps tunning the white level a bit down would make it looks a bit less fake as in beveled.

Pegasus

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 07:41:45 PM »
not too bad at all. but bring the red planet a little more out of focus, especially if your ship is what's meant to be in focus.