Author Topic: Trouble with Nano FX2 blinkers  (Read 2600 times)

archhanny

Trouble with Nano FX2 blinkers
« on: July 19, 2007, 03:43:28 PM »
Hello everyone,
I have recently started to mod my startrek bridge commander game and now like to think of myself as 'capable' when it comes to modding ships, hardpoints etc, but recently i have come accross a problem that i am unable to pass.
After i install Nanofx2 i get all thr cushy effects that come with it such as the blinkers, but after afew plays they just dissappear. Now don't get me wrong i can still play the game i dont get a BSOD and the game doesnt crash or anything, its all superficial. i just like the look of them thats all.
Now if anyone has any ideas please post and try to help me, and when i do a console report all it says is 'attributeerror.blinkerfx'
if i reinstall nanofx then the problem goes.......temporairily......but its just a pain to have to reinstall it and then add all my custom damages again. so if anyone can..........please help

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
Re: Trouble with Nano FX2 blinkers
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 05:25:06 PM »
you'd better post a screenshot of the console output.

once you get the error, open the console, get the error report and type this:

App.g_kSystemWrapper.TakeScreenshot()

keep the capitals where they are.
get the screenshot from the ScreenShots folder and post it here.

archhanny

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 06:12:45 PM »
hope this helps...........
(soz but i dunno how to add images to the post.........................and i had to compress the image cos it sez the file was too big)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 12:16:41 PM »
Make sure you have an __init__.py or pyc file in scripts/Custom/NanoFXv2/SpecialFX/
If there isn't, copy it from scripts/Custom/

Call back if you have any more problems with that same thing.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

archhanny

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 05:34:02 PM »
there were already the  files there. but i did copy those files from the scripts/custom, and still nothing? might it be conflicting mods? Also i have recently renamed some of my qb sub menus in the scripts/custom/ships for the individual ships....that couldn't have affected it could it?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 06:14:11 PM »
there were already the  files there. but i did copy those files from the scripts/custom, and still nothing? might it be conflicting mods?
Ok, do you have a scripts/Custom/NanoFXv2/BlinkerFX.py(c)?

Also i have recently renamed some of my qb sub menus in the scripts/custom/ships for the individual ships....that couldn't have affected it could it?
Not the cause, couldn't be more out of the way. ;)
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

archhanny

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 07:44:14 PM »
didnt think the sub menus cud be the cause if it, i was just thinking of everthing I might've changed recently.
and there is no blinkerfx in the root folder of nanofx2, its in the specialfx. and before you say, ive tried putting them in there in the off chance.... but still to no avail. and as an answer, i do have a blinkerfx file both .py and pyc. ill attach the blinker fx .py file just so anyone can look at it and maybe suggest if a character has been deleted.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 10:34:25 AM »
This ought to be roughly the directory structure:

In scripts/Custom/NanoFXv2/
__init__.py(c)
<<More files>>
SpecialFX (dir)
\_ __init__.py(c)
|_ BlinkerFX.py(c)

Is this the case?

archhanny

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 04:56:46 PM »
I am not quite sure what you meant by the \ _init file, there is an init file...... anyway i have attached a screenshot of the whole folder Nanofxv2, hope this helps.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 07:06:14 AM »
BlinkerFX.py(c) must be in SpecialFX.

Can you also give me a screenshot of the SpecialFX directory?

archhanny

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 10:03:45 AM »
ok, ive put it in the specialfx dir.
here is the screenie of the whole directory

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 10:11:02 AM »
Could you attach scripts/Custom/Autoload/LoadNanoFX.py?

archhanny

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 11:50:26 AM »
You may notice that i have added afew more systems to warp to in this, but the problem occured before i did all that.

archhanny

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 07:45:27 PM »
also sorry to go off topic but im sure someone of your modding skill would be able to answer this in 2 mins.
In the KM 1.0 pack, the away team mod (the marines mod in scripts/custom/qbautostart) it appears in the engineering menu in game, now i believe that something like away team management belongs in the science menu along with the shuttle manager. Now i have managed to move the button into this menu...... but....... (this is gonna sound so wierd) i don't like how far down the menu it is..... (lol) i would prefer it to be near the top. I've looked through the script and can't see any obvious lines to change so i was wondering if you (or anyone else for that matter) knew if there was a fast way to move this button up the list just by changing afew values. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...... and once again i'm very sorry to go off topic.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 06:36:08 AM »
Tried PrependChild?
It's used in the init function...

archhanny

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 01:12:12 PM »
Sorry, but im not that good at modding yet lol. So im not quite sure what you mean by prependchild.
this prependchild thing.... ive seen it in the marines.py is this what you mean? and if it is what do i do with it?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 01:31:03 PM »
You changed one of the lines in Marines.py, Brex to Miguel (or something like that).
That line also had an AddChild, change it to PrependChild (capitalisation matters!) and it should appear higher.

archhanny

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 01:57:07 PM »
you are a genious of the highest order!!! it worked (not that i expected it not to lol) you should be given a medal for your services towards the BC comminity........now if we could just get this nanofx problem solved lol.
also, ive noticed that in the console report it says summat about loading from the file - 000-Fixes20030305-FoundationTriggers.py, cos im sure that nanofx pulls summat out of this, so might that be causing the problem? file attached.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 02:07:32 PM »
I would also very much like the Blinker problem to be solved.
And it's unlikely to be a problem of FoundationTriggers.
The stuff that appears in the console related to FoundationTriggers aren't errors, they are messages from FoundationTriggers to let scripters know what "triggers" are loaded.

archhanny

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 02:09:46 PM »
ok then. I will keep investigating and let you know if I 'trip' over the answer (cos thats the only way i get stuff done on BC)