Author Topic: NANO FX GE!!!  (Read 3793 times)

startrekw_george

NANO FX GE!!!
« on: August 07, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
i just encountered it on filefront today!, IT LOOKS INCREDIBLY AWESOME!!! NANOBYTE YOU ROCK!!!! but the information of it is incredibly vague... what exactly is Nano FX GE?

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
Re: NANO FX GE!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 02:11:20 PM »
well, Nano hasnt been here to BCC (yet) but if you use the search function here, youll find a link to his site...

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 02:21:22 PM »
in a few words, it's Nano's interpretation of how BC should have been.

startrekw_george

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 02:27:32 PM »
k, i found his site. thanks!

this is going to be wicked!!!

bsilver2988

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 02:56:01 PM »
being from the New York area, that last post kinda made me cringe.  who knows why?

Offline Mustang

• Resident Movie Critic
  • Cookies: 46
  • Muse Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 03:17:52 PM »
I thought the "wicked" lines were from MA?

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 03:37:36 PM »
it's said far too much in Rhode Island (my state)...  lol

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 03:49:59 PM »
NanoFX GE stands for: NanoFX Game Engine

It is not meant to be a game per s?. It's the basis of what a game can be. It might be used for a possible successor to Bridge Commander, but can also be used for other scifi genres and game types as well. At least, that's what we hope.

Basically, what Nano is doing is providing the groundwork for which a game can be developed on. The more detailed the engine, as well as what it can handle the better it is for all game developers who decide to use the engine for their games. Sort of a "Unreal Engine" but for sci-fi games if you will.

Now that the latest viewer version has been released, Nano will try and work on getting more graphical features in place in the engine, such as shadows and glows. Not easy balancing: programming, work and a family-life and finding time for everything :)

Fortunately, the past few days we've got another developer (LostJedi) that will be assisting Nano on the programming aspect, as well as a new art director (Sean Kennedy) that will be in charge of all things graphical. Both these names should be fairly known to the BC community :P

Anyways, if any of what i've said sounds interesting, feel free to head on over to our site. We've got a number of ship mods available for use in the viewer that you can download and try out. Latest ships is LC Amarals Intrepid and Defiant classes (currently only available in the KM1.0 mod)

http://www.nanofx.org
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

bsilver2988

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 03:54:15 PM »
that's exactly what i'm saying guys.  "Wicked" is something that's said way too much in the new england area.  When you say it in New York, you're usually slapped by the person standing closest to you.  I go to school in Massachusetts, and they all say it there, and my friends from new york and I always cringe when we hear it.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 04:21:19 PM »
cool stuff.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 04:30:37 PM »
Brilliantly explained DT, i would not say it better.

Now:
just encountered it on filefront today!, IT LOOKS INCREDIBLY AWESOME!!! NANOBYTE YOU ROCK!!!! but the information of it is incredibly vague... what exactly is Nano FX GE?

Please explain me how you think something is incredible, if you have no clue of what it is?
LOL

RhVaurek

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 05:06:25 PM »
 I think its incredible and I know what it is, so here's my excellent vote of gorgeousness for everyone over at http://www.nanofx.org. Looks better than legacy I think and that 2nd shot of the galaxy is veeery drool induceing. :P

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 06:42:55 PM »
Great job with the explanation DT.

Now I so wish the BC was advanced enough to make use of the NanoFX GE engine. And BC really doesn't look too bad at all but next to this.... well, there's no comparison.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 09:02:52 PM »
What's so great about the renders you see on the NanoFX site, is that it's all BC content which has simply been converted for usage in NanoFX GE and supplemented with bump mapping. So everything you've seen is already available, NanoFX GE can just render them as they were meant to be rendered :D
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 05:49:45 AM »
No paralax or normal mapping yet?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 09:00:30 AM »
No paralax or normal mapping yet?

Normal mapping is in already. Not sure about paralax.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

bsilver2988

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 09:24:49 AM »
Damnit!  I just discovered that my Latitude's NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110m 256mb doesnt support pixle shader 2.0.  Guess that's what i get for choosing size over performance.  Its really surprising cause it runs BC like a beast.  It never even occured to me that it wouldnt be good enough.

Offline Shinzon

• Cookies: 9
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 10:03:44 AM »
oo can't wait to try out the LC Defiant and Intrepid in this!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 10:57:37 AM »
Damnit!  I just discovered that my Latitude's NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110m 256mb doesnt support pixle shader 2.0.  Guess that's what i get for choosing size over performance.  Its really surprising cause it runs BC like a beast.  It never even occured to me that it wouldnt be good enough.
The Quadro cards are power beasts. I'm sure you can get away with using NVEmulate.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 12:08:01 PM »
A lot of people is starting to mix up normals and bump mapping.. perhaps we should make a glossary thread.. lol

As for GE, well so far it's only a nice real time render, not a game, or even close to one.
Hopefully Nano can get something useable from it sooner or later.