Author Topic: Game won't load  (Read 2190 times)

TimeLapse

Game won't load
« on: August 14, 2007, 08:05:10 PM »
Hi guys, I hope you can help me out here.

I'm having problems running BC. I install the game and it runs fine. I patch the game and it runs fine. I install Nano FX and it runs fine. The problem comes somewhere in the steps of installing the bridge plugin core, the enterprise a bridge, and a patch for Nano FX.

I try to run the game but all I get is a black screen with the cursor. I don't even see the start up videos. I've tried to run it in test mode and there was no difference. I could not even bring up the console.

Please help.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
Re: Game won't load
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 08:19:39 PM »
did you follow the installation directions of Bridge Pluggin , To The Letter?
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

TimeLapse

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 11:37:16 PM »
The only instructions were to run the .exe and let it do its thing.

After several re-installs I was able to get the game to run with the game patch, Nano FX 2.0, Bridge plugin core, the enterprise a bridge for the plugin and the following pack of tmp connies
(http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/TMP_Pack_Of_Constitutions;80188)

The mods were installed in the order they appear above.

The problem came when I attempted to install this patch to nano fx after all the above mods were in place and functioning
(http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/NanoFX2b_Fixes;48729)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 08:33:10 AM »
Look at the top of the page for the "How to beat the Black Screen of Death" sticky.
And get us a console report.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

TimeLapse

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 09:09:22 AM »
I've tried to start in test mode. The exact same thing happens. I get the black screen with cursor before even the opening videos and when in press "`" the console does not appear.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 09:11:17 AM »
What type of keyboard do you use?
You can also try the * (multiply) key.

And how does the target field of the shortcut look like?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

TimeLapse

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 03:02:48 PM »
I use a regular american keyboard. Came with the computer straight from dell.

My target field is as follows

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Bridge Commander\stbc.exe" -testmode

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 03:10:55 PM »
it should be -TestMode (capital T and M)...

TimeLapse

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 03:20:09 PM »
No difference.

I'm still just getting the black screen with cursor. I've had problems with the black screen before but the other times the game loaded to the main menu and only went bsod after I clicked on quickbattle, never upon just trying to launch the game.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 03:25:17 PM »
after you change testmode to TestMode, youre not able to get a console report by pressing the ` button when you get the bsod?

TimeLapse

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 03:32:11 PM »
The console will not show up...

I'm kind of stumped on this. If it was a mod my thinking would be that the game would not bsod untill after i clicked on the quick battle option and tried to load the quick battle game. However without mods the game does play.

Like I've been saying I don't even get the opening videos. As soon as I click the icon on my desktop I get a black screen like the game is loading and after a minute the cursor appears in the center of the screen and that is it. At this point I must ctrl-alt-del to close the game.

EDIT: after letting the game run for a few minutes on bsod the console has opened but there is abosolutly nothing in it.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 04:04:35 PM »
well, youve got the console window to drop down, so we're halfway there lol...
all you have to do is hit the enter key when you get to the point as shown in your screenshot...
and then wait a short bit (sometimes it takes a few mins for the report to show)

TimeLapse

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 04:12:42 PM »
OK,

This is what I got

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 05:35:51 PM »
It would appear you installed NanoFXv2Fixes without NanoFXv2Beta.

TimeLapse

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 05:43:53 PM »
ok... thats weird

I've un-zipped the file, double clicked on it, bcmi pops up, begins the install process and then asks me if I was to overwright the files. I even went through them one at a time so I know that all the files are there. The location of my bc folder as shown in bcmi is correct so what is going wrong?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 05:46:19 PM »
Which BCMI version are you using?
If you upgraded from BCMI to BCMI.Net, then I think it's a good idea to check anyway.

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 06:02:57 PM »
Also, in either version of BCMI, make sure that it is actually 'pointing' to where your game is installed.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

TimeLapse

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 06:08:47 PM »
I'm using the .net version and the file path is correct

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 06:14:46 PM »
And when you install it you actually see the .Net version interface, right?

Alright, go to scripts/Custom/NanoFXv2 and see if you have an __init__.py file (note the double _ in front and behind the init) and a NanoFX_ScriptActions.py

TimeLapse

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 06:17:29 PM »
I do see the .net version interface

i acctualy don't see that file path...