Author Topic: crashing in QB 2  (Read 1008 times)

nitestalker49

crashing in QB 2
« on: August 20, 2007, 05:13:12 PM »
I decided to make a seperate Topic on this even though there is another "crashing in QB"; because, the original really didnt get very far due to communication issues. Not only that but my situation is different.

Normal play seems to work. When i start game and click on QB it goes to the loading screen and then after a min. or two a bridge view pops up. this view is flashing and such in wierd ways.

I am unable to get Console Report once it gets to this point. i end up having to cntrl/alt/delete until it minimizes the game. i then close the game via task manager.

I am thinking that there should be a selection screen for QB and stuff... it shouldnt even be going to this screen at all.... by the way this is a screen in which i can look around and click on the crew members but their menus dont come up  and they dont say anything. they just look at me.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: crashing in QB 2
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 06:02:25 PM »
This type of error is rather nasty in my experience.
What mod did you install lastly? And can you uninstall it?

Also (please note, it's maybe smarter to fix the above issue first), in your signature you have a list of mod names, I assume you mean those are the mods that you have installed?

In that case, then please replace
MVAM BCMOD formatt (beta) with:
MVAM Infinity
Which is the latest version and adds plugin support for MVAM ships (it comes with the seperating Galaxy and Prometheus, the one which seperates into 3 ships).

Lastly, if you have questions about what to do in the previous thread, feel free to ask.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

nitestalker49

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 06:28:57 PM »
well, i updated some of my mods like you suggested. Still haven't got anywhere with the initial problem. I am totally unsure if it ever worked. i never QB until after several mod installs. although i wonder if it is the cloak mod? because that directly effects QB.

Since, I am a bit of a newbie i am unsure how to uninstall that mod or any mod for that matter. i am currently searching this forum for the answers.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 06:41:26 PM »
Most of the mods that could cause this come with a mutator.

Your initial step should be to deactivate all mutators except for the first 3 and see if QB is normal again.
If it is, activate each mutator one by one checking QB after each one (you will have to quit the mission if you want to activate another mutator when in QB) untill you get the same problem again.

When you find the mod, mention the name here and we'll go from there.
If QB is already faulty when you have just the first 3 mutators active, then activate just the first 2, in this case it's a ship or bridge mod you may have installed (Galaxy mod and/or DBridge mod) that is causing this problem.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

nitestalker49

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 07:07:34 PM »
If QB is already faulty when you have just the first 3 mutators active, then activate just the first 2, in this case it's a ship or bridge mod you may have installed (Galaxy mod and/or DBridge mod) that is causing this problem.

well this seems to be the problem. I was down to the last two and it still does exactly the same thing.
I hate to admit this but...I am totally unsure where to go from here. I am not sure which one of the mods i have listed here as installed that my be causing this...

nitestalker49

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 09:58:27 PM »
I finally gave in and Uninstalled the game.
After doing so, i noticed quite a bit of folders and such in the BC folder....
Thats when i discovered the folder that contains the uninstall links for the mods....
all in all i completely got rid of everything....

I reinstalled the basic essentials and everthing works....so from here i am going to install one thing at a time and go from there.

thanx for everyones help

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 11:02:38 PM »
and always remember:

*make backups* before overwriting, to be safe; and *test each thing* as you go, rather than dump a load all at once and expect it to fly...

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 12:14:52 AM »
Oh my... You didn't have to go through all that trouble.

The Cause: It's caused by a faulty ship script which points to a non existent or misspelled hardpoint.

The Solution: Modify a single line in the default loading ship script to point to the proper hardpoint.

That's it.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 07:53:01 AM »
Oh my... You didn't have to go through all that trouble.

The Cause: It's caused by a faulty ship script which points to a non existent or misspelled hardpoint.

The Solution: Modify a single line in the default loading ship script to point to the proper hardpoint.

That's it.
Interesting to know this, I've had this problem before but I didn't see the link, though, I'm unsure what I did. :P
I'll add this to the FAQ when I find the time, thanks.