Author Topic: 3dmax 9 and niftools .nif export  (Read 1973 times)

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
3dmax 9 and niftools .nif export
« on: October 23, 2007, 09:02:39 AM »
hey all,
just wondering if there has been a fix released or anyone found a way around the
"You have attempted to add a child to a NiNode which already is the child of another node" error when trying to export. found in the .nif plugin 0.2.16 for 3dmax 9 released by niftools
I had a quick look on there forums but could'nt find anything of any use.
this error is really starting to bug me  :x

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
Re: 3dmax 9 and niftools .nif export
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 01:56:18 PM »
contact Tazpn or Shon at the niftools forums.
http:\\niftools.sourceforge.net\forums

I told them about that too, and they're aware of some bugs when you export directly with max 9. if you have nifskope, I'd try to build the skeleton on nifskope by scratch.
export your model to .3ds or .obj from max, and import it into nifskope.

to understand how the hierarchy works, open a ship .nif in nifskope and write down which nodes inherit other nodes. then, add or move nodes until you get the skeleton in your imported .3ds/obj similar to the .nif  you opened.

BTW: it's impossible there is nothing about those errors in the error report forums, third forum block, below the main header. the forum called "3ds max plugin help and bug reports". also, there is a search function there for something, so make use of it.

Offline lint

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 04:12:13 PM »
yeah, i did a search for it but and i checked out a couple threads, but like i said there was'nt much help so i thought i would ask you guys just incase someone around here found a way around it.
and yeah, i have had nif scope for awhile but there is something about it i dont like, haha.
But i guess beggers cant be choosers right?..

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 05:23:16 PM »
yeah, i did a search for it but and i checked out a couple threads, but like i said there was'nt much help so i thought i would ask you guys just incase someone around here found a way around it.
and yeah, i have had nif scope for awhile but there is something about it i dont like, haha.
But i guess beggers cant be choosers right?..
that's because nifskope is NOT an editor. it's a viewer with saving and managing capabilities
you can use it to make small last-minute changes that are not worth opening Max to do them, like changing a texture path.
but it's strange you can't export .nif from Max 9, try playing around with the checkboxes in the exporter. that error sounds familiar to me....
Also, be sure you export to BC's format: 3.0.0.1, the drop-down list in the top.
are you, by coincidence, exporting a character?

Offline lint

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 09:02:19 PM »
yeah, i have been trying different options and different check boxes for the last couple weeks without any success, i have also tried every title in the drop down menu but im still baffled.
Before i did a format on my comp it use to work like a charm but after i re-installed everything it decided not to work anymore, and nope, not trying to export a character.

here is a screen shot anyway..

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 03:12:01 AM »
what I experienced with the Phoenix model is (may be the model itself, tho) that NifTools exports the model with heaps of mesh errors, which in turn forces me to re-do over half of it...*grumbles*

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline lint

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 05:46:20 AM »
i think i may have found the problem, i have a theory it might have something to do with adding textures in the material editor,
[edit]
My theory was flawed :(

Ill explore this possibility as soon as this animation finishes doing its thing.

what I experienced with the Phoenix model is (may be the model itself, tho) that NifTools exports the model with heaps of mesh errors, which in turn forces me to re-do over half of it...*grumbles*
I have exported quite a few .nifs before using niftools before it stopped working and i never actually encounted a mesh error  :?

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 12:58:16 PM »
you should go search on the niftools forums then.
I got that error exporting characters. after talking to Tazpn, I could bypass that error, but I still had to make a tweak on the .nif in nifskope.
experiment a bit with nifskope before trying to export something from max, so you can get used with it and fix problematic nifs.