Author Topic: USS Relativity bridge  (Read 19239 times)

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
Re: USS Relativity bridge WIP
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2007, 12:04:44 PM »
Nighthawk, what would i do to get that wireframe like in the piccy you supplied.- thanks
that depends on what program you use.

Hope you understood that and it was my fault for not explaning my perception on the term viewscreen.
actually, by viewscreen we mean anything like a big LCD screen where you can put anything from a fore camera to a routed computer screen.
what you see in the bridge, besides a big LCARS display, can also be turned to "window" mode and let you see the outside.
to clarify the terms:
window: a bare glass, open to the outside.
viewscreen: a computer display, display-based only.
LCARS: a console, with touch sensors. aka, touchscreen. in case you lost the point, a console like those in TOS. buttons, switches and lights, but in digital form. think of it as a, say, a microwave grill panel. flat, kinda digital, but it's based on buttons that you can't see. in the end, it's not a "screen", but a "keyboard"

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2007, 12:09:16 PM »
I think it was me that was lax on the explaining :P! I was trying to say that the giant LCARS wouldn't count as a veiwscreen. It would just be an animated texture, so that window can count as the veiwscreen. Like MLeo said, it is possible to lock it looking one way. So there is only the one veiwscreen as far as the game engine can see, the window. Does that make the slightest shread to sense to anyone? Though I may what the hell I'm talking about, my ability to put it into words is painfully poor!

remember "deja q" when Worf projects the fixed moon's orbit on the viewscreen itself?
or in "the die is cast" when the cardassian request the tactical map on screen?

Thats cos in the trek world, the veiwscreen is a giant computer screen. You can look in any direction, zoom in, project things up etc.

ya - that was my other thought...  and of course, in First Contact the viewscreen was like a "wall" when they arrived at the Borg battle...

I assume thats cos they just turned the thing off!
MUSE!!!

Offline Excal_Luke

• Cookies: 31
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2007, 12:55:49 PM »
Im using max 9.

:argh: nighthawk, stop confusing me !!?!

anywho, while we are on the subject, would you prefer
1) The main viewscreen to be an animated LCAR Viewscreen/ Display, whatever you wanna call it. OR
2) The main viewscreen to be like the other bridges - so you can see forward/ see your target etc...

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2007, 01:22:21 PM »
Im using max 9.

:argh: nighthawk, stop confusing me !!?!
:P
good thing I did that to clarify lol

anywho, while we are on the subject, would you prefer
1) The main viewscreen to be an animated LCAR Viewscreen/ Display, whatever you wanna call it. OR
2) The main viewscreen to be like the other bridges - so you can see forward/ see your target etc...
is should have been better if you put it as:
1- as the canon bridge's LCARS screen
2- as any other bridge screen

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2007, 01:28:12 PM »
while i do enjoy firing and maneuvering while in bridge-mode, i do admit i think the first choice is best...

Offline Excal_Luke

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2007, 02:08:34 PM »
 :roll:

I think that having an animated display would be more cannon, but playability-wise its not that good. But then again the player could just press 'space' and see the action that way.

I also think that having an animated lcar would be better so what would be the ''viewscreen'' could be put just outside where that window is, and then locked to look left allways...

might make a poll, with Nighthawks help on how to word it, of course. ;)

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2007, 02:18:28 PM »
might make a poll, with Nighthawks help on how to word it, of course. ;)
*'sucker' banner over my head*
-.-

now, seriously. with a bit of scripting, and maybe BP modules, there might be possible to trigger a camera change when you press the "on screen" button, or any of the directional screens buttons (home, end, pg up, pg down, etc), thus changing the LCARS to viewscreen at will.
a 3rd Era member can explain it better lol.

Offline Excal_Luke

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2007, 02:43:09 PM »
I was also thinking about something like this:
Your average viewscreen in the middle, where its black, and around the edges have it textured and animated.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2007, 02:49:19 PM »
You could even put an object really close to it with transparent properties and have it change textures for several events. If you texture it in the form of the Wells class viewscreen, then you can create something that looks similar. And you can change the textures on the fly through BPCore. It might not even need to be a seperate object, but someone with more bridge creation knowledge will have to answer that.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2007, 06:47:33 PM »
transparency in BC can be a bit tetchy, and getting bpcore set up perfectly can also take a while. My advice to you would be to keep things simple for this first version; after all you can always go back and modify the model later if you feel brave :)

Offline Shion

• Cookies: 4
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2007, 08:17:27 PM »
At the very least couldnt you make it a standered viewscreen and then use the "Lcars-like" display as the bridge loading image, so you can see it while loading?

Offline newman

• Cookies: 33
  • Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2007, 05:04:03 AM »
At the very least couldnt you make it a standered viewscreen and then use the "Lcars-like" display as the bridge loading image, so you can see it while loading?

That's not a bad idea..

Offline Excal_Luke

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2007, 07:00:16 AM »
Its a good idea - and like Mark said, i could allways make a v2

Offline Excal_Luke

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2007, 01:29:30 PM »
Ive been at the textures all day today, and heres the outcome, ive tried to make them as cannon as posible, but the reference pics all have either capt braxton or the other guy in the way, blocking me from seing the full TCAR, but this is what ive created, enjoy
critisism welcome.

Offline Sean

• Retired Administrator
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1165
  • Site Co-Founder
    • Bridge Commander Central
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2007, 05:35:03 PM »
looking good so far, but may i recommend that whilst im sure you eager to move on with this, you consider doing a unique pannel for each console to avoid the repetition like we has on the stock galaxy bridge

Offline Excal_Luke

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2007, 06:40:35 PM »
yea, ill get to it eventually.

Offline cpthooker

• Cookies: 37
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2007, 02:38:53 AM »
nice texture work on the TCARS (i think thats right)

'As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy, than to create.'
Capt Spock - The Wrath of Khan

PC Spec
Athlon X2 Skt AM2 6000+, 4GB DDR2 800 Ram
XFX Geforce 8800 ultra, Vista Ultimate 64bit

Cpt.Draven

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2007, 07:42:12 AM »
 :lol: Intercepter I got to had it to you. You got MAD skillzz. Looking awsome. Now hurry up and finish it :P

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2007, 08:12:49 AM »
This is the bridge that I always hated. Mainly because of the whole haphazard shape of it and that fact that it had a transpoter on it in a random place for time travel really bugged me. You'd think that a ship from the future would have a more symetrical bridge.

But dont take this as an offence, as I am liking the quality of work that has gone into this project and will definatly download it when its finished.

You've gotta admit though, that who ever designed this bridge for the Voyager episode, failed to put effort into it.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Rob Archer

• Cookies: 545
  • New Frontier MKVI
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2007, 08:40:56 AM »
This is the bridge that I always hated. Mainly because of the whole haphazard shape of it and that fact that it had a transporter on it in a random place for time travel really bugged me. You'd think that a ship from the future would have a more symmetrical bridge.

But don't take this as an offense, as I am liking the quality of work that has gone into this project and will defiantly download it when its finished.

You've gotta admit though, that who ever designed this bridge for the Voyager episode, failed to put effort into it.

To be honest i don't think its a bridge, More of a Temporal Operations, Or some sort of advanced transporter room and Engineering merged into one.