Author Topic: CGI LCVoyager and all her shuttles  (Read 13667 times)

Offline Dawg81

• Cookies: 29
  • I am Dawg; Resistence is futile
Re: LC Intrepid CGI show retexture
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2007, 03:28:44 PM »
i must say this is a nice retexture

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2007, 05:11:28 AM »
Hmm, this has been an interesting read - everyone is entitled to their opinion but if I see things get so heated again I will delete the entire thread and ask JB06 to make a new thread if he wishes.

Now as far as my opinion goes, I think you need to do a few things to make this a worthwhile download JB:

• Remove some of the decals that LC and I put on, since the CGI model doesnt include alot of decals
  • Ask LC for permission, and edit the phaser strips into the CGI position using a model editor
  • Come up with something more spectacular for your speculars, at the moment they look almost pure white all over.
  • Be careful when throwing around the words "Brand New Textures" in the same sentence, as you have seen it has the tendancy of annoying the person who spent 2 years on the original textures you are working from.

Offline M@DM@X

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2007, 05:43:20 AM »
is the captains ship supposed to be sticking out like that???
besides that great work on the retexture, but i have to say i prefair LC's best

Offline Jb06

• Cookies: 968
  • JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2007, 11:02:58 AM »
Hmm, this has been an interesting read - everyone is entitled to their opinion but if I see things get so heated again I will delete the entire thread and ask JB06 to make a new thread if he wishes.

Now as far as my opinion goes, I think you need to do a few things to make this a worthwhile download JB:

• Remove some of the decals that LC and I put on, since the CGI model doesnt include alot of decals
  • Ask LC for permission, and edit the phaser strips into the CGI position using a model editor
  • Come up with something more spectacular for your speculars, at the moment they look almost pure white all over.
  • Be careful when throwing around the words "Brand New Textures" in the same sentence, as you have seen it has the tendancy of annoying the person who spent 2 years on the original textures you are working from.

2 out of the 3 improves which you suggested were already underway, i just havent updated this thread yet. the next time i was going to update was after the improvements have been implemented. The speculars are still not finished, they were just put on straight after i completed the textures, though im still finding places i still need to improve on.

Well the only thing thats not brand new in the textures are the deflector, and the sensor platforms. everything else has been started from scratch, so if that's not brand new, i dont no what is.

is the captains ship supposed to be sticking out like that???
besides that great work on the retexture, but i have to say i prefair LC's best

Well it does stick out... look at the screencap below, may be i've just done it too much. Like i've said to people, what ever takes your fancy.

~Jb06

JLS

Offline M@DM@X

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2007, 11:19:04 AM »
well, from what i can see in that referance pic, its more like a sceam; much like you would get on a car where the body parts connect

Like i've said to people, what ever takes your fancy

not really me taking a fancy but trying to offer a point of view on something that you might or might not have got wrong. if your trying to make the textures as canon to the cgi version of an intrepid, then you should'nt be so snappy over a small little crit.

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2007, 11:22:41 AM »
if your trying to make the textures as canon to the cgi version of an intrepid, then you should'nt be so snappy over a small little crit.

And we appreciate all input, but how was that snappy?
MUSE!!!

Offline M@DM@X

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2007, 11:36:09 AM »
Like i've said to people, what ever takes your fancy

it is this bit i find a little on the snippy side. it isnt really a line that was needed to be added in his reply to me.
might just be ive taken it out of context, might be i am reading it in the correct context. when you cant hear a persons voice its hard to tell.
either way, its still good work. its alot better than i could manage texture wise.

Offline Jb06

• JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2007, 11:51:07 AM »
indeed, i don't no how you taken that as snappy, if you want snappy go back a page :P. i said whatever takes your fancy to prefairing LC's textures.

I've also been looking at the specs and i've found that the cgi version has white specs. here look

~Jb06

JLS

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2007, 02:19:17 PM »
yeah, I would have to agree that the aeroshuttle is flush with the hull, at least on the physical model.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2007, 03:06:53 PM »
Well the only thing thats not brand new in the textures are the deflector, and the sensor platforms. everything else has been started from scratch, so if that's not brand new, i dont no what is.

Really?  I was under the impression that the bulk of the texturing was a modification of LC's original work.  Is that not the case?

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2007, 03:25:20 PM »
certainly looks like it to me.

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2007, 03:59:44 PM »
agreed with aces_high. in the studio model, it's nearly fused with the saucer (it can be painting job, tho)
in the CGI model, it's more exagerated

Offline M@DM@X

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2007, 04:09:49 PM »
so what program are you using to apply the new textures to the mesh???

Offline Jb06

• JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2007, 04:16:05 PM »

Really?  I was under the impression that the bulk of the texturing was a modification of LC's original work.  Is that not the case?

certainly looks like it to me.

Thanks guys, i work my but off making brand new textures with each psd's 100mb+, i've spent a week making brand new textures, I don't like to rip all the work. The only reason i didnt make new deflectors and sensor platform is because there pretty similar. There's nothing that looks anything like lc's stuff besides from the stuff i've mentioned.

agreed with aces_high. in the studio model, it's nearly fused with the saucer (it can be painting job, tho)
in the CGI model, it's more exagerated

Well im adjusting the aero shuttle along with afew other things myself and limey noticed.

so what program are you using to apply the new textures to the mesh???

If you mean which design program... photoshop cs3.

~Jb06

Offline M@DM@X

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2007, 04:29:21 PM »
no, i actully ment what 3d modeling program are you using to line up the new textures using the uv map co-ordinates. which i assume you would need to do with fresh clean brand new textures?

Offline Jb06

• JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2007, 04:38:46 PM »
Just because there brand new textures, doesnt mean i have to remap the intrepid. Putting lc's at 25% then making an outline on a new layer where the necessary things go and then deleting lc's texutres, still means they're brand new. We might have to remap some places, if lc gives me permission to alter the model to the cgi version. I'm now at the point that I'm sick to death of having to justify stuff to people. I'll update this thread when i've done. Unless you've got something to say about how they look, i suggest it stops, if you give suggestions like lc, aces, mark and nighthawk thats fine. Like mark said he will delete the thread if anything kicks off again.

Sorry if you think im being a toser, but this thread has gone down hill since my very first post.

~Jb06

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2007, 04:48:48 PM »
Yes, seems like they exagerated on bump mapping the aeroshuttle.. ugh.. bump mapping.

As for the brand new or not, there's not quite way to say if they are or aren't without looking at jb`s textures, so, i take his word on it, and that should be enough for everyone.

As for the model changes, i see no reason for not letting you do it, in fact i`m looking forward to see what you'll come up with.

Offline M@DM@X

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2007, 04:54:49 PM »
i was mearly asking a question, as you know LC im not a texturer and was just wondering how he applied the new textures. thats all i wanted to know, no justification needed by him. for future referance i will keep my comments out of jls members modding threads.

Offline Jb06

• JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2007, 05:05:12 PM »
Anyway look at the following screenies... I think there brand new. All the details from the hull lines are different... Note look at the length of the scroll.... me thinks they're new blaxxer and DJ.

~Jb06

JLS

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2007, 05:08:03 PM »

You will never understand what it is to make something "from scratch" until you map and texture a model from absolutly no textures at all. Until then we are all just standing on the shoulders of giants like LC, SNS, CG, Queball, RD etc. It pays us all to remember that, thats all I was saying.

As for your textures, spec.jpg was a nice image but I would definately say (based on that comparison) that you need to either completly remove or reduce the bevel on those escape pods, also if you compare the cgi secondary deflector to the one you currently have you will see you have decals which werent moved to the CGI model, I would probably guess the same goes for the front of the engineering hull above the deflector since I remember havign to add extra decals which werent on the CGI.

Finally if you look at the CGI there are some plating patterns visible on the base colour... that could give you an opening to give the speculars a slight tint of plating.