Author Topic: TREK XI - Images, Footage, Trailers, Enterprise, Discussion, etc. Thread (WARNING: SPOILERS)  (Read 100618 times)

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
the problem is, if this movie flops at the box office, paramount wont click and go, "hey, we need to move forward with trek", they will go, "wow, one of the best producers/directors could'nt revive trek, nothing will",
And i think they will just give up on the franchise,

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
And thats a bad thing? There seems to be an attitude amongst the fans that "crap trek is better then no trek".. im sorry but Id rather have nothing then have them raping the franchise for all its worth.

Frankly the fan made stuff in the last few years has been better then what has come out of paramount, CBS and bethesda... if they want to leave trek alone then thats fine by me.

intrepid90

hard words but kind of true

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
it wouldnt bother me either, plus if we get desperate we still have things like of gods and men

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
it wouldnt bother me either, plus if we get desperate we still have things like of gods and men massive fanwank

fixed.  :arms:

but a rather decent massive fanwank, I might add ;)

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)

'Tis better.

:arms:
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Armondikov

• Cookies: 21
Which is not necessarily a bad thing. "TOS" is suppose to take place roughly 250 years from now. You honestly think we'll have 60s-era television sets as computer monitors, and cube-shaped colorful buttons to press? Look at how we have it today, and imagine a future 250 years from now, technology-wise. What would YOU want to see at that time? Externally they don't have to change much, if any... perhaps simply adding more details like windows, or aztecing. Details they were unable to produce during the 60s but likely should've been visible.

I've always said that the appearance of the original series shouldn't be considered canon as it was highly limited by the technology of the day (and by that, I mean the 60s, not the 2220s... or whatever. I've just had my fill of people being picky for today and I need a rest  :P). It's perfectly reasonable to reimagine the aesthetics (which are hardly a major point) when you have better technology to realise them on screen. In the toss up between awesome movie with an Enterprise completely designed, and a shit movie with the Enterprise looking exactly the same down to the last lightbulb screwed into a chipboard desk, I know what I'd be picking. :king
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

intrepid90

hmm lint, that sounds interesting.
but was enterprise built on earth???

Offline Erk

• never forget the name... Enterprise
  • Cookies: 5
  • Enterprise: boldness or readiness in undertaking
what i dont get is, if they are remastering the TOS trek, which is basically bringing the original up to modern day standards, why make a TOS movie that contradicts all that is being done with the remastered? i personally love the new TOS episodes, Its like finally being able to see the Enterprise clearly and i must say, she is a BEAUTIFUL ship. now there Star Trek XI that kinda shadows over all the work theyve done to revive the original. i dunno. maybe its just me. right now this movie looks like a mess. but who knows, maybe a new concept on things would be nice.

Offline Armondikov

• Cookies: 21
They're separate projects. They can remaster the original, but that's just bringing the image quality up to todays standards, not bringing the graphical effects up to todays standards. The shots of the ship are sharp, but they're still exactly the same designs. The movie is more like reimagining, along the lines off BSG but I don't think it's as extreme (though like BSG, I think they should have waited a few more years).
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline Sean

• Retired Administrator
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1165
  • Site Co-Founder
    • Bridge Commander Central
i dont know why people are complaining so much about this re-invisioned trek. to be quite fair, i cant stand TOS, Wasnt til i saw TWOK that i actually cared about any of those characters. What the show needs is a complete revival. If that means they create a whole new trek universe, so be it as long as its good. Trek has always shown the possibility of new/parallel universes so why do people always assume just because its not the 60's trek show, but it uses the same characters that it will be bad?

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
i dont know why people are complaining so much about this re-invisioned trek. to be quite fair, i cant stand TOS, Wasnt til i saw TWOK that i actually cared about any of those characters. What the show needs is a complete revival. If that means they create a whole new trek universe, so be it as long as its good. Trek has always shown the possibility of new/parallel universes so why do people always assume just because its not the 60's trek show, but it uses the same characters that it will be bad?

Here here. They've had a number of mirror universes in various tv shows. What is to say that the "universe" they create with a re-invisioned TOS-era is any more or less normal than our universe? Using various theories that we've been exposed to over the years, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of alternate universes each co-existing with our own. In many cases the alternate universes are virtually identical. Some however are more "evil" than others such as the one seen in Mirror Mirror/In A Mirror Darkly. Although technically there's no such thing as an evil mirror universe. Our choices and decisions shape what will follow.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Cookies: 190
  • Captain - USS Explorer
    • Captain Elgy's Star Trek Files
I really enjoyed the TNG episode "Parallels" where other universes merged into one. I think it would be a great to explore the idea of an alternate universe, especially a show with a BSG themed storyline where the borg have defeated the federation and the survivors go looking for a new home.

I think trek could also do with a bit more realism in the storylines like BSG, in anycase there are pleny of ideas still to explore in the star trek universe.
:)

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
This just in. First official image of the new Enterprise in Star Trek XI. I don't care what the purists think, this new Enterprise looks awesome from the tiny tidbit of information we know so far.

Source: TrekMovie.com
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
hmmm... ok it looks good, i'll give it that...
still hate the whole prequil thing tho...

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
hmmm... the bussards (or the whole nacelle) look out of scale.
might be the angle, tho.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
Scale of the nacelles looks ok from this image:
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Weasel

I'm wondering if they are going to use that "Enterprise 1701 re-imagined", design? The textures look dark and little glossy, like the renders of that new Ent design.

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
yes, if they arent using that they have stolen alot of ideas from it.