Author Topic: StarGate + Series Topic Discussion - May Contain Spoilers  (Read 53965 times)

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
RE: StarGate + Series Topic Discussion - May Contain Spoilers
« Reply #700 on: May 12, 2011, 07:58:32 PM »
I firmly believe, that SGU would've fared better if it had been paired up alongside SGA, rather than cancelling SGA in the first place. SGA benefitted for several years, by having SG-1 as it's lead-in show. SGU never had that opportunity. Furthermore, the SGU pilot had lower ratings/viewers, than the average ratings/viewers of SGA's last season. That if anything should've been some kind of indicator to the execs.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Trim

• BCN/BCU Veteran
  • Cookies: 74
  • Moderator of redundancy Moderator
« Reply #701 on: September 11, 2011, 08:01:49 AM »
Well I was bored the other day so I took a chance and decided to check out SGU on Netflix and I must say that I am really impressed.  I just finished the 1st season and am about 4 episodes into season 2, really a good show IMO, not sure why it was cancelled.  I've never watched Stargate Atlantis either, is it as good or better than SGU?

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #702 on: September 11, 2011, 08:12:52 AM »
Well I was bored the other day so I took a chance and decided to check out SGU on Netflix and I must say that I am really impressed.  I just finished the 1st season and am about 4 episodes into season 2, really a good show IMO, not sure why it was cancelled.  I've never watched Stargate Atlantis either, is it as good or better than SGU?

Atlantis is more comparable to SG1 than SGU is. SG1 and SGA were both excellent, but they had their bad points aswell. SGU is a whole other flavor, and one which I think the franchise really needed. The problem is, that when the "SGA Only" fanboys got word about the cancellation of SGA, they instantly set upon not supporting SGU, and making other "SG1 Only" and "SGA Only" fans do the same, which really hurt the SGU ratings.

True fans, like me, would have enjoyed the franchise as a whole. The "SGA Only" fans were just being petty. Didn't help that advertising for SGU was done incredibly poorly aswell thanks to Syfy.

Syfy also wouldn't leave the scheduling alone, shifting it around so much because of wrestling (again, why the f*ck is that sh*t on Syfy?), which really hurt the franchise as a whole. The stargate franchise found it's place on Friday nights, and it fit perfectly. If anyone is to blame for the downfall of stargate, it's Syfy!  :mad:
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #703 on: September 11, 2011, 08:49:12 AM »
Well I was bored the other day so I took a chance and decided to check out SGU on Netflix and I must say that I am really impressed.  I just finished the 1st season and am about 4 episodes into season 2, really a good show IMO, not sure why it was cancelled.  I've never watched Stargate Atlantis either, is it as good or better than SGU?

IMO SGA was the best Stargate series. At least once you get beyound the first (and a half or so) Season. SGA got constantly better, unlike SG1, were the last Season seemed to me like they were forcing to much.
On the other hand I am one of those who absolutely dislike SGU, so maybe you won't like SGA.

Offline CDR_Daxian

• Captain_Daxian
  • Cookies: 3
  • On a Mac and still playing Bridge Commander.
    • Captain_Daxian Mods
« Reply #704 on: September 12, 2011, 12:31:09 AM »
IMO SGA was the best Stargate series. At least once you get beyound the first (and a half or so) Season. SGA got constantly better, unlike SG1, were the last Season seemed to me like they were forcing to much.
On the other hand I am one of those who absolutely dislike SGU, so maybe you won't like SGA.

I like SGA, and i Also like SGU. No offense to anyone, but i think SGU should've gone on longer (at least one season more), maybe coincide with some more characters (Sheppard, Carter, Mitchell, etc). i would've liked to see a solution for a supply line at the (near) end of the implied season here and maybe a solution of Rush's discovery. i'm surprised it got cancelled, cause i really liked how it had ancient technology, but was older tech, not to mention the completely new characters, and using the communication stones more often.

SGA did get constantly better, and i'm more surprised that it got cancelled than SGU. they should've done a sixth season where they returned to the Pegasus galaxy, and went into an all out battle with all the remaining enemy wraith. (because of complications with Todd and his crew)

another thing they should've included in any one of the previously mentioned seasons of SGA/SGU would be the X-305/BC-305, a new warship designed to be tougher on the Lucian Alliance/Wraith.

Unfortunately, that never happened. there is however an animated third season of SGU going on.

No kidding about the SGA/SGU only fans, i think that's why Universe got cancelled.
Captain_Daxian
BC Amateur Modder and mass consumer of Coca-Cola

All my mods are destroyed... Time to make new ones!

My Website

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #705 on: September 12, 2011, 06:42:17 AM »
another thing they should've included in any one of the previously mentioned seasons of SGA/SGU would be the X-305/BC-305, a new warship designed to be tougher on the Lucian Alliance/Wraith.

That wasn't ever going to be introduced in the franchise because it's not an official design! It's a fan made ship! You are the second person that I've had to explain this to!

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #706 on: September 12, 2011, 01:29:04 PM »
That wasn't ever going to be introduced in the franchise because it's not an official design! It's a fan made ship! You are the second person that I've had to explain this to!

Who says that "the fan made BC-305/X-305 is the ONLY X-305, or for that matter the unofficial one? Surely whoever designed the canon/official 301, 302, 303 and 304 could've designed a canon 305 as well.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Trim

• BCN/BCU Veteran
« Reply #707 on: September 12, 2011, 06:17:44 PM »
SGU kind of has a BSG meets Voyager feel to it.  I like.   :D

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #708 on: September 12, 2011, 09:33:44 PM »
Surely whoever designed the canon/official 301, 302, 303 and 304 could've designed a canon 305 as well.

Yes, they could have. But they didn't. And they had never announced anywhere that they were going to. My reply, was in response to what someone believed to be an official ship design and designation, which they were wrong about.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #709 on: September 13, 2011, 04:07:38 AM »
SGU kind of has a BSG meets Voyager feel to it.  I like.   :D
Indeed, I can't understand why they had to drop the series when it became really good + cliffhanger at the end of season 2, but there is still hope I guess ;) IIRC Seaquest was cancelled after season 2 and then it was picked up after few years tho most of original cast felt like WTF! after season 2 so they quit... maybe SGU will get restarted some day :D

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #710 on: September 13, 2011, 09:17:58 AM »
Indeed, I can't understand why they had to drop the series when it became really good + cliffhanger at the end of season 2,

Ratings, its all about ratings.

Apparently SGU did really well in Canada, better then US By %. But we have a smaller Population.

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #711 on: September 13, 2011, 10:43:49 AM »
SGU was doomed as soon as SGA was canceled, which was the worst thing to do in the first place. Finally, when we had familiarized ourselves with the new (sexy) team and galaxy and accepted it as successor of SG1, what do they do? A clumsy, badly done end to it to make room for wannabe BSG..
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #712 on: September 13, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »
Well I've gone through season 1 of SGA (it was on AXN Sci-fi recently I think) and got to say I was really unimpressed ... dunno, it felt somehow cheap compared to SGU... I would really have to watch more episodes to say more about SGA.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #713 on: September 13, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »
Well I've gone through season 1 of SGA (it was on AXN Sci-fi recently I think) and got to say I was really unimpressed ... dunno, it felt somehow cheap compared to SGU... I would really have to watch more episodes to say more about SGA.

Well for one thing, compare season 1 of SGA and season 2 of SGU. Both started under the premise that they would be at a distant location and cut off from Earth. In SGA's case, they were completely cut off from communicating with Earth. In SGU, they regularly contacted people back on Earth using the communication stones. The excessive use of the stones in SGU, is one aspect which really pissed me off about the show. Despite the fact that the ship was millions of lightyears away (further away than Atlantis), they were able to stay in regular contact with Earth, and even "send" personnel to Earth whenever they felt like it. That made the whole distance-aspect of the show, moot.

TL;DR ... After having seen all of SG-1, SGA and SGU, I prefer SG-1 and SGA. I highly recommend you watch the full SGA series.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #714 on: September 13, 2011, 06:36:11 PM »
Yeah that was a bit far fetched ... I will watch more SGA as soon as I get the chance, always liked the kind of stranded feel to the movies/series ;)

Offline Trim

• BCN/BCU Veteran
« Reply #715 on: September 13, 2011, 08:31:44 PM »
Well, I've got one final episode of SGU to watch which kinda sucks.  Think I'll save it for tomorrow.  Guess I shall start watching SGA after that, hopefully it will satisfy my scifi craving.

Offline Trim

• BCN/BCU Veteran
« Reply #716 on: September 15, 2011, 06:35:59 PM »
That was certainly a nice way to end the entire show, now I can see why everyone was so pissed off when syfy said they weren't going to renew it for a 3rd season.  Shit on a stick.  :lostit:

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #717 on: September 15, 2011, 07:40:48 PM »
But, taken as a finale, and not a cliffhanger, didn't it rock?  :yay:

I'd love to see a show write an intentional finale that was that brave.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #718 on: September 16, 2011, 06:12:29 PM »
At least it was better than the Torchwood: Miracle Day finale! :D

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #719 on: September 16, 2011, 07:22:15 PM »
kinda sad, poor Eli, at least he ended up as someone more than he would become on earth (I guess that was the point of those episodes on earth)