Author Topic: Bridges  (Read 2908 times)

Keyes

Bridges
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:30:48 PM »
Ok, i'm not sure if anyone has already aske this question but... what programs do youu guys use to create the bridges and, is there anyway to edit the files of bridge mods that have already been done?  I would like to edit more detail into some of them, just little things.

Offline FekLeyr Targ

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 537
Re: Bridges
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 03:38:48 AM »
I think this should answer your questions:
http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,15.0.html
TaH pagh, Tah be.

Offline newman

• Cookies: 33
  • Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 04:58:28 AM »
Modifying bridges is a very complex process, one that cannot be done by using a simple app downloaded from the net in 5 minutes.
Once the bridges are in game, modifying them means doing modifications on the source material, which the authors don't release, and
then porting it all back in game.
It includes knowing how to use 3d apps (max), adobe photoshop for textures, and knowing how to port it in game, which includes knowledge of scripting for BC. This is a process only a handful of people were able to do so far, and even then rarely was one person able to do everything, as I understood it.
Even if you 'just' want to modify the textures, since they were lightmapped, you'd be in for a rough ride doing anything but minor adjustments. If you're interested in bridge modding, I suggest trying to learn to model in 3d, uvw map and texture...
as for the scripting part, you could either try to learn that yourself, or get help from someone, but first, you need to know how to actually make the bridge model and textures before you can do anything with them.

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 05:10:16 AM »
Newman is right,
But unfortunatly there is only a handful of people that can do it is because when people find out how much work and study is involved in doing it they give up straight away.
It kinda sucks people arnt more motivated or determined to learn a new skill,
you get a nice little feeling of self satisfaction when you create your first little model, it takes time but its worth it :)

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 07:45:32 AM »
You're correct, lint, but it's understandable why there aren't more bridge modders; what you need to be good at it 3d modelling, texturing and uvw mapping, sometimes rigging, and you need to be good at scripting and know how to script for bridge commander. People who are good enough in all those categories are very rare; someone who's a good modeller often knows next to nothing about scripting, etc.. that's why the best way of getting bridges into bc is working in teams of individuals each good in their own fields. There are no "quick fixes" here..

Offline lint

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 09:29:34 AM »
i think im pretty decent at texturing and modelling,
But i would love to learn scripting, or atleast the basics so i could get a general understanding and work my way up from there with trial and error, same way i did with texturing and modelling,  :lol:

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 02:21:18 PM »

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline Excal_Luke

• Cookies: 31
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 03:56:02 PM »
Even though, Keyes, if your interested in modding bridges, then we'll help you out whenever we can. :)

Anyway, to answer your question: I think some minor bridge changes can be made. ie: the Sovereign bridge that came with the game was edited by adding a new layer of mesh over the old, poorly moddled stuff, so i suppose if you really wanted to edit some bridges, then it could be done. Bear in mind that i know nothing about how it was done, so im not sure of the time it would take, or the programs needed.

Out of curiosity, what bridge(s) would you be editing?

Keyes

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 01:32:38 AM »
well fist off, thanks for all the replies and info.  I wanted to work more on retexturing the voyager nothing big, i just want to mess around at first.  I liked how hings such as the console next to the chair coming up when you go to red or yellow alert.  I don't have much time on my hands but I do like to mess with that kind of stuff in my spare time.  I would like to mess around with it and teach myself how to do it.  but i will look at any tutorials that i can find to speed up the process.

Offline Jb06

• Cookies: 968
  • JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 03:15:46 AM »
well if your planning on retexturing the inrepid bridge, you dont have to alter the model... just the textures which is pretty easy. I've already replaced textures on my int bridge, and it is dead easy.

~Jb06

JLS

Keyes

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 03:34:45 AM »
Yea i figured out how to retexture it. thanks for all your help with that.  now i need to figure out how i can script in different textures for yellow and red alert.  they did it somehow with the center console but i don't really know where to start with the scripting. I use to do BASIC progaming i'm sure i could figure out how to do it if i knew what program you guys use for scripting.

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 08:45:42 AM »
Well, if you find the textures already used on the said bridge for yellow and red alerts, and replace them with yours, that would probably produce the desired effect..

Offline Jb06

• Cookies: 968
  • JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 09:01:16 AM »
He's talking about texture swapping which can be done thanks to BP core gold. Its pretty simple, though i suggest you ask bsilver2988 as he seems to have got the knack for this kind of thing.

~Jb06

JLS

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 11:49:33 AM »
It depends if you are wanting to create or edit a bridge, creating a bridge requires:

• 3DS Max 3.1
  • Photoshop

Editing a bridge, again, depends on whether you want to edit textures or the model - if you want to edit textures then you can do that easily and without much trouble using Photoshop. Editing the model however takes some tricky model work, and frankly you shouldnt be editing models without permission of the author anyway so Im not going to explain how you can import a nif.

Keyes

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 01:54:40 PM »
I'm not trying to steel anyones mods, i'm just trying to learn how to mod the bridges.  I learn best from trial and error.  I want to figure out how to change textures when you go from yellow alert to red alert and so on.  I'm sure some scripting is involved and I'm trying to figure out how you modifiy scripts, but i can't find a program to edit them with.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 02:06:18 PM »
have in mind that bridges include character animation, scripting and lighting work in addition to modelling and mapping.
if you're just modding someone else's work by retexturing, then learning photoshop should be enough. maybe a basic Max notion for mapping and such.

if you're ever going to make your own bridge, consider lurking into animation and lighting. if you know you're not going to understand it, then try to learn the basics so you can tell someone else what you want to get.
personally, I've entered a bit of bridge modding myself, and it's not that hard if you do want to learn it

Keyes

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 09:53:47 PM »
Ok well i figure i'll mess around and learn how to do this stuff. If i wanted to make a brisge what would the steps be.  I figure i'll work through the steps slowly until i get the hang of it.

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 10:11:17 PM »
Step 1: Get a 3D modelling program (3D Studio Max or Milkshape 3D are my recommendations), a texturing program (Photoshop is probably best).
Step 2: Accumulate a shed load of reference material!
Step 3: Model the bridge.
Step 4: Mesh optimization. Get any and all unseen polys out! The goal for the poly count should be somewhere in the region of 15k. 23k is the utter maximum!
Step 5: Texture it!
Step 6: Lightmapping. This is probably the worst part! The best things to use are 3D Studio Max 9 and VRay. There is a tutorial for Max on here.
Step 7: Animations. Make the characters move! You need 3D Studio Max R3 with Character Studio.
Step 8: Scripting. Probably easiest to modify the script for an existing bridge here!
Step 9: Porting. Get the model ingame.
Step 10: Alpha testing. Check that it works properly.
Step 11: Beta testing. Check that it works properly for everyone else!
Step 12: Release!

If I've missed anything feel free to add it!
MUSE!!!

Keyes

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 11:23:27 PM »
Ok i've started messing with modeling, how do i know what hight to make walls and stuff. does anyone have a tutorial or perhaps a practice model i can use to mess around with, I don't want to still anyones models i just want to learn.  Sorry to be asking so many questions, but i'm really interested in modding some bridges.

Offline lint

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 04:36:08 AM »
the initial building of the model/bridge can be as large as you want, the scaling of it for in game use happens later on after the model is finished, so its nothing you have to worry about untill its ready for porting :),
No need to be sorry about asking so many questions, thats part of why this forum exists  :lol:,
Im not sure which moddeling program your using but here are some links to some Interiors to play around with..

http://www.trekmeshes.ch/meshes/meshesdetails.php?Name=ENGINEROOM
http://www.trekmeshes.ch/meshes/meshesdetails.php?Name=OLYMPUSBRIDGE
http://www.trekmeshes.ch/meshes/meshesdetails.php?Name=SARODBAY
http://www.trekmeshes.ch/meshes/meshesdetails.php?Name=TOS_BRIDGE
http://www.trekmeshes.ch/meshes/meshesdetails.php?Name=BAYINTERIOR

all of them are in .3ds or .max version, a couple are also available for lightwave