Author Topic: Nova Class WIP  (Read 8062 times)

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
Nova Class WIP
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:15:41 PM »
Hey All,

After deciding to do a Re-texture of The LB Equinox/Nova i noticed the model itself is'nt what it could be,
So i have decided to do a Refit of the model aswell, (im still waiting for permission from LB for a release, untill then it will stay safe and private on my HD :),)

I hav'nt done much so far, but i have replaced the bridge area, New Nacelles and new escape pods instead of them just being textured on.

Almost Every canon ship has a good quality version for bc except the nova, and i think its time there is :)
If anyone has a link to some good reference pics for the nova, that would be helpful, im having trouble finding that many.

Opinions and suggestions are welcome and encouraged as usual :)

Offline CptBenSisko

• Cookies: 6
Re: Nova Class WIP
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 08:20:03 PM »
Looks good....keep it up...I need a good new Nova for a scout/science vessel..

Offline Shion

• Cookies: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 08:26:38 PM »
No offense, but looks like its going to be far to many polygons for a ship that size if you keep that amount of detail.  The escape pods really don't need to be modelled on.  Detailed texturing goes a long way to helping good models look great.  A ship doesn't need 15k polygons for it to look awesome.

Offline lint

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 08:33:21 PM »
yeah, the things i replaced bridge/nacelles are probably going to be the highest quality things on this model, the escape pods are done cause thats all the nova has, the rest of the changes will be cleaning up and smoothing parts, the rest of the moddeling wont be to the same level of detail

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 09:24:51 PM »
at last!  :)

Offline lint

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 10:14:42 PM »
woah, i cant believe it, i just sucesfully converted this .3ds into .nif and it actually worked in bc, i just have to fix the scaling so it does'nt face upwards and is'nt the size of a starbase  :lol:

Offline Dawg81

• Cookies: 29
  • I am Dawg; Resistence is futile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 11:16:08 PM »
Hey All,

After deciding to do a Re-texture of The LB Equinox/Nova i noticed the model itself is'nt what it could be,
So i have decided to do a Refit of the model aswell, (im still waiting for permission from LB for a release, untill then it will stay safe and private on my HD :),)

I hav'nt done much so far, but i have replaced the bridge area, New Nacelles and new escape pods instead of them just being textured on.

Almost Every canon ship has a good quality version for bc except the nova, and i think its time there is :)
If anyone has a link to some good reference pics for the nova, that would be helpful, im having trouble finding that many.

Opinions and suggestions are welcome and encouraged as usual :)

Ask and ye shall receive

Offline lint

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 12:21:39 AM »
oh, in that case, i could really use some hot lovin ;)..

I decided to model some new Nacelle Pylons aswell to compliment the new nacelles,
The old pylons just did'nt look right supporting the new engines.
The poly count is still lowish as well so dont worry :).
Does anyone think the Blades on the nacelle's should be a little smaller?, im not too sure if i got the size right, i think they might be a little too big?

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 12:52:32 AM »
This is looking awesome! Great job so far.

Yes, I would have to say that the blades on the nacelles are a bit too big... but not by much.

Offline lint

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 02:45:03 AM »
Another quick update before i go out.

I have reduced the size of the blades and ripped out the entire secondry Deflector Dish and put in a new one, next thing todo is fix the crimping around the phaser arrays and put 2 little ones on the aft of the saucer, 1 on the belly and 2 under the saucer.

Offline Jb06

• Cookies: 968
  • JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 03:04:02 AM »
Im glad you decided to go with my decision. the model you found looks great. if you need any hand with any textures nip over to our section over at bcs.

~Jb06

JL Studios

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 07:38:16 AM »
Model on ALL the phaser strips!!!

:arms:

Only the 2 strips on the saucer were modeled on. The rest were textured which made it just look bad, aswell as the bad textures.

Cant wait to see more progress on this. I agree that the escape pods dont need to be modeled. They can easily be textured on.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 07:50:50 AM »
try these - many many screenshots of the Voyager episode it was in :)
http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=153
http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=180

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 08:35:36 AM »
With all the changes you've made to the original model, why not go all the way and model the full ship from scratch?
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline NeoKaede

• Cookies: 4
  • We're watching you... scum.
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 08:49:20 AM »
FINALLY!

I hope this will end the curse of the Nova :P

Offline lint

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 08:51:27 AM »
yeah, i think i may have to remove the escape pods, they push the poly count up around 19000 with them and if im going to put in all the phaser arrays its gonna go alot higher, and im the long run its more important to have modelled phaser arrays instead of escape pods in a game like bc ;)

@dark,
My Modelling abilities arn't advanced enough to do a whole ship from scratch yet, but i have an original ship design in my head im going to start working on after this baby is done :)

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 10:00:08 AM »
My biggest gripe about the existing Novas is that no one has ever properly modeled the torpedo launchers even though the are visible on the saucer. Lint do your best and ill give ya a cookie or 2. And i agree build the phaser arrays they look so much better than textured ones

Offline lint

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Ask and ye shall receive ;)
i have never noticed torpedo launchers but then again i have never really looked for them, i will rectify that now :)

Offline lint

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 10:59:32 AM »
Just double checking to be safe,
these are the only things that resemble torpedo launchers on the saucer so im guessing these are it?

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 11:59:08 AM »
Just double checking to be safe,
these are the only things that resemble torpedo launchers on the saucer so im guessing these are it?

You would be correct. Have a cookie
And dont forget the lateral phaser arrays on the aft sec hull by the shuttlebay