Author Topic: DJ Galaxy Class Now Available @ BCFiles  (Read 56056 times)

Offline Blackrook32

• BC Files Admin
  • Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1077
    • Blackrook32's YouTube Channel
Re: DJ Galaxy Class
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 01:38:36 PM »
I love the overall shape of this Galaxy model. Looks like a dead-ringer for my ERTL Model. Nice work there.

" Fortune Favors the Bold "

DragnLord

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 02:50:19 PM »
Wonderful work DJ.
What software are you using, and have you thought about making some tutorials for us "modeling impaired"?

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 02:59:29 PM »
DJ,
You left out one little detail on the nacelles...the outline of the emblem *ducks knowing you know that* LOL.  Nah, this is lookin hella good :).  Can't wait to DL it...and hope I have a computer WORTHY of this masterpiece soon (TAX TIME :D)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 03:24:01 PM »
eclipse74569-->Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

DragnLord--> I use max 5 to make both mesh and textures.  i could make tutorials, but then I wouldn't have time to make ships. lol

Finished off the tops of the nacelles, and started on the bottom.  here's some beauty shots.

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 04:21:28 PM »
Throughout all of the models used for the Galaxy class in all of the ST shows that had a Galaxy ship, this would have absolutely been the best by far for its excellent "hybridness" and overall quality... if only you worked for the SFX dept during the shows DJ  :D

Superb.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 05:31:43 PM »
Well, i was only 12 when TNG went off the air, and 17 when DS9 did, so I'd have been a bit young. ;)  But I appreciate the sentiment.  You know, it's funny, when I set out building this ship, i was trying to match that season 3-7 model, and in a lot of ways, I think I've succeeded.  But you are right, this ship has turned mostly into a hybrid of all the models (real and cgi) used.  So far, I'm very satisfied with the results.

Offline MickJo

• Cookies: 7
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 05:46:54 PM »
Absolutly stunning work, DJ. She is really coming along.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 07:24:27 PM »
LET THERE BE LIGHT!!

At least a basic lightmap, that is.  Just a placeholder.

Also, I'm don the bottom of the nacelles.  Eclipse, I also fixed the emblems on the nacelles.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 08:41:30 PM »
truly stunning, DJ!!  :D
*gives cookie*

I'm afraid that when your Galaxy Class is released, mine are gonna be relegated to the scrap heap lol!!  :lol:
awwww  *hugs Glenn*  yours is beautiful still!!  :)
no worries, mon ami - we all need something for target practice :P  hehe J/K *ducks and runs*

LS Marie

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 09:35:03 PM »
Yup.  Even I like this design and usually when he asks me to look at his work I have no real clue what's so special about it.  (I maintain a repertoire of generic responses like "looks dandy" and "nice additions" in my vocabulary). 

Thus, I hereby nickname this vessel the USS Awesome

Offline Rat Boy

• Cookies: 6
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 09:54:10 PM »
I've recently become a Galaxy-class fan thanks to this model.
Writer, Star Trek: Yorktown - A saga of the 23rd Century

Coming soon, I hope

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 01:44:53 AM »
Getting there folks, getting there.

As you can see, I've started out on the bottom of the saucer, and it's coming along.  I've had quite my fill of aztecing for the day, though.  Then again, that's not so bad when you consider how many lifeboats and windows I'm about to rotate and place by hand individually.  Oh well, after that, the only major part still to do for the exterior body is the bottom of the cobra head.  I'm leaving that to last so that i can ensure everything lines up smoothly between the neck and the saucer.

After all the texturing is done, I will move on to building the battle bridge area which is hidden, and then texturing that as well as the separated saucer indentation.

Oh yeah, and the windows around the saucer rim.  Those are gonna be a pain in the arse.

In other words, even though it looks like things are nearly complete, they really aren't.  It will be a challenge to turn the model into two parts without pooching the mapping, but I'm not worried about it.

Anyhow, pix.

Offline CptBenSisko

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 02:00:14 AM »
Simply stunning DJ...simply stunning...she looks better and better every day...

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2007, 02:45:08 AM »
And just like that....

windows and lifeboats!

i think it's bed time now. :arms:

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2007, 07:55:19 AM »
Thus, I hereby nickname this vessel the USS Awesome
how about USS Sam?  :D

(lol ok sorry for spamming, couldnt resist :P)

Offline CptBenSisko

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2007, 10:31:49 AM »
OMG...I just wanna...tear the thing out of my LCD screen and fly it around like it was a toy!! Amazing friggin work DJ..simply stunning..I can't say it enough....

bsilver2988

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2007, 11:39:06 AM »
i know this is still very preliminary, but i was wondering, are you planning on changing the textures of the bussard collectors?

Looks amazing btw!

Jay Crimson

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007, 12:52:40 PM »
My question is, will we be seeing the original glowing buzzard collectors, or have you considered breaking away from canon slightly by animating them much has seen on the BC sovie model?

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Cookies: 190
  • Captain - USS Explorer
    • Captain Elgy's Star Trek Files
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »
My question is, will we be seeing the original glowing buzzard collectors, or have you considered breaking away from canon slightly by animating them much has seen on the BC sovie model?

I would argue against that, I don't think the Galaxy would look right with animated nacelles.

Superb work DJ, the Galaxy is really coming on quite nicely. I'm glad to see that you included the windows that are just in front of the Captains Yacht, these details are missing on quite a lot of the models that have been released in the past. Also great work on the ventral windows and registry, they look canon and are perfectly positioned too.

Weldone!!
  8)

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2007, 02:04:35 PM »
OMG. I have fallen in love the Queen of Starfleet all over again. Excellent work. :D