Author Topic: DJ Galaxy Class Now Available @ BCFiles  (Read 56070 times)

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
Re: DJ Galaxy Class
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
quick idea DJ, have you considered rendering the back of the deflector using VRAY? it should ensure you get the best quality texture.

Offline Shinzon

• Cookies: 9
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2007, 04:12:22 PM »
very VERY cool

Offline Rat Boy

• Cookies: 6
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2007, 08:31:54 PM »
DJ, mind if I ask which Galaxy model you're using as a reference?  The 6 footer, the 4 footer, or the CGI model used for the ENT finale?
Writer, Star Trek: Yorktown - A saga of the 23rd Century

Coming soon, I hope

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2007, 09:33:56 PM »
I believe he said the 4-footer

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2007, 10:57:23 AM »
DJ, mind if I ask which Galaxy model you're using as a reference?  The 6 footer, the 4 footer, or the CGI model used for the ENT finale?

4 foot model with 6 foot textures.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

yanlou

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2007, 12:25:16 PM »
*drools* iv always loved this ship, so elegant and majestic and youve made it even more so DJ,  :D

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2007, 02:28:31 PM »
Wow.  DJ, I didn't think you'd take me seriously LOL.  I thought you had known that there was a blackish blue outline around the starfleet emblem on the nacelles (even around the Delta shield.).

It's coming along greatly, and as your wife said I do believe this should be named U.S.S. Awesome...or for quirks...USS Spiffy! (sorry Jimmy, USS Sam is taken by me :P USS Samuel Wall ;) still like the cat though lol)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

FURNACE

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2007, 03:01:42 PM »
I was thinking just the USS GALAXY since this is the epiphany of the Galaxy class vessel.

or maybe the USS CHARLOTTE after Charlottes web since this ship is a lady.

Looking Beautiful ..

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2007, 10:21:39 AM »
dj, something I saw you said in the other thread, about bump mappings.
you wanted to add a realistic bump mapping without actually bump mapping the mesh.
maybe if you edited the specular textures to be around 40/70% grey for the specular itself and reserve strong whites and blacks to place around the bumping effect. that will increase the contrast and give a true looking sharp edge effect.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2007, 12:23:22 PM »
Sorry no updates in a couple of days.  I've been working on the saucer section windows, and I didn't want to post until they were done.  Man was that tedious.  In order to really get them to look good i had to map each horizontal polygon segment individually.  A cylinder map just looked like hell.

Nighthawk--> I'll refer back to your idea if what I've got planned doesn't work out.

FURNACE--> I'll probably do a USS Galaxy at some point anyhow.

eclipse--> I saw the outline there, but I wasn't sure if it was as a result of the illustration I'm working off of, so I checked some screen shots from the show, and it's there.

Rat Boy--> The original intention was to replicate the four foot model, but it has become a blend in every respect.

Mark--> No i hadn't.  The deflector texture is integrated on one big texture with other stuff.

Jay Crimson--> The bussard collectors are a tough thing to get right.  i'm not going to leave them as is.

Anyhow, here's a picture of things right now.  Basically the only stuff left to do on this first round of texturing is the bottom of the cobra head, and the inside vertical faces of the nacelle pylons.  Then it's on to round two... DETAILS!!

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2007, 12:37:23 PM »
You know, it's funny, when I set out building this ship, i was trying to match that season 3-7 model, and in a lot of ways, I think I've succeeded.
It's noticeable that that's what you started with when I look at the neck and the deflector dish.  The seasons 3-7 model always rubbed me the wrong way, and this model does so as well.

I will definitely give you props on the nacelles, however.  You've made the most detailed nacelle hull textures I've ever seen!  Very nice work, there.  The underside of the saucer is also very good.  Also, I'm glad to see you've ditched the raised hull panels. :dance

While it won't be replacing my SNS Galaxy Class (which I may replace with the CE Galaxy; I haven't decided yet), it's still a darn nice mesh.

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Cookies: 190
  • Captain - USS Explorer
    • Captain Elgy's Star Trek Files
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2007, 02:12:56 PM »
Superb work on those windows DJ, look very accurate indeed!!  8)

Sorry no updates in a couple of days.  I've been working on the saucer section windows, and I didn't want to post until they were done.  Man was that tedious.

Tell me about it!!

One of the things I really hated doing was the Alpha Channels for all 400+ windows on the ship, especially on the dorsal saucer.

Be patient my friend, I think everybody here wants to see the best Galaxy possible!!.

Nice update, keep 'em coming lol
 :D

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2007, 03:04:07 PM »
for fun

Offline Dawg81

• Cookies: 29
  • I am Dawg; Resistence is futile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2007, 03:18:48 PM »
show off!!! have a cookie

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2007, 03:21:48 PM »
mmmm,  delicious.  for the cookie, you get another video. :D

Jay Crimson

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2007, 07:49:12 PM »
In that case, *gives DJ a large cake* :P

Anyway, I like the windows, they are pretty sharp!

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2007, 08:21:24 PM »
cool vids but IMO they are a little fast...
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2007, 08:25:24 PM »
yeah, i made them fast on purpose so no one could see the shoddy textures. lol

Offline Chronocidal Guy

• Cookies: 296
  • Obsessive detailing is just what I do.
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2007, 09:24:22 PM »
There may be an easy way to make the alpha channels, but it depends on the software.. When I made the windows for the CG Sov, they were all duplicates of a large master window texture, shrunk to fit.  I kept all the duplicates as separate objects, and once they were done, I selected them all, then copied and pasted them onto a black texture of the same size.  Then you just alter the brightness/contrast until the windows turn pure white, and you have your light map. :)

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • I make ships.
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2007, 09:39:29 PM »
Since I make my textures in max, alpha channels are simply.  Since the windows are all separate objects, I just make the ones I want turned on, white, and then just hide all other objects and have a black background.  It takes a minute.